2005 Brutale transmission problem - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

2005 Brutale transmission problem

Hey all, new member here so some quick background. I found a 2005 B4 Brutale 750 that I was able to pick up for $3,300 last week. Got it home and just did a quick ride and it went really good. Got up the next day and had some oil leaks, I still need to take care of those. I have two gaskets that need to be replaced, so if anyone can let me know a good site to get,them from that would be awesome. So I top,off the oil, and take it out for its maiden voyage with my brother on his bike. We are only gone for about 15 minutes and then the problem with the transmission started. I took off from a stop in 1st, went to shift into 2nd, and it wouldn't go. It would go into neutral, but 2nd was not happening. The gear lever would not go up. I had to downshift and ride home in 1st, which caused the bike to run hot being stuck in that gear. Everytime I go to ride this happens. The bike will go back to normal after about a 10 minute cool down and it works fine again, for a little bit. Does anyone happen to know what might be going on with it? I have no ideas. I also contacted my local repair shop about it, but they have next to no experience with MV so they said they couldn't do anything with it. Other than these issues, I absolutely love this bike and plan on having it for a long time...if I can get the transmission working properly.

Last edited by silentservice703; 09-04-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:52 AM

New Site Garage
We might need a bit more data to help you out TG.

Does the bike shift gears up when it's not running, clutch in rolling the rear wheel ?
Does it only happen when the bike is hot ?
Has his just occurred or does it return to normal service when the bike is cold?
Has anyone removed the front sprocket cover recently?

How many km's has the bike done?
Where are you on the planet?

...and on a different but vital vein, please confirm you have the rear hub checked by someone in the know and serviced? (removed, cleaned and re-greased)

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Below are the answers to the questions.

Does the bike shift gears up when it's not running, clutch in rolling the rear wheel ? Yes, but it has to cool cool down but if it ia cold, it has no issue.

Does it only happen when the bike is hot ? Yes, if the engine is cold it will go into any gear without issue.

Has his just occurred or does it return to normal service when the bike is cold? I've only had the bike for a total of 4 days. I have asked the previous owner, he said he never had a problem. The title is clean, and from 2014 to the time I bought it, it has only been driven about 2,000 miles. It has 25,300 miles on it currently. I do not think this bike was abused, it came with the manual with all the little sheets about adjusting the suspension, accessing the battery, the CD Rom that was sold with it, a battery tender, wheel lock and cover. The oil is clean as well.

Has anyone removed the front sprocket cover recently? To my knowledge, no it has not been removed.

How many km's has the bike done?
The bike has 25,300 miles on it.

Where are you on the planet? I am in Bakersfield, California...aka, hell.

...and on a different but vital vein, please confirm you have the rear hub checked by someone in the know and serviced? (removed, cleaned and re-greased) I have not had this done, but I will have it looked at. Thank you for the advise.

I hope that answers your queations, if there is anything else you need me to provide, please ask. Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:45 AM

New Site Garage
Time to remove the gear selector cover and check the springs, the main shift and the small pawl springs. If the main spring was broken then it wouldn't return to normal when it cooled, it'd be stuck in whatever gear it was in when the spring broke. So I'm betting on the smaller pawl springs in there. Other than this I can only think selector or something else in the box that's seizing when hot. Seems strange when the previous owner had no problems but when shit goes wrong it goes wrong.

Manuals are here for downloading: - Forums/Tech tips and resources for ALL models. Also there are links to how to do the job. There is an especially good one by Eddiepro with full pics.

If you have any mechanical skill it's pretty easy, just time consuming. Need to drain oil and coolant. Parts can be had from the marketplace here but I usually use StarTwin Trading in Belgium.

Cheers

Deano
theknurl and lefin102 like this.

2009 1078RR Brutale
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Since it is only when hot I would think your clutch needs a good fluid flush and thorough bleeding!! Start with that. And flush and bleed your brakes, too. I'll bet the hydraulic fluids are very old and nasty.

Where are you ???

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help guys. Ill have my work cut out for me this next weekend. Also, I'm in Bakersfield, California.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguyjc View Post
I'm in Bakersfield, California.
Add that to your profile !

Seriously, I would do the fluid flush and bleed before anything else. With the age of the bike (and the general maintenance habits of Americans in my experience) I believe that could be your only problem.

Quality engine oil helps with smoother shifts, but the MV transmissions are not known to have problems. Clutch hydraulics, on the other hand, can cause shifting problems.
lefin102 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I didn't see a place to add my location in the profile settings. I'm doing this all from my phone, so maybe it is different on a computer.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Old Wing Nut

User CP is the place to edit profile and add signature etc

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

tallguyjc;
Get some Clic-R pliers off eBay ~$12 last time I looked
Do a service on all fluids and both filters
The best oil filter is a Purolator PL-14612 available at Pep Boys in Bakersfield
The wrench for the filter (late blue ones) Hopkins 10605 Super Graphite Filter Wrench #5
The fuel filter is a WIX #33012 available at O'Reilly in Bakersfield
While inside the tank replace the 5/16" SAE J 30 R 10 submersible fuel line, it's sold in a 1 foot piece, you won't need all of it
One of your oil leaks is probably the left rear of the pan gasket.....remove the side stand and correctly torque the pan bolts
The other ones are either or both the valve cover or the F4 cover.....buy some Permatex Form-a-Gasket
Loosen the pinch bolts on the swing arm and retorque them to 15lbft/20Nm when adjusting the chain, ignore the sticker
in fact remove the POS

I've been building manual transmissions for a long time........It's not heat related.....I'm with Deano, the pawl spring or shit inside the ratchet drum.....simple to check, and if it's broken cheap to fix

You have questions? Call me.....text me 1st, my phone doesn't allow unknowns
lefin102 likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 09-16-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode