Out of commission - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Angry Out of commission

Well, went for a ride on my bike for only the second time; put on 20 miles since I drove it away from the dealership. It seems I am experiencing the fuel leakage problem; spraying fuel on the engine. It appears to be coming from just under the tank. I downloaded the workshop manual and order the recommended parts from the FAQ site. I am not all that mechanically inclined but, I am going to give thus one a go since the nearest MV Agusta dealer is in Tampa. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Established Member

Unhappy

That sucks!!!! I'm sure JamesC has some words for you as he seems to be the MV Agusta Guru and he allways has a solution he is amazing!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 AM

Most likely one of the quick disconnects either not seated correct or broken. Easy fix either way.

John T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM

Post up if you have any questions. It's not too hard.

I'd drain the tank best you can first. Get some clear hose from a hardware store and suck a little to start a syphon and drain into a gas can.

It's been a while but I think this should be the basics...

remove the seats

remove tank bolt under main seat

remove the side panels under the tank, one side pops out (back side?) and then they slide off.

loosen bolts on sides of tanks with arm that braces against the frame.

remove two bolts in key / ignition plate

I think that's about it. Wiggle the tank straight up, it should be loose and slide out. The two hoses will be connected to the bottom of the tank. Move the slides on the fittings to remove the quick release pieces. Likely one of these are broken, probably one of the male fittings on the hose.

Replace the fittings.

Jack
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWBrutale
Well, went for a ride on my bike for only the second time; put on 20 miles since I drove it away from the dealership. It seems I am experiencing the fuel leakage problem; spraying fuel on the engine. It appears to be coming from just under the tank. I downloaded the workshop manual and order the recommended parts from the FAQ site. I am not all that mechanically inclined but, I am going to give thus one a go since the nearest MV Agusta dealer is in Tampa. Wish me luck!

is this 750? how many miles in total?

btw, my dealer actually sent van to pick up my bike, after it started to leak oil... so you might ask your dealed to do the same. warrantly should cover cost of transporting the bike to dealership.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I will defintely post if I have any questions along the way.

The bike is an 04 with 420 miles. I bought it used from a triumph/ducati dealer here in Orlando. It is in mint condition, but no warranty. I was a little nervous buying an almost 3 year old premium italian bike with no warranty but the Brutales seem to have a good reliability reputation and I was hoping to get a little lucky I guess. So much for that.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM

WWBrutale do you have any way to get the bike to Tampa? I'll be there Thurs night and would be happy to help you. I can bring a spare set of quick connects if needed but they will be the same cpc plastic one's I keep on the side?

For that matter, if you can get the bike to Tampa say on Sunday or next week I could bring the exhaust analyzer and throttle body sync tools to get the bike sorted and maybe baselined for you. I'd rather not tear it down for valve checks though for fear of oil leaks without new gaskets on hand

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JamesC; 08-22-2006 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
i had this happen on my f4 - fuel spraying out of the fuel connection under the tank.

in my particular case the o-rings in the connector were bad. it was my own fault as i was a little aggressive when i pluged the connectors back together and i pinched the o-ring, nicking it and causing the leak.

i replaced the o-ring and all was well again.

alex
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Oohhh Man James, you are a kind soul. I may be able to get it to Tampa this weekend. I am not sure but, it sure sounds like it would be a huge benefit for me. Let me talk to my boss(wife) and I will reply as soon as I know. What days/times are particularly good for you?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the two posts but, I also wanted to say that I have the necessary parts. Also, what would I owe you? Money, food, beer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode