Ride height tool - MVAgusta.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Ride height tool

Does anyone in the UK or Norfolk to be precise have the ride height tool for a Brutale that they would be willing to let me borrow etc. Happy to pay the postage each way if so. Trying to set my bike up and need a baseline!!

Many thanks

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Chris at X-Bikes made some a few years back...and I am sure he still has at least one for his shop. You might try contacting him.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Chris at X-Bikes made some a few years back...and I am sure he still has at least one for his shop. You might try contacting him.

Yep that is a thought and he is close to me but i know whats going to happen, I am going to talk myself into going there and asking him to install a Cordona quickshifter whilst I sort the ride height out!! So it would be an expensive trip for sure!!!
esq'z me and Paul.K like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
You know you need the Quickshifter Gary

[SIGPIC]Paul

F4 Tamburini. No.211
F4 RC. No. 049
Brutale 1090 Corsa
TVL
Ducati 748
Gone but not forgotten...
F3 Serie Oro
F3 800
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.K View Post
You know you need the Quickshifter Gary

Ha ha you probably right Paul
Paul.K likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down ?

Ride height tools explained.......
It's all BULLSHIT, UNLESS YOU INDEX THE HUB TO THE SAME POINT EVERY TIME

Think about it.....
Except at mid travel of hub rotation, there will be 2 places in hub rotation where the ride height
will measure the same with the tool......
MV gives no indication as to where the hub should be
If you move the axle forward, you're decreasing the spring rate and damping
If you move the axle backward, you're increasing the the spring rate and damping

Remember spring rate and damping are affected by the square of the suspension ratio......
So the numbers get big really fast
Yes, I made the tools too
Attached Images

Nito likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Old Wing Nut

That's the point of the tool Noel....to reset the ride height AFTER you move the hub during chain adjustment. Because adjusting the chain changes the hub center location in the swing arm relative to the chassis, and therefore the ride height.

Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about....it's Friday night and I've had an adult beverage or two.

Just set the damn chassis where things feel good and the bike turns as you want and go ride.
Drewbert34 likes this.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:20 AM

New Site Garage
Sure Mr Taburini has slept some nights over that issue. It is about setting stearing angle. So if you dont like the suspension afterwards, adjust damping accordingly

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Ride height tools explained.......
It's all BULLSHIT, UNLESS YOU INDEX THE HUB TO THE SAME POINT EVERY TIME

Think about it.....
Except at mid travel of hub rotation, there will be 2 places in hub rotation where the ride height
will measure the same with the tool......
MV gives no indication as to where the hub should be
If you move the axle forward, you're decreasing the spring rate and damping
If you move the axle backward, you're increasing the the spring rate and damping

Remember spring rate and damping are affected by the square of the suspension ratio......
So the numbers get big really fast
Yes, I made the tools too

Noel..so are you saying forget about the tool and just adjust by feel?

I have no problem with that as the odd mm or movement here or there makes no difference to me!! Maybe on a track searching for the ultimate setup but not for the road. I had my suspension serviced by a well know tech for my weight including gear, setting up the preload, compression, rebound and all seemed fine, however the rear feels low to me and i think I bottomed out last week on a ride (hugger to tail section) so I wanted to check the ride height as a reference point before looking at preload. For me a little bit more rear ride height (using the adjuster) seems like a good way of adding this but if i am understanding it correctly that will in turn effect the preload on the shock? Even with my "tweeked" rear shock I am struggling to find a setting thats compliant enough for the roads where i live without making it feel shite!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

The ride height adjustment affects steering head angle. Nothing to do with shock pre-load, travel or anything else.

When you adjust the chain you rotate the hub within the swing arm, effectively changing the axle center point relative to the chassis. If you change gearing, adding or subtracting links from the chain (or replace a well worn and stretched chain) you will shift the rear axle center point either up or down within the swing arm.

The ride height adjustment compensates to place the chassis and steering angle back to the correct relative position to the rear axle position.

OR you can use it to make the bike steer more quickly or slower to suit personal riding style/demands.
russell60 and Nito like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode