Microtek ECU serial port/usb convertor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Microtek ECU serial port/usb convertor

Just a question for anyone who has used the Microtek software.

I've installed my Mictotek ECU in the brutale 1078, however I can't get the TPS calibrated as I can't get a connection from the laptop to the bike. When I click the 'open' button on the software to get this process started all I get is a message saying either 'USB failure' or else 'Connection?'. I have tried selecting both USB and Com Port modes, and tried a variety of com ports, but cannot get the software or the computer to actually recognise that the bike is connected.

I have phoned Chris Wells from Xbikes and he said my USB convertor/serial port cable is probably not compatable with the the microtek ECU. However the cable is the correct kind of cable; USB to serial port. But apparently not all after market UCB/serial port convertors work, and there is no way of knowing which ones work before you buy them. The microtek one will work but it is around 150 which is a bit too much for just one operation. Does anyone who has installed a microtek ECU on their bike and done the TPS calibration successfully know the name/make of the USB/serial port convertor they used and maybe I can get one on ebay or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 AM

New Site Garage
no old com port on the PC? the old type laptop can be bought for less than 150 I guess.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Established Member

Hi
I tried various USB adapters but the one that worked for me was from Maplin. It is an Express card serial port adapter by ST labs. I have used the Microtec USB adapter it is very fast and easy.
Chris and I were mapping my bike, before we had the Microtec adapter, using the express card and it popped out and we couldnt communicate anymore.
I got hold hold of an old laptop that had a real serial port and use that now with no adapter, its abit slower but works fine.
150 against a damaged ECU might be worth the expense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 AM

I use a keyspan USB serial port adapter that only likes to work with one of my laptops with my Microtek and not the other. With one laptop it would drop out all the time but with other its rock solid even though all the setting are the same as the other one.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM

IOGEAR part number GUC2322 (supplied CD with drivers is part number M1053) USB 2.0 to 2-port Serial RS-232 Converter worked fine with the XBikes Microtec (xbikes.cc) for my 2008 Brutale 910r on a Toshiba laptop running Vista through the PC's USB port. About 30 to 50 US dollars from your friendly computer parts supplier.

Last edited by oldmancud; 12-30-2009 at 09:42 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to try and get an old laptop or desktop computer that has a serial port and fit the Microtek ECU cable straight in. Do you think this will work OK or do you forsee any problems?, as I'll probably be running windows 95/98!. I Know a guy who might be able to fix me up with one of these.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 AM

Give me a call, you can try my lead.
If that fails, I have a laptop with serial port.

Brian

Last edited by moto-tech; 12-31-2009 at 03:24 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Right,...just back (before the snow) from Moto-Tech (Brian Jones). Thank you Brian for being so obliging and opening your shop on new years eve when you're closed for holidays and doing my TPS.... free!!. Looks like this IS the guy to take your MV to in this neck of the woods!. Well that microtek ECU has certainly smoothed out the 'snatchy' throttle, however the idle is quite high (as others have found) mine is at about 2100 and I feel this is TOO high, so it needs further investigation, even 1700/1800 wouldn't be too bad....any suggestions?. Thanks again Brian (Moto-Tech) and all the others who recommended various serial port/usb convertors.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM

You are welcome Brian.
Give me a call in the new year when we re-open & we will get a look at the idle.

Happy new year to all!

Brian

Last edited by moto-tech; 12-31-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 PM

If you purchased your Microtek ECU from Chris at X-Bikes, you should e-mail or call Chris to work out the high idle. Chris has been very helpful in getting my bike running well while I look for a local tuner.

I have a Microtek ECU from Chris at X-Bikes in my 2008 Brutale 910r. Via e-mail Chris was able to help me reset the TPS and was able, based on my feedback on how the bike was running, to supply me with config files and maps that got the idle between 1,450 and 1,550, get rid of the snatchy throttle, start well and run well. Chris still encourages me to have the bike tuned by an experienced tuner in my area and seems willing to speak with and e-mail the tuner of choice to help them with the Microtek.

Perhaps between Chris (X-Bikes) an Brian Jones (Moto-Tech) you'll get a great tune and a great running Brutale!

I'd be happy to share my config file and map but it's for an 08 910R so I am not sure this is right for your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
Right,...just back (before the snow) from Moto-Tech (Brian Jones). Thank you Brian for being so obliging and opening your shop on new years eve when you're closed for holidays and doing my TPS.... free!!. Looks like this IS the guy to take your MV to in this neck of the woods!. Well that microtek ECU has certainly smoothed out the 'snatchy' throttle, however the idle is quite high (as others have found) mine is at about 2100 and I feel this is TOO high, so it needs further investigation, even 1700/1800 wouldn't be too bad....any suggestions?. Thanks again Brian (Moto-Tech) and all the others who recommended various serial port/usb convertors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode