A Lovely ride Botched! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

A Lovely ride Botched!

Today we got together with about 20 other riders for a lovely all day ride. This ride has been in the works for some time and I've really been looking forward to it. I even got new tires and made sure they were broken in and ready.

At the very begining of the ride the person behind me said my bike was smoking when I rolled on the throttle and it was getting worse. Closer inspection showed that it was leaking from the oil filter. My husband had changed the filter several weeks ago and he thought he might not have tightened it enough. Most of the riders felt that it would be okay (just a tiny bit of oil on the back tire, but not enough to matter). So we continued. Got about 10 more miles down the road and the bike was smoking really bad!! My back tire was totally covered in oil (I'm really lucky I didn't go down) and I'd probably dumped nearly a quart of oil.

Luckily we were near my parents house so I told everyone else to go on and my husband and I limped the bike there.

We didn't have the special tool to tighten the filter so my dad (he is very handy) fabricated something. After nearly 5 hours of messing around with tool manufacture the filter was tightened. Only to find out that wasn't the problem the filter had developed a crack in it, that is why it hadn't leaked on my other rides. Has anyone ever had this problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Matty
Quote:
Originally Posted by theponydogs
Today we got together with about 20 other riders for a lovely all day ride. This ride has been in the works for some time and I've really been looking forward to it. I even got new tires and made sure they were broken in and ready.

At the very begining of the ride the person behind me said my bike was smoking when I rolled on the throttle and it was getting worse. Closer inspection showed that it was leaking from the oil filter. My husband had changed the filter several weeks ago and he thought he might not have tightened it enough. Most of the riders felt that it would be okay (just a tiny bit of oil on the back tire, but not enough to matter). So we continued. Got about 10 more miles down the road and the bike was smoking really bad!! My back tire was totally covered in oil (I'm really lucky I didn't go down) and I'd probably dumped nearly a quart of oil.

Luckily we were near my parents house so I told everyone else to go on and my husband and I limped the bike there.

We didn't have the special tool to tighten the filter so my dad (he is very handy) fabricated something. After nearly 5 hours of messing around with tool manufacture the filter was tightened. Only to find out that wasn't the problem the filter had developed a crack in it, that is why it hadn't leaked on my other rides. Has anyone ever had this problem??

do a search on google.....mv agusta oil filter problem...you will get a greenspun site.....same thing happened to me....make sure you got a new filter and not one of the old recalled ones like i did. Same Scenario happeend to me

Matty
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Do you have the strap on there? I know you got the crack, but I don't think ANYBODY should have an oil filter problem with it unscrewing if you put on the strap....

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
sorry for the botched ride
i'm sure your blood pressure was sky high by the time the whole ordeal unfolded
thank goodness that harm didn't come to your bike.... if you had ridden a long way with no one behind you to notice the smoking

good luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Christina, very sorry to hear what happened to your bike... after what has happemed to my Senna, I think I can understand your frustration; the good thing is that you are ok, the bike is ok or will be ok, it just requires a little of TLC so it's nice and clean again.

Where did you buy the filter just curious?

O D O N A T A

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Do you have the strap on there? I know you got the crack, but I don't think ANYBODY should have an oil filter problem with it unscrewing if you put on the strap....
I'm not sure what you mean, but I did have the rubber "thing" and the plastic "thing" on the filter. The filter didn't unscrew, we just thought it might have initially.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata
Christina, very sorry to hear what happened to your bike... after what has happemed to my Senna, I think I can understand your frustration; the good thing is that you are ok, the bike is ok or will be ok, it just requires a little of TLC so it's nice and clean again.

Where did you buy the filter just curious?
I haven't read all the threads, I'll have to find out what happened to your Senna, doesn't sound good...

My husband and I spent some time with Simple Green and my bike looks much better! Just some caked on baked on oil under the pipes still.

I got the filter from Pro Italia.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
do a search on google.....mv agusta oil filter problem...you will get a greenspun site.....same thing happened to me....make sure you got a new filter and not one of the old recalled ones like i did. Same Scenario happeend to me

Thanks Matty I'll have to check that out. Sorry you had a problem to, but I'm glad to hear that it can happen and it isn't some worse problem with my bike!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
a crack in the filter, could it have been over tightened?

O D O N A T A

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata
a crack in the filter, could it have been over tightened?
No, it was definitely under tightened if anything. Jeff (my husband) didn't do much past hand tightening. Possibly the filter could have been damaged by the tool he used to tighten it (not the stock tool), but I doubt it, he is really over cautious with such things, especially on my bike. If I so much as try and leave the driveway with 1 psi to few in my tires he stops me and fixes it.

But anything is possible. I guess the only way to find out if it was the filters fault is to replace the filter (making sure its the correct one) and see if it happens again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode