AARP Cardholder - Considering a Brutale - In over my head? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

AARP Cardholder - Considering a Brutale - In over my head?

Hi to All -

I'm old enough to have an AARP card for many years, and as I look into the unknown future, I'm considering getting a Brutale.

I've ridden motorcycles on and off for nearly 40 years. I've owned many bikes and many brands, and my favorites have a certain "soul" to them. I loved my Moto Guzzi, knowing full well that there were lots of issues with the bike, but the character and the exhaust tone overcame everything.

I've owned a Ducati Monster and had the transmission lock up on me on the ride home from the dealer. Other problems soon followed and as much as I love the brand, it was never fully happy with the bikes.

So now, after selling my Harley Davidson Street Rod (don't knock it unless you've tried it - best handling Harley ever and the drive train is designed by Porsche) which had problems of its own (front forks couldn't be properly torqued because of a design problem, too vague feeling to ride hard) I've found a lightly used local 910S and I'm getting hooked.

So, finally, the question. I've taken lots of riding classes (including Keith Code's Superbike School - highly recommended) and I'm wondering if the Brutale is too much of a "wheelie monster" for me to enjoy it as MV Agusta intended it to be driven. I'm about 5'7" and 30 pounds heavier than I should be.

I love everything about the MV Agusta brand, but I'm concerned that my skills and age (back, rotator cuff and other surgeries over the years) will not live up to what's needed to enjoy the bike. I'm not a speed demon, love handling and leaning more than straight line acceleration, and value comfort (at least to a degree). I think the Brutale will be a far more comfortable mount than the F4, and the need for the highest horsepower, latest version bike isn't important to me. The local seller seems to have taken care of the bike and the dealer is not too far from me.

So, should I take the plunge, and is there anything special that I should know about the Brutale? Your comment are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Established Member

Is there anything special about a Brutale? Everything is special! Why else own one?

Bike 2010 Vintage. Rider 1945 Vintage.

Are there any other questions?

Dick
Attached Images

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM

I'm 5'7", 70kg, and have back problems too (rotated pelvis + slipped disc) - the Brutale is very comfortable for me and doesn't agravate any issues.

As to whether or not it's a 'wheelie monster' is up to your right hand. Brutales behave if ridden properly and your experience suggests that you will have no troubles. Note it will be significantly more racey than your Monster (let alone the Moto Guzzi and Street Rod).

Anyway. Regardless of any advice you'll get from this thread - you'll need to ride the bike to make the decision yourself. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Established Member

My Hypermotard wheelies much easier than the Brute, but the Brute does make you feel that you got shot out of a cannon at times...in other words, yes get one or you will always regret it. It is my favorite bike.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:52 AM

No question get one, a brutale is a bike I and many other others aspired to...IT'S AN MV AGUSTA after all and having many bikes during over 33 years riding it's the most special bike I've owned. You appear to have the necessary experience to enjoy one...no doubt it'll be a culture shock to anything you've had before though. If possible get a test ride and see what you think, treat it with respect, get to know it, relax and enjoy the ride, ride well within your ability, don't allow yourself to be intimidated but be in control and no doubt you'll be seduced like many by the beautiful firey Italian.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You should absolutely get it.

You will have to surrender your AARP card though.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Hey...I haven't given up my AARP card.....get it!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
col

New Site Garage
lencap
all i can say is well racasey said it all get the brut you will never regret it if you dont you will always regret it
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks to all for the replies - I'm trying to work out something with the seller. Unfortunately he knows the value of his machine and isn't very flexible. I have very little knowledge about MV Agusta pricing and drooling on the seller's bike doesn't do much for my bargaining power.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
And what does the seller estimate the value of his bike to be?

If it is cheap enough, perhaps there is no need to bargain.

Have you researched prices on bikes sold, not just asking prices?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode