What happens when you rush (or "why I'm an idiot") - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

What happens when you rush (or "why I'm an idiot")

So I was putting some nice new carbon bits on the brutie today. It had just gotten back from 2 months in the shop, so I was a it excited. So excited that I rushed it a bit.

First, when taking off the rubber seal on the key-guard, I rushed that and ended up with some cracks and such.

Then, fitting said cracks back onto the carbon one, I was having trouble placing it correctly for the screws to fit it.

While screwing it in, I dropped a screw down into the bike. I could see it, but couldn't really access it. This is when I go into the house to get a magnet and pull it out. Right? Wrong. I decide that will take too long, so I start to "shake" the bike to joggle it out.

Down goes the bike.

Along with my scream of "oh no" and the crash of the bike, you could also hear my heart drop into my stomach. I'm envisioning the scrapes and scratches all over the new carbon I just installed, and hoping that's the extent of it.

As luck would have it, the protruding corner of the tank landed squarely on the little MV tool kit pouch that was laying open on the garage floor. So to my amazement, the only damage was a broken off brake lever, a small scratch on the bar-end, and a small shear off the brake pedal.

Why am I such a moron? Many reasons. But I won't be rushing these jobs anymore, that's for sure!

SO, anyone got a stock brake lever and pedal? *grin*

-Gle8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Good ol' hind sight! Live, learn, die.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I let my newly restored/built unregistered 1979 Laverda Jota fall sideways onto my Brand new MV Agusta F4 1000R in the garage..
That was the day after I reversed the Jota out of the garage and clunked my neighbours brand new Ford ( 500.00 GBP.).Jota wasn't even registered or insured either ! I just had to go down to the bank and give the lady the money to get the bodywork done ! No damage to the Jota tho !
The good news is that later in the day the JOta passed it's first MOT and was registered as B OK later in the week.
I reckon the Jota was jealous and had a hissy fit !

For those with an interest..The Laverda Jota was the world's fastest production motorcycle in 1979/80 140mph..an Italian classic and modded by Slater's in Bromyard Worcestershire. The two bikes make a great pair in the garage...but boy have they got bad Italian attitude !.

ps When the Jota fell on the MV...It went like this...The fuel cap of the Jota contacted the left handlebar of the MV..The fall was cushioned as the fuel tank is rubber mounted and the fuel cap shot off it's spring mounting. The force was transmitted through the left bar of the MV and into the right bar. This was resting on the plaster wall of the garage and punched a neat hole the size of a bar end weight into the garage wall.

Damage to the Jota...Zero
Damage to the MV Agusta....Zero..

To mR Gle8 I'd say...if you're gonna have a bike accident..get it out of the way on the drive or in the garage...It's only $$$

Proves one thing..God's a biker for sure !

Try CAG for your parts..he's a very fair man to deal with ( god's busy with other stuff )

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
What happens when you rush??? well, my current uncomfortable requirement for crutches is just that....rushing and not paying enough attention. You would think that we would not be in such a rush as we get older and more mature.....I guess not !!!

At least it was just the bike and not much damage at that. CAG doesn't have any good parts for sale that I can use in my ankle.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I could sell you one of the screws they removed from my ankle, Ed.

Looks like titanium.

Sure, Gle8, I have a brake lever and pedal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Glad to hear I am not the only one with these problems, hahaha.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM

The old phrase ''the more haste the less speed'' that someone said to me over 25 years ago is ingrained in my mind and has helped urges of impatience that seem inherent in my character. Pity I didn't remember that when changing the rocker cover bolts for stainless steel ones on my 2 month old (at the time) gsx 750 opting not to use a torque wrench and shattering one of the cam journals. Went to the main dealer thinking one could be bought only to be told they are only available with the entire cylinder head assembly!!. Also got a look of disgust and a lecture from my dealer that I hadn't bargained for! Couldn't use one from a motorcycle breaker either as during manufacture they are machined as a set in the factory to suit the cam. Also it couldn't be fixed under warranty as I had caused it. I was left with no choice but to have the top 'shattered' part of it rebuilt as a separate part..lucky escape!. All in my haste to see polished stainless steel replacement bolt heads!! Patience definitely is a virtue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Those stories of bikes and garage work... I always know where it is gonna end

I am glad everybody got through them relatively OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode