A New Appreciation for the Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

A New Appreciation for the Brutale

As you know from my earlier posts my initial ownership experience (about a month now) for a recently acquired 2006 Brutale S has not been without some issues.

Thanks to several members of this forum (especially CAG) I've taken a different approach to the bike, and have a far greater understanding and appreciation for it.

Over the last few weeks I've ridden in rain (mild, heavy) during bright daylight and after dark, in city traffic and on open roads. Some of the riding was on the "sport" side of life, others was speed limit riding almost vertically, with no sport at all.

The bike does well in the sport riding areas, and now that I understand it better, it is actually not bad as a commuter. I didn't have very much throttle skill, partly remedied by lots of practice. The instant acceleration becomes addictive very quickly. I've learned to not jump on the throttle, which does wonders for keeping the front wheel on the ground. From a rolling start acceleration is remarkable.

Some gripes remain - the bike continues to stall often and at seemingly random times, the idle isn't stable - moves from 1250 to 2500 and back all the time, the battery is still weak - even with a constant battery tender. But all of that will be addressed soon as I've spent an hour with the local MV Agusta mechanic and he believes that much of this can be fixed/adjusted. Am I a bit frustrated that I'll have to spend some money to get these things taken care of - maybe a bit, but even if I add in the repair/upkeep costs (I told the mechanic to change all the fluids and give it a full service) sales and property taxes and insurance, the total cost is still a third less than the list price four years ago. And that's before delivery, setup taxes, etc.

It's pretty hard to argue that "for the money" the Brutale is an amazing value. What I've come to learn over the last few weeks is that the Brutale is an amazing value, regardless of the cost.

I've not had a machine that combines the performance, looks and smiles per mile of the Brutale.

So a big THANK YOU to all the members of this forum who have probably heard similar gripes from "newbie" owners over the years, but provide information, knowledge and friendship to help over the initial "buyers remorse" (my earlier post).

Thanks to all. Sophia and I are going for another ride. (She still likes to drink - not over 30 MPG yet - but almost always at/over 5K RPMS).

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Established Member

Just got back from a ride on mine....man what a bike

Last edited by CodeRed; 05-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Established Member

I've had mine for just over 2 weeks and I put about 500 miles on it. I have two complaints and neither is big. First is the gas mileage. It's unbelievable how bad it is. I just have to be mindful when heading into areas that may have a bit if distance between stops to top off heck, at my age it's lime frequent trips to the bathroom to pee.

The second is the seat. I slide a lot on it and it has no support. I may just by the corbin or a Sargent I prefer to get mine done but don't want to lay the bike up without a core.

That being said it is by far my favorite bike and I can't stop riding it. Since it is an R it came with the corse exhaust and chip so vie had no stalling issues (knock on wood). Consider an exhaust and a pc or race ecru it may help the stalling.

The true man wants two things: danger and
play. For that reason he wants woman, as the
most dangerous plaything. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
col

New Site Garage
len

get your dealer to get the bike on the dyno and set it up and clear the default program
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Just dropped off my Brutale at the dealer to resolve her stalling issue (she doesn't like idling at 1,200, so we'll see what we can do about upping that a bit). Going to miss riding her - she comes back on Wednesday.

Also, 30mpg? Good luck! 27's the highest I've reached

'06 MV Brutale 910
'00 Monster 900Sie (sold)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 PM

New Site Garage
Len - great to hear you're feeling much better about your purchase....yes that stalling issue does need attention...but I can hear some satisfication in your tone - all the best

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 AM

After I had throttle bodies sync'd and the o2/afr adjusted (was on the rich side) my stalling issues went away. Bike drove a lot better at lower speeds and had better gas mileage.

2009 Hypermotard 1100 w/ 2-1 Termi Kit

Past: 2006 Brutale 910s...an F4 to replace it winter 2010.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:51 AM

For those with low MPG issue: try BODIS eprom. You can get it for 750 and for 910 Euro 2.

It reduced my fuel consumption from 8.5l/100km to 6.5l/100km, about 20-25% improvement. It works the best when you have no cat on the bike.

You can get it from Vesuvio.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:07 PM

I know how it feels to have a new purchase disappoint. My ducati was a nitemare due to botched tyres and suspension setup. Once fixed, you quickly forget all the previous woes. Although I still kick myself for getting the Duc over the brute 910r.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihaSLO View Post
For those with low MPG issue: try BODIS eprom. You can get it for 750 and for 910 Euro 2.

It reduced my fuel consumption from 8.5l/100km to 6.5l/100km, about 20-25% improvement. It works the best when you have no cat on the bike.

You can get it from Vesuvio.
Thanks Miha
here is the link http://www.vesuvioracing.com/466_514...usts-bodis.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode