Polishing - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Polishing

Sorry if this is straying into 'nerd' territory....I like to do a little polishing on my bikes. Nothing over the top but some selected alloy bits. However I did discover something a little strange when I decided to polish up the rear foot peg hangers on the Brutale. They're both painted a dull silver but the right (exhaust side) one has a grey powder coat under coat whereas the left one only has the silver paint onto the hanger...why the difference??. I know this as I used an automotive paint remover (Nitromors) to strip the parts prior to polishing and one stripped to the bare alloy in seconds and the other left the grey undercoat which could only be removed with an abrasive wheel. As I say I just thought it strange with virtually the same parts albeit left and right sides?,never came across this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
Sorry if this is straying into 'nerd' territory....I like to do a little polishing on my bikes. Nothing over the top but some selected alloy bits. However I did discover something a little strange when I decided to polish up the rear foot peg hangers on the Brutale. They're both painted a dull silver but the right (exhaust side) one has a grey powder coat under coat whereas the left one only has the silver paint onto the hanger...why the difference??. I know this as I used an automotive paint remover (Nitromors) to strip the parts prior to polishing and one stripped to the bare alloy in seconds and the other left the grey undercoat which could only be removed with an abrasive wheel. As I say I just thought it strange with virtually the same parts albeit left and right sides?,never came across this before.
A mate has done this on his F4750SR... just used a industrial polishing wheel i think...
Attached Images

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
More protection from heat from the exhaust.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM

wow, that is really clean and shining. Mind to share what polishing products you use for different parts of the bike? Someone to share?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I suppose additional heat protection from the exhaust is feasible when you think about it, however I've done a lot of polishing on many bikes and never came across this before....then again it IS Italian!. Of course I'm happy to share my polishing techniques no problem. I must post some pictures of my other bikes which have had some 'work' done to them. I have a 1999 CBR Fireblade RRX (0nly 6000 miles on it) and a 2002 Suzuki GSX 750 retro twin shock model (inazuma) quite rare over here. If I can get the hang of it I'll post some photos of these and the Brutale.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay, hopefully this works...
Attached Images

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Very tasty.
I look forward to seeing the old GSX in the flesh, really looks the part.

Brian
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM

New Site Garage
Sorry to hi-jack the thread with a polishing thing... full carbon bodywork as well. Would you believe he paid NZ$23k for this thing!! (unpolished).
Attached Images

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Glad you like it Brian...... you'll get to see them better when you collect the Brutale to map it for me. I'll be in touch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MVBrutaleRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
More protection from heat from the exhaust.
to expand on this, alloy has a tendancy to trap gasses and moisture in the metal a little bit... when heated this can cause the gasses to escape and cause bubbles in the paint. Powder coating requires heat to set the powder so most of these gasses are released then and then it is sealed up with the powder. makes sense why its only on the exhaust side.

- Justin

Justin - Las Vegas, Nevada

Current:
2002 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP2
1984 Honda VF1100C Magna V65

Past:
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S - Orange/Black
1999 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
2007 Victory Hammer S
1995 Honda CBR600F3 Track Bike
1996 Honda CBR600F3 Street Bike
2001 Suzuki TL1000-S
1992 Yamaha FZR600
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1984 Honda VF750F Interceptor
1985 Honda VF1000R Interceptor
And a handful more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode