Can't Diagnose Brutale Mechanical Problems!! Help plz - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Can't Diagnose Brutale Mechanical Problems!! Help plz

Hey.. I've spent countless time trying to figure this out:

I crossed the wires on my 06 brutale 910S - resulting in my fuel pump not priming. Innitial diagnosis was a blown diode, which I beleive is only in the F4 models to prevent this type of damage. After consulting MV mechanics they tell me there is no diode in 910S models. First step was replacing my CDI fuel box- (after innitially checking the fuses). This did not work. We tested and there is power running to the pump, so we tried replacing the pump. The pump didn't prime when connected, although we didn't completely install it in the tank, just connected it.

If anybody can think of anythign I might have missed, Im thinking of maybe sending out my ECU to get tested..?? I would love some help. Closest Mv shop is 5 hours away or so, unless somebody knows someone in the cincinnati area. I'd love to ride my bike sometime this season haha.. Thanks for any help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutrageousCo View Post

I crossed the wires on my 06 brutale 910S - resulting in my fuel pump not priming. Innitial diagnosis was a blown diode, which I beleive is only in the F4 models to prevent this type of damage. After consulting MV mechanics they tell me there is no diode in 910S models. First step was replacing my CDI fuel box- (after innitially checking the fuses). This did not work. We tested and there is power running to the pump, so we tried replacing the pump. The pump didn't prime when connected, although we didn't completely install it in the tank, just connected it.

If anybody can think of anythign I might have missed, Im thinking of maybe sending out my ECU to get tested..?? I would love some help. Closest Mv shop is 5 hours away or so, unless somebody knows someone in the cincinnati area. I'd love to ride my bike sometime this season haha.. Thanks for any help guys.
When you say "crossed the wires" do you mean battery leads or wires to the fuel pump?

Have you checked the 40AMP fuse? This is the one to the rear of the battery. There should be a spare there as well.

CDI is = a SPU - Service Power Unit.

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Not sure this will help but if you turn the key to the on position you will here the fuel pump for a few seconds as it primes the fuel. If this happens then that system should be working. Check to make sure you didn't fry the tps they are pretty sensitive. These are stabs in the dark. Would need a little more info. Is the bike cranking but not turning over? Not cranking? Do the light work? Also check the 40 amp fuse near the battery ( edit gremlin posted faster then me)

Last edited by endgrain; 04-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 AM

New Site Garage
..and when you say you replaced the CDI Fuel Box - Did you actually replace the Service Power Unit (the entire SPU black-box)...this should have cost you around 300Eu ? There can often be some confusion over this unit and as Endgrain suggested - are there any other symptoms you can tell us?

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by endgrain View Post
(edit gremlin posted faster then me)
FTW!!!

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutrageousCo View Post

Maybe the pump is bad. Send an email to the goober who sold it to you and ask him for another one.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys!!

I Crossed the wires on the battery.

I bought the complete black box, that contains the fuses, and yes it was expensive.

The only thing "wrong" is that the fuel pump won't prime!! It tries to crank and every single other light works.. Horn works as well.

Cag, thanks PM sent!

Any other imput is certainly appreciated

Dan-
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys.. ANY help would be super appreciated.

My fuel pump IS good.. My Fuse box was replaced, all my fuses are good. Power IS running to the plug for the fuel pump.. There are 4 wires going to the plug, 2 purple which have power, a green and a blue which don't. I get power to the pump when i run 1 power to the purple, and one ground to another purple.. and a ground to the blue.. which is weird..?

I am about to send my bike to a dealer if i can't figure this out, it is super frustrating!! -- Heres one idea thanks to Carl-

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=30466&page=2

Apparently on another 06 910S there is a diode, there is NO diode on mine.. is there a chance mine just blew off and I can't find it? If so how do I install it?

Any other ideas are sincerly apprecaited!!

Dan- 812 325 0701
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Just a thought and a complete stab in the dark here, but when you tested the pump you said it wasn't installed. Is there a ground that occurs on the pump when it is installed that maybe you didn't have since it wasn't completely installed.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Put the pump in the tank then prime the fuel pump the first time your self.
It should stay primed after that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode