Just bought a '04 Brutale - Bike keeps running with key off! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a '04 Brutale - Bike keeps running with key off!

Hi all,

I just purchased an '04 Brutale with 7500 miles yesterday.

Ran the bike yesterday and today and no problems. Starts right up.

I washed the bike with water earlier today and rode it for about an hour. No problems.

The problem started when I disconnected the battery to add a battery tender connector. I re-plugged in the battery and started the bike. I immediately noticed that my headlight was not on, but everything else was working correctly.

I turned the key to the 'off' position and the bike continued to run! I even hit the red engine shutoff button and the bike still ran.

At this point, I unplugged the battery and the bike immediately died.

Anytime I plug in the battery again, you can hear the fuel pump priming. It only stops if I unplug the battery or remove the fuel pump fuse.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems the fuel pump relay is 'stuck' in the on position. Is the relay located within the fuse box?

I lifted the tank, disconnected the 2 connectors going into the fuse box and reinstalled.. Same problem.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased an '04 Brutale with 7500 miles yesterday.

Ran the bike yesterday and today and no problems. Starts right up.

I washed the bike with water earlier today and rode it for about an hour. No problems.

The problem started when I disconnected the battery to add a battery tender connector. I re-plugged in the battery and started the bike. I immediately noticed that my headlight was not on, but everything else was working correctly.

I turned the key to the 'off' position and the bike continued to run! I even hit the red engine shutoff button and the bike still ran.

At this point, I unplugged the battery and the bike immediately died.

Anytime I plug in the battery again, you can hear the fuel pump priming. It only stops if I unplug the battery or remove the fuel pump fuse.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems the fuel pump relay is 'stuck' in the on position. Is the relay located within the fuse box?

I lifted the tank, disconnected the 2 connectors going into the fuse box and reinstalled.. Same problem.

Help!
See the other thread: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17575

But the internal relays in the SPU are stuck on (hence it keeps running). Nothing you can do about it. New bit needed.

Note i had this issue once with my 06 910R about 6 months ago, but it went away - so the SPU was on its way then...

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

I let the bike sit for a few hours on the battery charger, replugged the fuel pump fuse and no more priming! Strange.. I think my battery may be dead, as I think it's the original battery from '04.

I'll see if everything works ok tomorrow as it's too late to run the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Are you sure you have connected the battery correctly? Many owners have mistakenly reversed polarity and experience the problems you are having.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Are you sure you have connected the battery correctly? Many owners have mistakenly reversed polarity and experience the problems you are having.
Yes, i'm positive that i did not reverse polarity. It seems after doing some research that a lot of problems come after washing the bike with water. I won't be doing that again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

ok, so I just started the bike, the headlights don't work. Neither high beam or low beam.

I started to remove the bulbs one by one to test -- start the bike and turn it off, bike is still running! I wait a few seconds and it shuts off itself.

Looks like i'll just order a new CDI/SPU unit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered a new CDI/SPU unit from Munroe Motors in San Francisco. $420 with tax.

Pricey, but i'll be glad to see all the problems gone and finally able to ride the bike I just bought!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode