My longer write-up - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
My longer write-up

Friday, August 18, 2006:

I arrived at the dealership at 0932. My Brutale (as recently images have shown) was parke din the PRIVATE showroom, OFF LIMITS to other customers, next to the Senna. I noticed the bike LOOKING at me as I entered the room, beckoning me to climb aboard and attempt to tame her. She looked skeptical of my abilities… I’m too short… 20# overweight… and, at 43 years of age… well past my prime.

Inside the main showroom, David Picou is quite busy with other issues… a Paul Smart Ducati 1000 has just been sold/beautiful bike if you’ve never seen one. A few minutes go by and I sign the paperwork. I’ve ridden in on my R1200GS, which will be traded today. After signing the paperwork, I call my insurance company and get full coverage established before ever thumbing the starter.

The impressions of the 910R… which I’ve NEVER seen until this day. The bike certainly exudes that “stealth” appearance that so many mentioned. I love the color of the paint and the varying shades OF that color. The RED rocker box cover is really beautiful. The bike is sexy as hell in every possible way.

I always ride with hearing protection… but, NOT TODAY… I want to hear the bike as it makes love to my auditory sense. My first ride is for 45 miles or so… because I’m getting the oil changed at that point. After spending a few minutes becoming frustrated with the seemingly inane way of setting the clock and units on the trip computer… I ride off for the very first time. One thing I should mention is that when I took the 910S our for a spin about a month ago… before I decided to buy the “R,” I was never quite comfortable on it. Maybe it’s because it wasn’t my bike… not sure sure. However, I felt completely at ease on this “R” as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot (makes no sense, I know… but, it is, however, quite true). I really noticed the lighter forged wheels (ridiculous again… but, a sense that I DID have at THAT point). The off-idle abruptness was quite evident… in the lower gears only, of course. My dealer does NOT have dyno… so, I’ll be finding a reputable tuner around my town, and buy a PCIII and have him take care of the issues. I’ll wait until my PROMISED ½ EXHAUST SYSTEM comes so that I can see how things are with the new EPROM and system installed. Who knows when that will be, of course.

What did I notice about the bike?

- the mirrors vibrate… at speed, if you “lift” the throttle, the vibration decreases and you can see MORE for a second. Living in fear that law enforcement is behind everytime I twist the throttle will be a constant, I am sure (how DO you EVER get over that?)

- transmission is buttery smooth (remember, I have ridden BMWs for years… so I’m comparing the bike to THOSE “clunky” gearboxes). There IS a CLUNK into first gear… but, I expect that on ANY bike, I suppose.

- The grips are SMALLER than any other bike I’ve ridden, forcing you to TIGHTEN your grip more than on another bike. I wear racing gloves with FULL kevlar-knuckle protection... that are QUITE TIGHT... the fingers might be PRE-curved, but they are still stiff. THAT, coupled with the stronger return springs on the throttle will certainly mean some right hand numbness and pain after long rides… but, WHO FREAKIN’ CARES

- The shifter and rear brake lever are the SMALLEST I’ve ever seen on ANY bike… but, I’ll get used to them.

- The seat is fine… it looks a bit FAKE on the “R” but it is comfortable enough to me and puts me in the perfect riding position. I am 5’6”, 180#, with a 28” inseam

- Did I mention the melodic sound… it’s even better than I remember. I can’t WAIT to get that racing ½ exhaust on board to see what it sounds like then.

- The exhaust DOES smell… my BMWs never had any odor. I’m sure that it is running “RICH” like everyone has already warned me. The headers are completely BLUE/BROWN after only 75 miles from the heat… again, no big deal

- The Brembo brakes are incredible. All of the “sponginess” I personally felt from the Nissin stock brakes on the “S” is completely gone. These brakes are incredible… but, I broke them in correctly. I’m sure that they will be even more amazing once I can be a bit harder on them.

- The Pirellis stick like GLUE, even when they were a few miles old. I will take it easy on them, of course. The combination of a hot Florida day, perfect/high friction pavement, and those Pirellis was enough to give me confidence in the bike and tires almost immediately

- The horn… YES, I use the horn on occasion. Sounds just like a squirrel FARTING… just like I expected. This is the SMALLEST bike I have ever ridden (about the same size as my ’01 GSX-R750), so it needs a LOUDER horn, as far as I am concerned. I WILL be finding a solution for this problem as soon as I can

- I need a tank bag… was disappointed to find that the tank was plastic. I do NOT know why I thought that it was metal. STRAPPING on a tank bag in something I will NOT do. A tail bag is something I will get soon

- I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of under seat storage… guess I wasn’t expecting much

All-in-all, the bike is JUST PERFECT. I’ll be riding 200 miles tomorrow. Must stay home now and spend time with my daughter.

What’s next for the bike for me:

- the ½ exhaust, whenever it comes

- PCIII/dyno tuning… AFTER the ½ system, EPROM is installed

- Mirrors… Rizoma Logics perhaps

- Emoto.uk account

Ok…

My daughter is mad that I am typing SO LOUD

I’ll write more later

And I’ll take those pictures soon.

Thanks to everyone… especially this amazing forum

I’m honored to be here

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"

Last edited by spalding12; 08-18-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
GO FANTASTIC GREG GO!!!!!!
Your impressions are similar mine the first time i drive my 750 S!
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM

ok so maybe i'll bring my checkbook to the dealer tomorrow.thanks for the review
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
you are all welcome
one more thing
91 degrees outside today
75% humidity
on the highway... the bike was at 181-189 degrees (F)
in stop-and-go traffic... it went up to 217 at the highest, but (fairly) quickly went down to 194 or so when i got moving.

no "spitting" of coolant
i WILL replace some of the coolant with Water Wetter or equivalent at SOME point

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 PM

Great news, glad to hear all is well, great write up, go ride more!

Don't forget the pics
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Pimp of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMoto UK
Great news, glad to hear all is well, great write up, go ride more!

Don't forget the pics
thanks so much
you'll be hearing from me very soon..... and quite often, i fear

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Established Member

Man, you must be one sensitive rider to feel a difference in things like the weight of the wheels. Maybe its just my novice abilities at this point but I can't tell the differences like you guys can with the brakes,wheels etc. Also, is there a reason to change the oil so soon? I haven't heard this either. The small rear brake lever is strange to me as well. Seems like it should be a bit bigger. I need some more time to ride, I only have 150 miles at this point since very little time to ride. Congrats again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Pimp of posts

well...
the "feeling" of the lighter wheels probably IS my imagination
but.... the superior braking is quite easy to detect
fantastic initial bite (lacking in the nissins)
very progressive with less lever effort (improved from the nissins)
they ought to be more fade resistant as well.... but, i have no personal knowledge about that

i will put on adjustable rearsets at some point and consider changing the foot levers as well

as for the oil change.... many here have mentioned the efficacy of doing this very thing. i looked.... CAREFULLY, at the oil, by the way....
when it was drained.... and it looks GREAT

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode