The 'Other Bike'....thoughts on a fun partner for the 1078RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

The 'Other Bike'....thoughts on a fun partner for the 1078RR

Been thinking about letting my 09 CBR1000RR go and getting a mid-sized fun bike. My 1078RR is being used to too much traffic / commuting as I am riding it much more over the blade. Now, I love the blade for track days but I will probably give these a rest for a while and it bothers my neck riding round town.

I have been evaluating light mid sized bikes and test rode a few over the last few days. The new Monster 1100S, an Aprilia Shiver 750 and a BMW F800R. I am more into a twin to give some alternative character and I don't like the jap mid sized low torque IL4 offerings, and wont go for a street trip either.

A few people I know have been raving about the Monster 1100 as a ultra light torque monster. I rode an Ohlins suspended S version and I can say the engine did not impress, I really did not take to it at all. The fueling was very poor indeed. The suspension was amazing though but the power train on the bike overall felt very unrefined and agricultural. I had an S4R before so I know what twins are like, but this one I did not like at all. Getting back on the 1078RR after it was a revelation.

Onwards to the Aprilia Shiver. Very nice engine noise, gutsy engine, good attention to detail. High seat but very comfy. Very weird feel to the drive by wire throttle. Bike did not feel that nimble to me but very nice all round but I am not sure I could gel with the drive by wire throttle. I was gutted I never fell for this bike as I had always loved the look of them.

Then the BMW F800R. What a neat little bike.....this thing was very fun. Fueling was great, Parallel twin engine was very eager and while it did not rev out as far as the shiver, it felt very strong in the mid range. Got a little buzzy up top but much less shudder at very low RPM than the v twins so it felt like it had much more usable range. I loved banging around on this bike. If felt very light, comfortable riding position and good suspension. Nice and compliant even when leaned over over rough roads. I was taking familiar bends as quick as I would on the 1078RR on this bike which quite frankly shocked me.

So......I am seriously thing about dropping the blade for an F800R and having a fun bike for the week. I have ordered a "Chris Pfieffer" special edition F800R subject to sale of my bike with a refundable deposit and will need to finally decide when it gets here in 5 weeks.

One thing I realized during riding these bikes is how good the 1078RR is with the Microtec. It has far better throttle response and smooth on/off with the microtec than any of these new bikes or my 09 blade. Power wise, obviously none of these can hole a candle to the grunt of the 1078, the engine is just massively powerful everywhere. It will out torque with big twins right off idle without shaking your head off, and run with the baddest IL4s on the top. The engine has almost limitless range. Sure, the blade will roll on it at high RPMs but the 1078 destroys it on the street 99% of the time. I could NEVER sell the 1078 as I truly think its an absolute amazing thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Established Member

Give the Duc a chance, with the race exhaust/ECU it completely changed the character of my Hyper.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Established Member

Nothing wrong with the BMW, a very good choice. Before making the final decision you may want to check out the Triumph Speed Triple. Lots of torque, comfortable sitting position, a bit different from other bikes. There are two flavors to choose from - 675 and 1050.

In some ways it will remind you of the Brutale, and if you want a different feel, the BMW may be the better choice. Instead of the BMW I went with the Honda VFR, a V4 engine that was a lot of fun. It's a bit more aggressive than the Triumph or the BMW for the seating position (clip ons a bit lower than the others, but easy to remedy with third market risers). The VFR felt "right", but for some the engine's design that employs a shifting cam at 7K RPMs is an acquired taste. I liked it, you may or may not. VFRs are dirt cheap right now - lots around and dealers looking to unload.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM

My buddy has a street triple R with a full exhuast. Man that bike is mean! It sounds like a race bike, the torque and top end are really nice on it. I wll also try the super duke, I heard really good things about that bike.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

It could have been a poor example of the M1100. It did have termis on it with no baffles which were properly loud and I am wondering if it had the right ECU in. I should probably take a stock one out. The KTM superduke is awesome but beyond my price point and the fuel range on the second have ones with the small tank is poor. Not too keen on the transformer plastic look. I think both the SD and the SpeedT are getting too similar in intent to the Brutale and getting up there with power / weight.

I have had a Sprint ST1050 before so familiar with the triples but was never impressed with build quality on the triumphs and not too keen on on the stock suspension on the speedT. Will keep test riding though, thats the fun part.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Nothing wrong with the BMW, a very good choice. Before making the final decision you may want to check out the Triumph Speed Triple. Lots of torque, comfortable sitting position, a bit different from other bikes. There are two flavors to choose from - 675 and 1050.

In some ways it will remind you of the Brutale, and if you want a different feel, the BMW may be the better choice. Instead of the BMW I went with the Honda VFR, a V4 engine that was a lot of fun. It's a bit more aggressive than the Triumph or the BMW for the seating position (clip ons a bit lower than the others, but easy to remedy with third market risers). The VFR felt "right", but for some the engine's design that employs a shifting cam at 7K RPMs is an acquired taste. I liked it, you may or may not. VFRs are dirt cheap right now - lots around and dealers looking to unload.
+1, my mate has the 25th annivesary model with an arrows exhaust & sounds amazing, rides great & he lives right in the middle if Sydney (Pyrmont) so it rides in traffic a fair bit & it does well & in comfort.

I want something else as well to add to the F4 but the way I am wired it can only be another MV - so I am hanging out for the friggin' triple to get built. Failing that, it has to be a Brute I guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
So many options

I am not sure what your budget is, but having ridden most naked bikes on th market in the last few years, I am a big fan of the uprights for what you are seeking...

As a result, my first choice would be the ktm super duke...it has much of the character of the brute, but with a v twin, rugged, fast and so practical.

I reckon the street triple is an ok choice but I am thinking you will miss the grunt of the 1078 too much...the trumpy seems to perform best when screaming at around 8000 rpm, which ain't real practical for city riding? The speed triple is just heavy and getting old!

My final choice is the k1200/k1300 Beemer. If you can afford, the 1300 is insane!! Again the 1200 is so practical, reliable and fast!!

Oh, and as an outside, the hypermotard will work, but with some mods!

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 PM

Had my K1300S serviced recently, so I took an F800R for a spin.

Awesome little bike, I really had a blast riding it around town. To be honest, if I didn't do some longer country runs, I'd prefer the F800R over my KS.

Great bang for your buck.

SENNA 070/300
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 AM

check out the 2011 Triumph Daytona R specced up version of last years model...looks pretty cool. I think if i was in the market i'd be at least looking
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle46 View Post
check out the 2011 Triumph Daytona R specced up version of last years model...looks pretty cool. I think if i was in the market i'd be at least looking
Except the CBR is already giving Davman a back ache...the Daytona will cripple him!!!

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode