1090RR clutch master cylinder rebuild kit? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Last night I was planning to test the new seals from the K&L kit on the original piston.
(Background: slave piston was not returning into slave cylinder causing clutch to remain engaged.)
I felt the problem was with the length of the replacement piston included in the rebuild kit.

In order to get the slave piston back into the slave cylinder before taking apart the master I bleed the slave at the master (through previously installed bleed port), then found the clutch engages and disengages.

Reinstalled everything, closed clutch cover filled with fluid and started bike.
With rear wheel off the floor, tire spins in neutral. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

I feel so confused!

2005 F4 1000
Power Commander
Cat removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
There is friction between the components of the drivetrain even with the transmission in neutral.

If a slight drag of the hand on the wheel stops the motion, then you are fine.

If, on the other hand, the wheel is being driven hard, then you have an issue.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Did you go back to the original piston with the new seals? If you still have the long K&L piston in there it is going to do the same thing as before after you ride it a few miles (clutch never engages, bike doesn't move).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Sorry for the lack of timely response. I have received the kit as well, though have yet to install. (I am waiting on the gasket for the MC res.)
I did not mean to imply that the actual pistons between the K&L kit and the original B4 MC would be identical, rather, I hoped, and still hope, that the seals from the kit could be used on the original piston. Your last post seems to confirm this?

Unfortunately the gasket I need is on back order. Motoforza in Escondido has no info on when it will come in. I will try to compare the seals fro the K&L kit with the originals tomorrow and update this.

Robert

1090RR
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
Correct. The piston from the kit will not work. I will try the seals(from the kit) on the original piston.
It is likely the original piston is good and replacing the seals is all that is needed.

Separately, I am looking to determine how to increase the volume of fluid coming out of the MC. Any ideas would be welcome.
As esq'z me observed, you would need fit another master cylinder. However, apparently one can, by replacing the slave cylinder, achieve better modulation with an easier lever similar to what I presume you are interested in accomplishing with a different master.

Unlike the clutch master which goes around $700 (US), slave upgrades can be had for around $100:

https://www.designcorse.com/products...lutch-cylinder

Robert

1090RR
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I rebuild my clutch master cylinder this morning using the seals from the K&L kit # 32-4142.

I can confirm that the seal bearing surface dimensions between the two pistons (The K&L kit piston and the original MV) are identical.

After installing the new seals on my original piston, and bleeding the system, I have full clutch disengagement and excellent lever feel. I still lack the gasket for the res. so no road test yet.

The kit piston and spring are both longer than the original, and cannot be used.
esq'z me likes this.

Robert

1090RR
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 PM

I also installed the kit gaskets and feel seems smooth.
I will start it tomorrow to determine the drag. With the bike in 1st and clutch pulled in there was significant tension.

One of the complaints is the clutch is hard to pull. The kit spring is softer I hoped it would solve the stiffness problem for us. Unfortunately, I suspect it is not allowing enough fluid to get to the slave.

Rob, can you please compress and measure the spring that came with the kit? I would like to compare it to the original. Thank you.

2005 F4 1000
Power Commander
Cat removed
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The spring won't change the feel so much...that is a function of the clutch springs and hydraulic pressure generated by the ratio of master to slave cylinders.....but if the spring is preventing full movement of the master piston you will not get full movement of the slave.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

Rob, can you please compress and measure the spring that came with the kit? I would like to compare it to the original. Thank you.
59.5 mm uncompressed, and about 12 mm at coil bind. I want to say the original was almost half that length.

Robert

1090RR
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The spring won't change the feel so much...that is a function of the clutch springs and hydraulic pressure generated by the ratio of master to slave cylinders.....but if the spring is preventing full movement of the master piston you will not get full movement of the slave.
As usual, esq'z me is right. The clutch springs are substantially stiffer, and the ratio of diameters of the master to slave determine the mechanical advantage. The master spring is just enough to overcome the internal friction and the spring on the clutch switch.

Robert

1090RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode