Looking for advice - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Looking for advice

Good day to all. I'm not a current MV owner and never have been. However, given that they are without question the most beatiful machines (of any sort) on the planet, I would love to become an owner ASAP. I'm particularly drawn to the 910 Brutale w/Gladio kit. The biggest hesitation I have is that I wonder about possible reliability/finicky issues. I live in the boonies and probably 300 miles from any MV dealer/mechanic. I'm pretty mechanical myself, but that doesn't help much if I'm broken down in the middle of nowhere. I also don't want to own a very beatiful 'money pit'. The practical demon in me says "Wait for Japan to come out with a competitive naked (eg: the new FZ1) because you know it will be rock solid reliable." But every other fiber of my being screams "SCREW THAT! The Brutale is worth the money even if you only get to sit and stare at it!" Can you folks help me? Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Buy the bike your heard need and you'll be happy !

My Brutale 910S is now 7000 KMS without any problems.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I've only had the one F4 to date as far as MV ownership is concerned.

Bits fell off or worked loose on my Duke 916 at regular intervals , I had a 900 Benelli Sei in the 80's, it was cr*p . I thought long and hard about buying another Italian bike before getting an MV because of the above, but in my humble opinion, the build quality is equivalent to Jap standards and I had absolutely no problems with the bike in terms of reliability, quality of finish or anything else. I've had no hesistation whatsover in ordering another one . Go for it mate, they look good, feel good and jolly well do you good!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Get it! You will not be disappointed.

Bfloyd, I have had a variety of bikes over the years and they ranged from Hondas, Yamahas, Ducatis and MV Agustas. Right now I am on my SECOND MV Agusta. My first was a 2002 F4 1+1 and my current love is a 2004 SPR. In a nut shell these are awesome bikes. Yes, they are beautiful but the fit, finish, materials quality and design are all top notch. They truly do stack up with the best of what Japan has to offer. In fact I think more so. If taken care of these bikes will provided many, many miles of trouble free enjoyment. They are that good. Hope this helps and that you get the 910.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM

As prev mentioned built quality is good IMO, the only problems I have had are the back caliper seizing up on my F4, due mostly to me never using the back brake!! and the water pump seal on Brutale, leaks small amounts of coolant, don't think this problem exsists on the 910, tho i may be wrong...

It's a dream to own and look at all in all tho... either one
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:03 PM

We see these questions a lot. How did MV earn a place among the "finicky" Italian crowd? Guilt by association or just that they are so beautiful there must be a drawback? Certainly there have been some problems but how many of these were dealer caused rather than manufacturing??

I ride with a lot of different bikes and the MV has been at least as reliable as the most reliable of them, Japanese or otherwise. I'm somewhat over 26000mi now since April 03.

There are things to know but no more so than Honda's rectifiers or steering head bearings, GSXR gearsets or clutch baskets, Aprilia clutches, Kawasaki wheels, etc, etc.

MV's are extremely reliable bikes in my experience and quite easy to work on for maint.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Agreeing with everyone else

I have had my bike for a year now and the only thing that i have to complain about is the vibrations shaking screws loose, but i guess that is what happens when you ride fast all the time!!

I have never seen a bike built better in my life. MV is not one of those italian bikes that you have to worrk about crappin out on you in the middle of nowhere. i say you go for it and you will love every second you have the MV!!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
and the water pump seal on Brutale, leaks small amounts of coolant, don't think this problem exsists on the 910, tho i may be wrong...
You're not wrong, no problem of fluid leaking on mine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 AM

Thumbs up

Wow, this has created a lot of feedback, and rightly so... I agree with James, since when has MV been a 'finicky' Italian bike, never in reality, just in the mainstream journos minds, just bang it in with all Italian bikes!
You don't win 37 world championships by designing poor function.

Go with your heart, you will not regret it for 1 second....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode