Abrupt throttle for 2005 Brutale; Mirrors? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Abrupt throttle for 2005 Brutale; Mirrors?

Greetings. My first post.

Just bought a slightly used 05 Brutale S. This bike is a dream. Despite many years of riding, I don't ever recall being so excited about a bike! I especially like the bike's very compact dimensions. Fits my frame perfectly.

Now that I've had about 3 weekends of riding I'm starting to notice a few flaws. Perhaps the readers of this post can suggest a remedy or two.

The first issue is its very abrupt mid-throttle, perhaps at around +20 deg. I find it more sensitive than any other FI bikes I've owned. I believe this is exaggerated due to the engine's flywheel. I wonder if there is an easy fix I can try. I acknowledge that installing a Power Commander is an obvious choice.

The second issue its rather useless mirrors. The rubber isolation in its base makes their vibration worse, I think. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome Panaray and congratulations on your purchase !!

Can't advise on the mid-throttle...but the bike does launch above 6000rpm ;-)

Replace stock mirrors with Bar-ends (Rizoma's or alike), fixes vribration and does allow you to actually see what's behind you.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Established Member

Congrats on your purchase.

I recently had my bike in for a similar issue with the throttle & the guys were able to almost completely fix the issue by adjusting the throttle settings (I'm the first to acknowledge that I have no technical knowledge). Whatever they did, it can be improved dramatically.
I've just ordered the Rizoma Limit Naked mirrors for the same reasons, can't wit to get them.

MS4RS
910R
CB600F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Established Member

I picked up crg bar end mirrors from one of the site sponsors motivation they work great, along with their bar ends stopped vibration.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up Same old thing

Try Chris from X-bikes www.xbikes.cc for ECU and loosen the spring mount inside the mirror stalk a bit, i found that helped quite a bit.
Cheers

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM

Bar end mirrors are not the only solution. I've got Rizoma limit on mine which worked really well.

Check earlier thread http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29232
"Mirrors...not again" of last month. LOts of info in that.

Good luck

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Many thanks for the mirror suggestions. Dan_t, additional info would be appreciated. If it was simily a throttle adjustment, then perhaps I can figure it out.

BTW--anybody find the engine buzzy between 6k and 8k?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 AM

buzzy is probably your air intake vents below your tank, put hand on them when riding to see for sure
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Established Member

Well, this is along the lines of what Steve at Motorcycle Weaponry told me about the throttle........
There is a sensor that determines how much you have 'twisted' it & adjusts the fuel injected into the engine accordingly.
Apparently there is a bit of play in this, so the effect is that when you roll on the throttle, the system does not read that you have actually moved the throttle until you have rolled it on some more & by that time, it reads "crap! the throttle is on, I should go now!!!" resulting in an off or on situation, with very little in between.
The adjustment was made so that in a neutral position, the throttle sensor is sitting at the very end of that travel / play, meaning that with the smallest roll of your wrist, the bike acknowledges that you want to go somewhere.

I've probably got that whole thing completely wrong - as stated earlier, I'm no techy. Either way, it now works wonderfully, it's a blast to ride now & I'm not so concerned about throwing myself off mid corner as I try to power out.

I hope this helps.
If you really need to know what they did, you could always contact them, or send them an email, they're great guys; http://www.motorcycleweaponry.com.au/

MS4RS
910R
CB600F

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_t View Post
Well, this is along the lines of what Steve at Motorcycle Weaponry told me about the throttle........
There is a sensor that determines how much you have 'twisted' it & adjusts the fuel injected into the engine accordingly.
Apparently there is a bit of play in this, so the effect is that when you roll on the throttle, the system does not read that you have actually moved the throttle until you have rolled it on some more & by that time, it reads "crap! the throttle is on, I should go now!!!" resulting in an off or on situation, with very little in between.
The adjustment was made so that in a neutral position, the throttle sensor is sitting at the very end of that travel / play, meaning that with the smallest roll of your wrist, the bike acknowledges that you want to go somewhere.

I've probably got that whole thing completely wrong - as stated earlier, I'm no techy. Either way, it now works wonderfully, it's a blast to ride now & I'm not so concerned about throwing myself off mid corner as I try to power out.

I hope this helps.
If you really need to know what they did, you could always contact them, or send them an email, they're great guys; http://www.motorcycleweaponry.com.au/
I'll second your last comment dan_t.
M Weaponry did a great job on my bike too. Throttle is now almost civilised (although not quite, as you want to retain the Brute in the Brutale) as are suspensions. None of the stuttering on and off stuff any more. Even commuting in traffic is pure joy.

M

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode