Ride height tool - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The ride height adjustment affects steering head angle. Nothing to do with shock pre-load, travel or anything else.

When you adjust the chain you rotate the hub within the swing arm, effectively changing the axle center point relative to the chassis. If you change gearing, adding or subtracting links from the chain (or replace a well worn and stretched chain) you will shift the rear axle center point either up or down within the swing arm.

The ride height adjustment compensates to place the chassis and steering angle back to the correct relative position to the rear axle position.

OR you can use it to make the bike steer more quickly or slower to suit personal riding style/demands.

Are you sure about it not effecting the shock? The way the linkage works by increasing the rear ride height (forgetting about the hub postion for the moment) surely it has an effect on the shock as its connected directly to the swing arm and the adjuster? Thats why the stock technique talks about rechecking SAG after an adjustment!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down

Quote:
The ride height adjustment affects steering head angle. Nothing to do with shock pre-load, travel or anything else.
BULLSHIT
If you move the axle forward or backward it changes the load on the shock, because you changed the ratio of movement

If you can't figure it out.......
Please refer to:
Race Car Design and Development by Len Terry (Chief Engineer at Lotus)
The Chevrolet Power Manual, Vehicle Dynamics Section

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 AM

Thumbs up ?

GDS968;
If you have a ride height tool......
You MUST have a zero point to reference from.....

Loosen your pinch bolts and rotate the hub all the way forward, put a mark on the swing arm with a felt pen to the left
of the torque spec sticker......mark the edge of the hub aligned with the mark on the swing arm
Lift the chain off
Now rotate the hub all the way backward......make another mark on the edge of the hub
Measure between the 2 marks on the rim of the hubs and split the difference
Make a permanent mark on the hub, a centerpunch mark will do
Do the same thing on the swing arm
Now every time you want to play with the suspension you have a zero point to reference.......

You really don't, need the tool, just measure from the stand as in the manual to a bolt or place on the frame
Your number will be different......but you will always be able to go back to zero......if you align your marks
Suspension settings are subjective......just keep a record of your changes......so if you go the wrong way.....
You'll be able to go back, to what worked before
No marks on mine......changing shock and going to a longer swing arm
Attached Images

Edward likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
GDS968;
If you have a ride height tool......
You MUST have a zero point to reference from.....

Loosen your pinch bolts and rotate the hub all the way forward, put a mark on the swing arm with a felt pen to the left
of the torque spec sticker......mark the edge of the hub aligned with the mark on the swing arm
Lift the chain off
Now rotate the hub all the way backward......make another mark on the edge of the hub
Measure between the 2 marks on the rim of the hubs and split the difference
Make a permanent mark on the hub, a centerpunch mark will do
Do the same thing on the swing arm
Now every time you want to play with the suspension you have a zero point to reference.......

You really don't, need the tool, just measure from the stand as in the manual to a bolt or place on the frame
Your number will be different......but you will always be able to go back to zero......if you align your marks
Suspension settings are subjective......just keep a record of your changes......so if you go the wrong way.....
You'll be able to go back, to what worked before
No marks on mine......changing shock and going to a longer swing arm

Noel...i hear what you are saying and all makes sense going forward. BUT at the moment I just want a reference to the standard setting so i assume this is not acheivable without the bloody tool!!! As a test I increased the the ride height by 10mm (measuring from the hub/axle nut to the fixing bolt on the underside of the bikes rear cowls) and rode the bike, obviously there was a change and it instantly felt like there was more preload on the rear shock, hence my comment about it effecting it!

Interesting that you are going for a longer swingarm, is that for a bit more stability?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
BULLSHIT
If you move the axle forward or backward it changes the load on the shock, because you changed the ratio of movement

If you can't figure it out.......
Please refer to:
Race Car Design and Development by Len Terry (Chief Engineer at Lotus)
The Chevrolet Power Manual, Vehicle Dynamics Section
The axle moves UP AND DOWN !!!! Think about it Noel.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS968 View Post
Noel...i hear what you are saying and all makes sense going forward. BUT at the moment I just want a reference to the standard setting so i assume this is not acheivable without the bloody tool!!! As a test I increased the the ride height by 10mm (measuring from the hub/axle nut to the fixing bolt on the underside of the bikes rear cowls) and rode the bike, obviously there was a change and it instantly felt like there was more preload on the rear shock, hence my comment about it effecting it!

Interesting that you are going for a longer swingarm, is that for a bit more stability?
The ride height adjustment is just that, adjusts ride height and hence steering head angle...does not affect lever ratio on the shock.

The longer swing arm changes squat under acceleration, does not really change stability. Standard equipment on certain model MVs
Nito likes this.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:37 PM

Thumbs down ?

the damping
Quote:
The axle moves UP AND DOWN !!!! Think about it Noel.
Most people adjust their chains........this moves the axle front to back.......changing the load on the spring
and shock damping

The MORONS at the Factory give no baseline setting for the indexing of the hub.....rendering use of the tool
useless
Attached Images

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Noel.....the hub is an eccentric device. In the process of moving the axle front to rear to adjust chain slack you are also rotating the eccentric hub within the swing arm and shifting the axle center line up and down.

The fixed point (or reference point) for measurement is the plane of the frame side plate mounts as located with the tool. The variable point is the top of the axle located eccentrically in the hub.

As you rotate the hub affecting chain adjustment you also change the distance between the plane of the frame (located with the tool) and the axle. The ride height adjustment allows you to bring that distance back into specification.

Now, granted, most chain adjustments result in a very small change in axle elevation within the swing arm and hence a very small change in ride height. Most small chain adjustments will not cause any concerns with chassis geometry.

However, a change of gearing, or a progressively larger amount of change due to chain stretch (or installing a new chain) would create a large change in chassis geometry. Hence the special tool and the measurement specifications supplied in the workshop manuals.

I know you get this. You've just forgotten the vertical changes in axle location when the hub is rotated during chain adjustment.

The slot in the brake caliper mount you have pictured simply allows the caliper mount to move fore and aft, as well as up and down with axle movement. It is not a point of measurement.
Tony F and Nito like this.

Last edited by esq'z me; 08-26-2019 at 06:16 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
ON a lighter note, if you are willing to pay the postage, I will send you a ride height tool to use...as long as you return it in a timely fashion.
esq'z me and paulo. like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
ON a lighter note, if you are willing to pay the postage, I will send you a ride height tool to use...as long as you return it in a timely fashion.

Ha ha...if that's for me then no worries, I think you are in the states so its going to be a nightmare cost wise, but many thanks for the offer.
I will either go over to see Chris at Xbikes as he's not far from me or just forget about it and setup by feel etc (probably the best way anyway)

Cheers
silentservice703 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode