New Owner Questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

New Owner Questions

Here are several newbie questions, I have not been able to find answers for after searching this forum and the web in general. I am putting all of these in one thread; if in the future you all would like me to separate these out, let me know.

1) The mpg is less than desirable and the general consesus seems to be that an EPROM is the best solution to lean out the air/fuel mixture. Are there any cheaper solutions that may atleast help the mpg?

2) Speaking of fuel, the Owners Manual indicates to use atleast 95 octane, I'm assuming those in the states are using 93 since that is the highest available. True? Anyone run lower octane?

3) I have read the threads regarding engine temperature and still a little concerned. It is has been atleast in the mid 90's here in FL and the engine temp seems to hang around the high teens and low twenties for city(<40 mph) driving. Is this anything to be concerned about? I am putting in water wetter soon, any other simple things that can help?

4) The piece located at the front, top, and center of the fuel tank seems to be popped up just slightly. Also, the rubber sealer around this piece is coming a little loose on one end. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions to address it?

5) I noticed MV Agusta Corse has frame protectors listed but no mention of them on this forum. Does anyone have any experience with these - do they screw directly into the engine, what is their quality and price, do they look like they will work? Also, what is the best place(s) to purchase MV Agusta Corse items. Any other recommendations for frame sliders that do not screw directly into the engine? At one point I was reviewing an FAQ that was fairly helpful.

6) I am looking for a small tail bag and have been unsuccessful up to this point. Basically, I would like a small bag to mount on the back seat to hold just a rolled up pair of pants and a shirt. Anyone have any recommendations for this; can most tank bags also be used as tail bags?

7) I want to give my new bike a good cleaning. Is it good to wax this matte black finish, or is just a wash better?

If you made it this far, thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWBrutale
Here are several newbie questions, I have not been able to find answers for after searching this forum and the web in general. I am putting all of these in one thread; if in the future you all would like me to separate these out, let me know.

1) The mpg is less than desirable and the general consesus seems to be that an EPROM is the best solution to lean out the air/fuel mixture. Are there any cheaper solutions that may atleast help the mpg?

Even with a PCIII expect only ~30mpg, but I get that now anyway, after 8k miles on the bike.

2) Speaking of fuel, the Owners Manual indicates to use atleast 95 octane, I'm assuming those in the states are using 93 since that is the highest available. True? Anyone run lower octane?

The octane ratings in the US are different than Europe, 91 = 95.

3) I have read the threads regarding engine temperature and still a little concerned. It is has been atleast in the mid 90's here in FL and the engine temp seems to hang around the high teens and low twenties for city(<40 mph) driving. Is this anything to be concerned about? I am putting in water wetter soon, any other simple things that can help?

Changing the coolant will help, as will replacing the cat. But these bikes run hot, it's not really a problem.

4) The piece located at the front, top, and center of the fuel tank seems to be popped up just slightly. Also, the rubber sealer around this piece is coming a little loose on one end. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions to address it?

It's just a cosmetic piece, you should be able to glue the rubber seal back on.

5) I noticed MV Agusta Corse has frame protectors listed but no mention of them on this forum. Does anyone have any experience with these - do they screw directly into the engine, what is their quality and price, do they look like they will work? Also, what is the best place(s) to purchase MV Agusta Corse items. Any other recommendations for frame sliders that do not screw directly into the engine? At one point I was reviewing an FAQ that was fairly helpful.

The MV Corse protectors are the preferred 2 bolt style. Search the forum for the group buy thread for a hook-up on pricing.

6) I am looking for a small tail bag and have been unsuccessful up to this point. Basically, I would like a small bag to mount on the back seat to hold just a rolled up pair of pants and a shirt. Anyone have any recommendations for this; can most tank bags also be used as tail bags?

I have a generic 'Cargo' brand tailbag, works fine.

7) I want to give my new bike a good cleaning. Is it good to wax this matte black finish, or is just a wash better?

Don't wax the matte; use a silicone spray like Plexus.

If you made it this far, thank you so much!
See my comments underlined.

Welcome, and have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode