Figured out why the Brutale mirrors are the way they are.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Figured out why the Brutale mirrors are the way they are....

Figured I'de try out some bar end mirrors today....as well as do a top speed run.

During the summer, I wear my mesh MV jacket. But considering the circumstances, I decided to wear the leathers. It was cloudy outside, and figured since I was gonna be a little bit aways from the house, I would put on the rain gear as well just incase it did rain.

Now, I've ridden ~100MPH in my rain jacket, and it's fine when crouched, but the wind does push you more...well, about the same as when wearing leather...

So I get up to speed and GAS THE CRAP OUT OF HER....

HOLY SHIT. Without the mirrors there, there's no shoulder protection. The mirrors act as a fairing when in full crouch to redirect the wind blast OVER your shoulders and down your back when going 100+ MPH...

I thought maybe since i had on my rain gear, it was extra drag (as usual) so I took it off, and did another run...same results. So, I went home, and put on teh mesh jacket and decided to give it a quick blast....again, same thing, slightly better, cause some air passes THROUGH the mesh, rather than just hitting it, but it's still pretty damn bad. I always wondered why the mirrors were so close to the grips, when they could easily be much higher, and give you a better view...

So...that's why our mirrors suck. They have another purpose, other than just being mirrors....so they're back on the bike, because my trip to work, consists of 100+ MPH worth of highway. I look over my shoulder anyhow...

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Awesome, 2 purposes now.... looks and wind protection!

Owning a few Ducatis, I know what it means to sacrifice a little convenience for looks!

Is it treally that hard to move your shoulder a little to use the attractive looking stock mirror?

Very good determination and conclusion oicdn!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the whrite up!!!

i guess Rizoma Limit mirriors will be mi choice.. (in black)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I wasn't really concerned with the actual view they give out, but if I could have a better view for free, why not? The bar ends were free, so it's the main reason I did it. It's also the reason I didn't buy them yet, it's kinda of a waste when you can look over your shoulder. So I figured since they were given to me, why not use them?

Now that I see they have a FUNCTION before being mirrors...they're staying on. It's not like they're ugly or anything. If the difference were minimal, MAYBE the bar-ends would stay on. But it's more than "just noticeable", it's a HUGE difference in the higher speeds. And the fact that they're sexy mirrors, doesn't help giving me another excuse to put them back on...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
interesting perspective
on my HIGH SPEED run on I-75 this past saturday... in my summer textile/perforated outfit
triple digits as the ran came.... like MACHINE GUN AMMO
wish i had the leather on at that moment

i LOVED the hand guards on my R1200GS... but don't like the look on the brut... too "motard-ish" for MY taste.... but, having a rock hit the back of my hand at speed scares me a bit

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
but, having a rock hit the back of my hand at speed scares me a bit

That's why we wear leather gloves.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrsonic
That's why we wear leather gloves.
i wear expensive leather gloves as well...
i've seen the way the back from my handguards look on my R1200GS...
there are little CHUNKS taken out from road debris hitting it at speed

on day you'll be hit by a fairly large rock spun out of the back of a SEMI's tire..... right in the back of your hand
and...
you'll notice that your leather gloves did little to stop you from wincing in discomfort

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

What kinda of gloves do you have? Most gloves have padding on the back of the fingers and knuckles also for this reason...or some type of injected molded rubber design that also serves as padding...

I've been hit with some fairly decen rocks from a semi....it doesn't feel awesome, but it also doesn't hurt...I think to myself "atleast it didn't hit my headlight..."

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Pimp of posts

yeah...
i have quite a bit of padding as well
and you are right about the headlight
i shudder to think what MV gets for a replacement

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
i wear expensive leather gloves as well...
i've seen the way the back from my handguards look on my R1200GS...
there are little CHUNKS taken out from road debris hitting it at speed

on day you'll be hit by a fairly large rock spun out of the back of a SEMI's tire..... right in the back of your hand
and...
you'll notice that your leather gloves did little to stop you from wincing in discomfort
I got hit in the chest when i was just wearing a regular shirt without a leather jacket one time. That was on the 750 version. Felt like someone just cranked up a b-b gun and shot it at me at close range.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode