Battery acid on rear swingarm - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Battery acid on rear swingarm

Hi

Acid from my first battery spilled on the swingarm.
A lot of the fluid is everywhere and it looks like it has scratched the surface slightly.

My question to you is:

does the acid affect the condition of the aluminum?
is this dangerous? Do i need to change the swingarm?

I got a new Yuasa battery and its working fine.

Thanks

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM

I had that happen to my 2004 Brutale 750S back in 06. It looked like birdshit all over the swing arm. Had to send the bike to the importer who replaced the swing arm under warranty. I don't know if there's another fix. Apparently there was a faulty battery cradle design in the early days, which they replaced too. I've since sold the 750 and I'm now on a 910R.
Good luck...
M

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 AM

I also seem to remember they had to replace my rear shock which had copped some acid too.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The acid damage can be cleaned and repaired. Surface corrosion. Wash everything with baking soda solution and then refinish. Best to disassemble so you can get to everywhere.

Exception would be drive chain. If acid got onto that I would replace it. Any acid that got between rollers will accelerate wear in that area and could cause breakage.

Question is...why did the battery leak? Was it a Yuasa or some other brand? AGM type batteries should not be able to leak if properly set-up.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Yes... looks like a lot of birdshit..some white, some black... and some may have reached the rear shock am afraid. Not obvious that spills reached the drive chain.

I bought the bike brand new from the MV agent in the UK +1year ago.
The original battery was not a Yuasa...I dont recall the brand.
I did +/- 9000km on the bike, ignition became a problem which i assumed was because i was travelling a lot and sometimes not using the bike for several weeks in a row. I had to spark it using another battery and i beleive this is what may have caused the damage....

esq'z me.... if i clean with baking soda, what paint do i use to refurbish? i would really like to get rid of the stains...and hope they cause no risk for the swingarm to crack.

Thanks for the input.

Michael
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I don't think you need worry about the swing arm breaking...what ever color match paint you find. Maybe take the parts to a good auto body and paint shop?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode