750 Chain/Sprocket replacement - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
750 Chain/Sprocket replacement

Good afternoon my fellow Brutes and Brutettes - thought'd I'd lodge a post on my chain and sprocket change for anyone's edification.

The original chain on my 750 S had been severely stretched (~20,000 km)...and as I'm sure you all know, you're supposed replace the sprockets when replacing the chain.

The 750s were produced with a 520 Gauge chain and fixed rear-sprocket (fixed being that you couldn't just replace the outer-tooth-ring, you had to replace the entire rear-sprocket set). In discussons on the forum I'm pretty sure it was Mr. Eddy who confirmed that the 910 models were released with a 525 gauge.

As is always the case, the sensational Mr. CAG came to the party with a great deal on a near-new 40 tooth rear sprocket which was a 525 gauge.

My mechanic (who sourced the front sprocket) gave me some interesting feedback. Basically his view is that the 520 gauge is an acceptable chain for bikes producing sub 75bhp - the MV's produce far too much for a 520 and should have always used a 525. There is simply far too much grunt being torqued through the chain for it to have any decent life-span. Additionally, the 530 gauge is generally used for larger big bores like the Harley's (if you're swapping from belt to chain) ...but perhaps some can also confirm that the MotoGP and WSBK bikes might also run with a 530?

My experience: The swap to a 525 chain (and obviously not having a chain that look's like a kids pair of jeans hanging round their arse) has been outstanding. Firm, crisper response and all round greater feel on the throttle.

My advice: If you got a 750, change the chain and sprocket to a 525 gauge as soon as you can ! - I'm sure you'll love the chain-ge (sic)

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 AM

Good feedback. Did you stick with standard ratios on the sprockets or did you change? I'm wondering how lowering to a 39 rear (on a 750 Brute) would run...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Its interesting you don't feel the 520 pitch is up to the job- 520 pitch has been used on gp bikes for donkeys years and they never let go, only in recent have they upped the pitch gauge, even the 180bhp gp 2 stokes were using 520.

Its a subjective topic but im sticking with the lighter 2bhp freeing 520 pitch, till it snaps anyway :-)

"The first rule of Italian driving: Whats behind me is not important" 'The Gumball Rally' 1976
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hey guys,
Beearch (LOL needs a hyphen ;-)....I changed from a 41 to 40, I'd need to do another track day to give you a better view of "teeth change" performance though.

James...wasn't me, but my mechanic...I'd probably suggest to you that the 520 is good when you can change your chain every race ...us mere mortals are looking for a little bit more longevity

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Hey guys,
Beearch (LOL needs a hyphen ;-)....I changed from a 41 to 40, I'd need to do another track day to give you a better view of "teeth change" performance though.
No worries. How are you finding street riding? I had the opp to do some freeway kms the other day and the 750 revs too high on the standard sprox, about 6500-7000 rpms at ~110kph...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Previous sprocket T-41 had me at 125kph @ ~6000 rpm. Going to the T40 has me doing slightly less KPH at same revs. Mind you 6-7k revs is just moving into the sweet spot, I wouldn't say it was reving high - but on the standard sprocket, that speed sounds a little down?

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode