fuel -stalling - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
col

New Site Garage
fuel -stalling

i did have a problem way back with stalling MV/PFG fixed it not a problem since well up untill today that was

Good thing is i think i found the problem (this may be in aus only) i normally fill up at freedom fuels or BP but today i filled up at SHELL V max 98 after 5 mins of riding stalled then huffing tickover all over the place ran the bike till empty filled up at a independent fuels bike ran purfect again

any one else have this problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 PM

I use Shell almost exclusively in the US, though not always possible when traveling.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 AM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
i did have a problem way back with stalling MV/PFG fixed it not a problem since well up untill today that was

Good thing is i think i found the problem (this may be in aus only) i normally fill up at freedom fuels or BP but today i filled up at SHELL V max 98 after 5 mins of riding stalled then huffing tickover all over the place ran the bike till empty filled up at a independent fuels bike ran purfect again

any one else have this problem
Hi Mate, I have found BP 98 Plus the best, Shell over here is very dodgy.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
You may find this interesting, I did: I watched a program that showed how gasoline is made. It showed the process from underground oil to finished product at the pump. The interesting thing was that the "gasoline" wasn't "branded" (Shell, BP, Scooter's, etc.) until it was pumped INTO the truck. Into each truck, while filling, was blended the chemical "package" that made the gasoline the brand you purchase at the pump. Up until that time, it was clear unbranded petrol.

So, perhpas there is a difference in the chemical package they blend for the folks Down Under.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

New Site Garage
I use BP, Shell, Caltex and Mobile...but only ever 91....she never misses a beat

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I buy whatever R+M/2 89 octane and have zero problems....whatever station comes to hand when the fuel light comes on.....I would like to buy non ethanol gas, but that is getting near impossible. I have started treating my gas with StarTron when I know I won't be riding for a while....E-10 gas has a shelf life of about 2 weeks max.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Established Member

Hi there,
What is the difference in fuel types anyway?

I was of the understanding that the higher the octane rating, the better the grade of fuel - is this not the case?

If I read the above correctly, you guys are suggesting that 95 or even 89 octane fuels is better in the Brutes than the 'premium' 98+ octane stuff.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

New Site Garage
Hey Dan,
I've run regular unleaded in my Brute since day one and occassionally put 95 or 98 into it. I've have zero problems running on the lower octane grade but I do have to run higher in my Harley - she pings and taps out like a bitch if I don't.

The Brute on the other hand runs clean and hard on regular ...however I would add that my Brute is ridden 3-5 times per week so she gets a regular run and the fuel doesn't sit there for weeks on end...

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Higher octane fuels burn less violently than lower octane fuels. That is what prevents the pre-combustion, or ping, in higher compression engines. You actually get more energy from lower octane fuel.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
You may find this interesting, I did: I watched a program that showed how gasoline is made. It showed the process from underground oil to finished product at the pump. The interesting thing was that the "gasoline" wasn't "branded" (Shell, BP, Scooter's, etc.) until it was pumped INTO the truck. Into each truck, while filling, was blended the chemical "package" that made the gasoline the brand you purchase at the pump. Up until that time, it was clear unbranded petrol.

So, perhpas there is a difference in the chemical package they blend for the folks Down Under.
Strange co-incidance,the company i work for has been contracted to fabricate and install new pipe work for the additive system for a Chevron Texaco fuel terminal in the U.K.Shell and various supermarket brands also pull out of there.The fuel is usually shipped from Chevron Texaco Milford Haven or Shell Hamble refinerys.The actual fuel is cross sold between suppliers the only difference is the additive injected into the fuel at point of entry into the fuel tanker normally at a ratio of 1 litre to 1000 litres before it is transported to the garage.The supermarket brands tend to have cheaper additives or none at all that is why they are slightly cheaper at the pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode