Thank you for your help - I bought the Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thank you for your help - I bought the Brutale

Again, thanks to all the forum members for your help. My earlier posts ("AARP Cardholder", "Just took a ride") over the last few days were my first inquiries about the MV Agusta brand. Based on your replies, helpful information and great suggestions, I've progressed from an initial inquiry to a purchase decision in just a few days.

I'll post pictures when I get the bike, likely the middle of next week. In the end my decision incorporated some wonderful information on this site, and a very wise comment by a fellow forum member (thank you CAG), suggesting that in the end he could tell me what the bikes cost, but not what they were worth. That comment clarified things for me.

I'd been concerned that MV Agusta's financial problems may create an avalanche of bikes for sale as owners fear that parts will no longer be available, and the natural result will be declining values and maybe even a total loss of value. I soon realized that even in the very unlikely event that such a thing happens "So What?".

At the current ridiculously low prices these amazing machines are selling at, what does it matter if at sometime in the future they are totally worthless? At/near $8,000 you can buy an immaculate 2006/7 Brutale 910s, and maybe even a R for a few dollars more. So taking the advice from the earlier poster, does it really matter if I pay $7K or $8K for a bike that sold a few years ago for nearly $15K? If it drops by 50% in 3 years, that's a bit over $100/month. What can you buy these days for $100/month that has the performance, looks and quality of an MV Agusta? Having looked at the market carefully, my answer is absolutely nothing!!

A new 600cc bike is $10K or more, before dealer setup fees, transportation, etc. Does that compare to a 910S? Not in my world. OK, so say I'm wrong and the 910 depreciates more that I thought by 50%. That makes my cost $150/month. $5 a day. And that assumes that my $8K bike drops to $2,500 in three years - not very likely. And even if it does, it's costing me a lousy $5 a day.

I think I've been looking at this all wrong, and maybe some others are as well. The question isn't how much lower will prices go, the question is how long will it take for the public to realize that for a bit more than a Big Mac Happy meal a day you could be riding one of the most mind blowing motorcycles ever built!! When people realize that, and then realize that there were less than 1,000 bikes a year TOTAL for US consumption, we may all be surprised to find that used MV inventory becomes harder and harder to find.

So, yes, I overpaid for the bike I bought, maybe even by $1,000. Over three years if the bike drops by half (again not likely) that means I'll pay an extra $0.90 a day in depreciation, less than an entry on the dollar menu at any fast food store. And for that, I'm supposed to not buy one of the best bikes ever made?

Sounds pretty dumb to me too. Thanks again for the help, and I can't wait to get on the bike and ride. Yes, I'm an older gent, and this is quite a change, but I know I won't be getting any younger so why wait. Even if the bike is $3,000 cheaper in a year or so, the issue isn't money - it's time. I don't know how much riding time I have left, why not get on a bike now and enjoy myself?

So, if anyone else is waiting to take the plunge, all I can say is don't let the price of a Happy Meal stop you from enjoying life to the fullest.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM

CONGRATS! You`re gona love it.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Cheers!!!

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 PM

New Site Garage
Congratulations Lencap....you really will not even think about the $$ after a week ...and trying to put a value on the grin factor is impossible....welcome to the family ;-)

...oh, and yes CAG is the MAN !

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:31 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Congratulations and get yourself and your bike to the Bubbalicious!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Established Member

I took my 910 for a ride today and it is almost life changing in that it is so much much fun that I dont really care about the daily grind so much...what is that worth?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I won't tell you what I have spent on my 910R, but I will tell you that I really don't care what it may be worth on the open market.
It is worth what I have spent to me, and that is all that matters. I am happy and have no intentions of selling her.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Established Member

I love my Brute. Not much more to say...

Bike:
'08 Brutale 910R ... gone
'10 Brutale 1090R ... here
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 AM
I hope you have many enjoyable times riding your new bike.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Big Randaddy

Don't feel bad LC. I'm the king of overpaying for toys that depreciate. Join the crowd.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode