new bike! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

new bike!

Well after really struggling to get comfortable with the bike and suspension I almost gave up on the Brutale until I tested out another Brutale 910S.

My complaints were that the bike did not want to turn in and would not hold a line, then when I picked up the throttle it just wanted to run wide. Compounded with a front end that wanted to break you in half when you hit a bump, I was really frustrated with the bike.

I made a series of mistakes, I didn't want to make any suspension change to the bike since I haven't ridden a bike in nearly 4 years and thought it was just me not being comfortable riding a bike yet. The bike hardly had any miles on it and the previous owner said it was completely as stock as it can be (1500 miles). Tires were the original Pirelli tires that were worn down in the center and a little squared off but not too bad.

Now, to the comparison. Immediately when i rode the 910S, I was absolutely shocked that it was the same bike! the handling was as precise as you wanted a bike to be. The brakes weren't as powerful but did the job well. The suspension was a little stiff but overall, manageable. After a quick ride, we returned and to no surprise the owner of the 910S who rode my bike agreed with my assessment of my bike and we sought to see what was causing this ill handling effect. As for the geometry, we decided to measure his bike up and set my bike to same geometry since I immediately liked the handling characteristics of his bike and found that we had to go +12mm in the rear. A quick measurements of the sag front and rear revealed that I had more than 2" of sag in the rear!!! we increased preload to remedy that. the hydraulic adjustments were tweaked here and there to make the bike more balanced front to rear. I bought a set of Michelin power race rear and power one front to replace those worn out tires...

the verdict: This is a completely new bike! I love it, and although the front end is still a little harsh for my taste, it is way more manageable now. I can't believe that with my experience I didn't attempt to do the simplest thing which is to confirm the ride height and sag were correct and at least match the manufacturer's settings. I can't wait to take her out this weekend and to the track soon!

So moral of the long post , check your numbers and get some new tires if you are running on some worn out rubbers...
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
And with the $1000 you saved not buying a fancy rear shock you can buy some track days.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And with the $1000 you saved not buying a fancy rear shock you can buy some track days.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 PM

The Power Races probably helped the most... Depending on what profile you bought those tires fall into the turn very quickly and hold their line very well... They were my favorite racing tire! I run them on the street too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidiracer View Post
The Power Races probably helped the most... Depending on what profile you bought those tires fall into the turn very quickly and hold their line very well... They were my favorite racing tire! I run them on the street too.

Me too, they don't last long though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidiracer View Post
I used all sorts of tires in the past, Dunlop GP, Pirelli SC, and even Michelin S2/H2 tires. I liked the michelins the most. Sportbiketrackgear has such an amazing deal on those that I bought them rather than the power 2CT I was going to buy. Although I always rode on 180/55 rears, I stuck with the 190/55 this time. I like it so far.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM

+1 for setting sag. The first time I did this I was shocked, and pleased, how much an effect it had.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 AM

john out of interest how much do you weigh?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totale View Post
john out of interest how much do you weigh?

175lbs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 AM

bout same as me.... - reckon I might have to check mine out this weekend if it ever stops raining - although I'm really pleased with handling I just have never bothered to measure - who knows could be even better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode