Service after being parked for 2 years (?) - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Service after being parked for 2 years (?)

Dear all,
Due to some work and personal reasons I had to leave my poor b4 1078rr in the garage for 2+ years on the kickstand. If all goes according to plan I'll be able to ride again in about 2months.

Other than replacing tyres, oil, filters, brakes/brake fluid (battery has been plugged, so seems okay-ish) what else should I check and/or replace to bring her back to life (and make her safe and trouble-free to ride again)?
Any feedback is appreciated!!
What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well..... unless the tires were old to begin with you probably don't need to replace them. Look at the date code. Good tread and less than 5 years old? They should be fine (unless it was stored next to an ozone generating device).

Drain the fuel tank (or siphon it out as empty as possible) and refill with fresh.

Oil, yes....IF you hadn't changed it before storing (and it was stored in a dry climate controlled area)... oil filter? Only if it was in need of replacement when you stored it.

Brake fluid, Yes.

Maybe coolant if it is original (more than a few years old)

Other than that...a good cleaning should reveal any items that may have begun corroding or need attention. Lube the chain and go for a ride. Bikes sit on dealer showroom floors for several years in some cases. They don't require much attention to prep for sale. Your bike shouldn't need much either as long as it was stored properly.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Well..... unless the tires were old to begin with you probably don't need to replace them. Look at the date code. Good tread and less than 5 years old? They should be fine (unless it was stored next to an ozone generating device).

Drain the fuel tank (or siphon it out as empty as possible) and refill with fresh.

Oil, yes....IF you hadn't changed it before storing (and it was stored in a dry climate controlled area)... oil filter? Only if it was in need of replacement when you stored it.

Brake fluid, Yes.

Maybe coolant if it is original (more than a few years old)

Other than that...a good cleaning should reveal any items that may have begun corroding or need attention. Lube the chain and go for a ride. Bikes sit on dealer showroom floors for several years in some cases. They don't require much attention to prep for sale. Your bike shouldn't need much either as long as it was stored properly.
Thank you very much for the reply!!! Appreciate the input!! 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 PM

I've always checked the airbox for a rare mouse home. Remove tank after the complete drain and pop the airbox housing. Inspect your air filter while in there.

Second thought -- the screen should prevent such mouse entry... never mind. Just think of past bikes which had visitors.
esq'z me likes this.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy

Last edited by Edward; 07-14-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Second thought added.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM

New Site Garage
I just did much the same with my 1078RR. General service points did the trick. I will say that any time I've pulled it out of storage a new battery was in order; terribly phantom draw on that model. Other than that, she rides like a dream again!

WHAT'S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN?!
'09 Brutale 1078RR
, '05 Brutale S 750
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I've always checked the airbox for a rare mouse home. Remove tank after the complete drain and pop the airbox housing. Inspect your air filter while in there.

Second thought -- the screen should prevent such mouse entry... never mind. Just think of past bikes which had visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by über View Post
I just did much the same with my 1078RR. General service points did the trick. I will say that any time I've pulled it out of storage a new battery was in order; terribly phantom draw on that model. Other than that, she rides like a dream again!
Appreciate the feedback!! Thank you very much 🙂
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Pull the fuel pump and change the fuel lines in the tank.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 PM

Then if you decide it is too much trouble sell me the bike 😀
esq'z me and nigelrb like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
Pull the fuel pump and change the fuel lines in the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
Then if you decide it is too much trouble sell me the bike 😀
Heheh seems like I'll have to do the work 😛 Thanks for the info 🙂
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:48 AM

New Site Garage
Check tyre pressure, lube the chain, charge battery, fuel additive and GO!
Bexar80 likes this.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode