Fork Seal Issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Fork Seal Issue

Went out to the bike today after a 50 mile + ride and noticed that the right fork seemed to be leaking. In anyones experience are fork seals something that can be changed by any dealer. I would hate to have to bring it the 1hr and a half to fast by f when the nearby ducati or bmw dealer could handle it.

Anthony Stanek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
They should be able to handle it....but first, try cleaning the seal with a Seal Mate (google MotionPro tools)

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM

I had the 910R (new one in 07 ) had the bike returned to me after a service,returned in a van,and it was strapped down,unloaded it and saw that both seals had gone,had to go back and be stripped down ended up with new forks under warranty.No problem with the 910R i have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Fork problem

When I clean the fork does that ususally work? And where would the cleaning take place on the top or bottom part of the fork.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM

New Site Garage
Rutgers, any decent mechaniv can replace the seals. Where are you located? - the forum will be able to recommend someone near you.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Fork problem

I actually live in central nj metuchen actually there is a ducati bmw dealer right next door they might be the best solution.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers00 View Post
When I clean the fork does that usually work? And where would the cleaning take place on the top or bottom part of the fork.
Oil seals frequently begin to leak from bug guts or other debris getting to the seal lips. Cleaning the seals can frequently stop the leaking unless there has been damage to the lips.

The MotionPro Tools seal mate is a thin smooth plastic tool that you slide between the fork leg and the seal and rotate around the circumference while pulling back out, hence removing the dirt or bug guts causing the leak. Doesn't always work, but it is cheap and easy and always worth a try.

Tool can be fabricated from 35mm film, but getting the required smooth and burr free edges is difficult.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...ory/seal_mate/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Established Member

Anthony, the BMW/Ducati dealer certainly has the talent and experience to do the work. And you can help them greatly by bringing in to them two items along with the bike.

1. Pages from the factory service manual covering replacement of the fork seals along with any other tasks, like removing the wheel etc.

2. Pages from the parts list that show the fork assembly "exploded" into all of the individual parts along with the page showing the part numbers.

If you make it easy for the mechanic, the outcomes are always better, and you will probably save money in the long run.

If you do not have the service and parts manuals in your possession, you can find them on the internet in several places.

Best wishes,
Dick
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hey guys thanks for all the help and fast response always the best for that. Tonight I actually went to the local Honda dealer and bought that seal mate tool and alot of dirt came out from under the fork and seemed to stop the leak. Put the dust seal back on and compressed the forks about 5 times and no leaking so far so good.

Last edited by Rutgers00; 04-08-2010 at 09:15 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

That's a good sign !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode