SPU issue? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

SPU issue?

So I posted a few days ago about maybe buying an 04 Brutale, I asked about the issues with the SPU and you guys replied with lights going haywire.

So tonight I went and looked at it, rode it (FRICKEN AWESOME), checked the lights and the hub like I was told, and everything was working fine. I trailered it home, no rain or anything, and went for a ride. I went maybe 15 miles (once again so much better than everything I've owned), stopped got gas, went another 20 or so, and came back to my place. Turned it off, took the manual out of the trunk and sat in my chair and started reading. Then after I got to the section about the set button and how to go through the menu's, I went back out and started it up and set the clock, zeroed the trips. When I tried to turn it off it wouldn't go off. Lights would all turn off, but the engine would just run a little faster with the key off. I finally ended up running inside to get a screwdriver and took the positive lead off the battery to turn it off. and now the low beam doesnt work, just traveling light and high beam.

Please any info is appreciated because I am sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The relays that you are triggering when you set the clock, etc are all inside the SPU....sounds like it just bit the dust!!! Symptoms you describe (not shutting off engine, headlight not coming on) fit the bill.

Sorry for the bad news, but new part is improved for reliability, so that's good news.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats sucks. The low beam doesnt work still, but as long as after I start it a ride it for a few miles it turns off, if I start it, which people want me to do here at work since I just got it, It won't turn off, so then I have to go for a ride, shoot , and it turns off.

Where is the best place to get an SPU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Old Wing Nut

The latest part is available from any MV dealer. That's where I would go. Used may not be any better then you have (malfunctioning) or may be the unimproved part. Most of the dealers will do mail order. Find the US dealers on mvagustausa.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 PM

New Site Garage
+1 all the electrical gremlins I had on my '05 Brutale (similar to the ones you describe) went away when I got a new SPU installed at my local MV dealer. Not cheap but worth it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

looks like detroit is the closest, is it very difficult to install this? I don't really feel like making a 150 there and back drive.

I've always done everything on my other bikes, but am a little bit worried about working on this one on my own, it's a little more technically advanced than all the carbuerated bikes of worked on in the past.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM

New Site Garage
Hey Shoe7, fully support Eddy's view - just very very poor timing and sorry to hear about it. Additionally - DO NOT go the second hard part method.

My experience: I ordered on-line via Vesuvio and their OEM part site. Quoted the correct SPU Part number (found on the inside of the fuse cap). Vesuvio delivered to my door in under ten days (kept me in the loop at all times). My bike was rideable (low beam and indicators weren't working). I took the new part to my mechanic and he removed tank etc to replace the SPU. - You can do this all yourself following the manual's instructions...but as I had other stuff being done...just had him do it. (part cost me ~300EU...I was quoted $1250EU by the local Triumph dealer)

Note: Try to find at least a mechanic that has worked on MV's before - e.g. if they have the rear wheel hub socket and torque wrenches....that's a good sign :-)

Once replaced (4000km ago...I've never had any other problems)

cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Old Wing Nut

It is a very easy bike to work on. Service manuals are on line at one of our forum members sites.

Order the part and put it on...you will find it is not a big job. Plug and play !!!

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

You may want to first check that the battery is fully charged. I know it sounds weird, but my bike had similar symptoms, wouldn't shut off, or headlight stayed on when the key was off, and it was all cured by charging the battery. I know it sounds strange, but it's at least worth a check. Good luck.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM

I am having a similar experience at the moment. I had the bike out 4 days ago, ran perfectly. Went to get it to take it for a service and the battery is totally flat. mechanic reckons the black box is shot because headlight wont go off even with ignition off and keys out. 340 for new box.

Brutale,you gotta love it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode