Battery light - MVAgusta.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Battery light

Ive noticed when riding that every now and then my battery light on the instrument cluster will come on. It will stay on for a few minutes at most then go off. Normally this happens just after I've been at a traffic light for a decent amount of time. Is this anything to be worried about and should I be startibg to price an alternator, or is this something that happens with the first gen Brutale? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
From my layman's experience it does sound as if the battery is not receiving enough charge during the low revs/idle phase. First point would be to test the battery terminals and then the charge rate.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
That light should not come on. Period. When it does you are being told the charge rate to the battery is low.

Check your battery cables and terminals, especially ground cable and attachment at the engine. Check connections from alternator to the battery/starter relay/main fuse.

It's intermittent, I would not suspect the alternator itself.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I check all the connections,the other and everything looked good. Buttoned it back up and away I went. So today I replaced the rear turn signals and front tire. But the bulb for the license plate light broke so I rode to get a new one. The battery light stayed on for the trip and was on on the way home. It had nevwr stayed on for that long beofre. I got the new bulb in and went to start it and nothing. Battery was dead. Hooked up a tender to it and let it charge for a bit and it started again but then the instrument cluster lit up everything, and flashed so I shut it down. Now when trying to start it the battery makes a fast clicking sound. So hooked my brothers battery to it and it fired right up, but the battery light remained on, and his volts dropped to 10 and we killed it. Does this just sound like a dead battery like I'm hoping it is, or something to do with the alternator? I hope it is nothing expensive or complex as this is my only means of transportation.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Established Member

Although your battery may now be shot (from repeated excessive discharge), your problem is not a bad battery.

Like with a car, one can start a bike with a bad battery with jumper cables, remove the cables and run it normally - as long as the alternator is charging correctly.

The ‘battery’ light is perhaps a bit of a misnomer, and should rather be called an ‘alternator’ or ‘charge’ light. It does not indicate the condition of the battery, but rather the condition of the current being generated by the alternator.
esq'z me, nigelrb and falcn like this.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Exactly the same conclusion I came to reluctantly. Gonna pull the alternator off tomorrow and hope I can find a replacement for it on a Sunday. I've read to take the tank off, then the starter, remove some wires, then I should have access to remove it. I was really fearing that it was the alternator, and I am not looking forward to it.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 AM
Established Member

Hi, when the light it's intermittent is a signal of coming bad alternator. So now is intermittent after few days or weeks will become fix light and yuor bike will not run or will stop (if battery it's totally died cause not recharged). First control how many volt is given the alternator and you'll understand if have some problem.
If you need an used alternator in good condition let me know
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguyjc View Post
Ok, so I check all the connections,the other and everything looked good. Buttoned it back up and away I went. So today I replaced the rear turn signals and front tire. But the bulb for the license plate light broke so I rode to get a new one. The battery light stayed on for the trip and was on on the way home. It had nevwr stayed on for that long beofre. I got the new bulb in and went to start it and nothing. Battery was dead. Hooked up a tender to it and let it charge for a bit and it started again but then the instrument cluster lit up everything, and flashed so I shut it down. Now when trying to start it the battery makes a fast clicking sound. So hooked my brothers battery to it and it fired right up, but the battery light remained on, and his volts dropped to 10 and we killed it. Does this just sound like a dead battery like I'm hoping it is, or something to do with the alternator? I hope it is nothing expensive or complex as this is my only means of transportation.
Ovvious it's an alternator problem
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Misty5, I'm thinking I'll end up having to get an alternator from a forum member. I'll let you know for sure once Ibget it out. Where are ypu located at? I am sure they are not cheap to ship. And you're more,than welcome to PM me a price if you've got one. Thanks.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Okay folks, I am going to throw a booger in the pudding. There are several things that can cause a poor charge condition to show up. ONe of those things is a high resistive load in the circuit...i.e. a toasted battery. Another is poor connections at the star solenoid....which is a known problem with these bikes...yet another is poor grounds.

What I am saying here is to check your system before you go throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The alternator on these bikes is robust.

Yes, it could be a bad alternator, or more likely voltage regulator, but, without checking the simple things, you could just be burning good money.

Test your circuit. Check your connections.
esq'z me, theknurl and misty5 like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode