Gear flange disengaged while riding - faulty clip? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Gear flange disengaged while riding - faulty clip?

Hi guys. Was riding today when all of a sudden noticed how the brute was slowing down gradually until coming to a complete stop. Turned out the gear flange thing assembly decided to come off the bike. Went a couple hundred meters back and found it lying on the road but didn't find the nut though. Luckily the wheel itself stayed with the bike while it was happening.
So well, the question is could a faulty clip be responsible for a loose nut in turn leading to this? A repairman says it could only happen if somebody intentionally pulled a clip out of the wheel and says it's quite easy to do so on the left side where the chain is, yet other folks suggest the clip itself could break which is also plausible given that I've been riding some rough roads lately (with a passenger too).
I want to understand why it's happened. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything like that?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Yep it can happen.
Attached Images

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
So well, the question is could a faulty clip be responsible for a loose nut in turn leading to this?
I had the wheel nut come loose on me, not acually come off like you guys, but the shop had not installed the clip correctly in the wheel and not toqued the nut correctly either.

The clip could certainly shear off given enough forces i would think? However, has the rear nut been off lately? If so, it has not been done up correctly.

Simon

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwidoc View Post
Yep it can happen.
Ahh - your lady told me the story of this one! phew!!

PS: Good to see you guys yesterday

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 AM

Oh my!!!! holy crap... This could just killed you....

I think better send the pic to MV Agusta to ask if there is any design defect.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie-MV View Post
Oh my!!!! holy crap... This could just killed you....

I think better send the pic to MV Agusta to ask if there is any design defect.
Dont get this thread started... my 312 wont do 312!

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've had chain adjusted a week or two prior to this. Thanks for the clues!
Kiwidoc, do you have any idea what could've triggered that in your case?
And how long do you guys think it could've normally taken from, say, sloppy tightening/missing clip to this nut actually coming loose?
I just don't want to blame the repair guys just yet even though some say it's definitely their fault...

All this makes me wonder what part will come off next. Hope the bearing is OK...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
All this makes me wonder what part will come off next. Hope the bearing is OK...
This is nothing, next you have to face issues with the hub, followed by PSU problems, then there will be the oil leak from the side stand. I just got used to all the issues. Also avoiding builtup areas helps with the cutting out. Oh and dont wash it very often .

Great machine otherwise. You have to say that tho , or else people will never want to buy a second hand one, or out of waranty for what that's worth.

Seriously tho my sprocket problem was 1500km after its "FIRST" hub check at 48,000km. I suspect it was something to do with not using loctite. I had cable tied the clip on even.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

But I've already had hub problems right before this happened - in November last year at 12000 km. All of a sudden the wheel rim started rubbing against the swinging arm but I've suspected some improper nut tightening at the service station some 6000 km before that could've slowly damaged it. But then a lot of people seemed to complain about hubs getting broken for no reason at all if memory serves me right. Replaced the hub, winter passed and 1000 km later this happens. Did you tighten it all the way? It just doesn't seem right. I didn't use any loctite either but that's not a requirement, right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Im using the loctite because I never had any problem before the hub was checked. We had to heat the nut to get it off. I assume that they used loctite at the factory. Just something you have to pay attention too now. Always checking the wheel .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode