brutale 1090 r vrs streetfighter S - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

brutale 1090 r vrs streetfighter S

What do you guys think is a better bike?
SF = lighter by 50 lbs and more power
brutale= sex appeal,better aftermaket exhaust standard slipper clutch

I also started this thread in the Ducati SF forum check it out and see what the Ducati guys think. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=77636
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM

I am a dealer for both brands but Ducati is my bread and butter. Risking some restitution, here is my take on the two:

When I got on the SF this summer I was seriously impressed by this new Ducati. The pull of the SF was incredible, the power even more linear than on Ducati's 1098 Superbike and due to the fact that you ar completely out in the elements, it felt faster than the Superbike. Handling is stable yet still flickable enought for tight twisties, the brakes are awesome. Admitedly, the styling is not everyone's cup of tea.
I felt like the Streetfigher elevated naked bikes to an entirely new level - UNLESS YOU HAVE RIDDEN A BRUTALE!!!!!

The Streetfighter simply can't shake a stick at the Brutale. I have ridden A LOT of bikes and nothing comes close to the thrill the Brutale provides. Mind you, I ONLY have the 910R (actually I have two of them) but no other bike comes even close. It is fast as hell. Get it in it's sweet spot and it comes off corners like shot out of a cannon. The handling is even more impressive. Super flickable and ultra responsive, the Brutale feels like a 320lbs bike.

The SF in comparison steers like a truck, feels long and slugish. I had the chance to do an acceleration run with a friend on a similar set up SF (pipes and ECU). The 155hp SF had absolutely nothing on my 138hp 910R until about 120-130mph and then the SF just started creeping away from the Brutale ever so slightly. Inconsequential in the real world.

So the SF is a fantastic bike no doubt, but there is simply no question that the Brutale sets the standards for naked bikes. And the 1090 is even better.... inconcievable...!!!!!

I hope no one from Ducati reads this......
Armando1969 and Armando1969 like this.

Last edited by crash2much; 12-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilacarter View Post
I think it depends on what you are looking for...

I'm going to get mauled by saying this here, but I personally think the Ducati is the better bike overall for the money. With a few caveats though.. (and largely due to personal experiences)

The Ducati isn't as rare of a bike. You'll see more of them around town than you will a Brutale. The Brutale has an amazing sounding exhaust note when you are above 6k RPM (think forumla 1 car), whereas the Ducati has a great decel exhaust note below 4k RPM (popping and growling). The dealer support is more prevelant and easier to find for Ducatis than it is for MVs, which can be great peace of mind.

So here's the thing... if you want sheer sex factor, rareness, incredible exhaust note, awesome top end power, but don't mind learning to be an MV mechanic, then the Brutale is probably the right bike for you.

If you want a bike that has more low end umph, better support/service via a larger dealership network, more "flickability" due to lighter weight, and a bike that is still pretty sexy, than the Ducati is probably the right bike for you.

But, I highly, highly recommend that you take each out for a spin before you buy - their seating positions are similar, though just different enough that when coupled with their very different power bands and weight they could be very different rides.

~N
Couldnt agree more, dealer support aint too good over here either

I think if you were looking to buy, Ducati would be the wiser choice until MV Agusta finds a buyer. the brutale is a lovely bike but who would consider taking the chance with a company that may go under. Its went very quiete on the sales front, no threads or news

Ducati dealers will be smiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM

i really havet o try a SF properly...

BUT until i do, given the torque that the 1090RR puts out at low rpm and it's ability to rev above 10,000rpm...i think the engine of the Brute is more "complete". In other words, you get the torque of the SF + the revving of a 4-cyl. Now, the SF is without a doubt a great bike and the improved 1098 engine is a beast !!!
Now that the 1090RR also offers a Traction Control system and 2 maps, it's even harder to put the SF on top.

I wouldn't mind getting myself one btu would never trade either of my 910R or 1078RR for a SF...let's be serious...it's just a Ducati after all

post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM

BTW just ask Chris Ulrich from Roadracing Magazine what he thinks about the Brutale. RRM usually doesn't think to highly of the Italian stuff, but I have never heard a journalist talk so highly about any motorcycle, ever.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Established Member

When I bought my 910s, I also test rode the Streetfighter S. Back to back, 3 times. And while I love the sound and feel of the twin, the Brute was just flat out more fun. The ergos also fit my body type better. While I feel that the SF is a better deal for the money, I went home with a 910. I can only imagine the 1090 would be another step up entirely.

-Gle8
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:32 PM

New Site Garage
I seriously looked at the SF, but in the end my 06 910R has a better finish (whats with all those wires hanging all over the place on the SF?? - for a NZ$32k bike i expected better), is better looking, is more fun and when you get back on the brutale and get over 9k RPM again you forget about the SF all together...

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 PM

I couldnt agree more with all of you, my mate has a SFs and when at the track even with his traction control there was nothing between them down the long shute at Eastern Creek, and more to the point he beat him to the chequered flag even though we weren't racing ( lol), on the street i have riden it a couple of times, and the biggest differance i find is that you just cant go fast straight away you have to feel your way into the character of the bike, I also felt that when it was tipping in i didnt know if it was going to stop tipping in which i found a little disconcerting, i did however like the riding position even narrower than the Brute and with slightly lower pegs felt just a tad more comfortable, i do however plan to get some rear sets soon!!

as mine has had a complete make over most people will walk staright past the SF and start looking at my bike which of course is great for the ego!!!

James
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think the street fighter is as ugly as a man's ass.

Since crash2much sells both, he can probably give you the most unbiased opinion.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Established Member

I think both bikes are fantastic! A friend of mine just bought one and is waiting for delivery...mind you after the exhaust he is sitting at $18.5k which is on par with a new 1090R Performance is a moot point I think, both have incredible amount of power and if you wanted the absolute best...why even look at the naked sport bike? Get the 1198 or the MV equivalent. In my opinion, Ducatis are not quite as rare as MVs and you would be hard pressed to find many people that even know what an MV is. But there is no comparison to the characteristics of a twin...so you really have to test ride both and just feel for yourself which of the two you really want. If I had my way, I would have both!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode