MV Agusta Forum banner

Shift problem.

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  EBBO 
#1 ·
2008 910s with little over 2000 miles on it. Been riding little more as time (and work) permits and I've noticed a problem that's not always there. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd..just sometimes mind you it won't go into 3rd...once in a while 4th also.. usually when on the throttle hard I'll pull up on the shift lever and release the clutch and it's still in 2nd...it's a real eye opener for sure when your expecting to be in third and it's not..the lever just seems to be stuck..ive read some similar problems here just not sure what to check now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

#3 ·
Stock shift lever? Not a common concern for the 2008 Brutale. Make sure the clutch is all good as Art suggested, but you should be able to shift without using the clutch if you use correct technique.
Aftermarket foot pegs with shift linkage could have shifter binding.... If stock shifter, check for contact with the frame plate maybe?

#4 ·
Yes all is stock..I don't feel it's a bleed issue though..other wise it would do it all the time..if it was a car I'd almost say it was a blocking ring problem (just to compare) I have to let off the throttle to be able to shift it...it happens with or without the clutch..just wasn't sure if others had this issue with the 910..

#6 ·
I have to let off the throttle to be able to shift it...it happens with or without the clutch..just wasn't sure if others had this issue with the 910..
You have to let off the throttle to shift any time you shift....unless you have a quick-shifter installed (which cuts power for you). Are you saying this only happens when you are shifting while holding steady throttle?

#7 ·
I can be hard on the gas..let off a bit to complete the shift and pull up on the shifter and it actually feels like it won't budge..if I let off and retry it or puul it hard it clunks into gear unwillingly..I had a Ducati 750 ss before this bike I did track days with..so shifting at speed I'm familiar with clutch or no clutch...it just plain won't budge.

#9 ·
As others have said...bleed the daylights out of your clutch.
Now, have you changed footwear?
Another thing that happens on ocassion is that the return spring breaks. Yours could be broken in a way that it doesn’t always return correctly making the next shift problematic.

But, first bleed that clutch slave!

What was done to/with the bike immediately prior to the problem occurring?

#10 ·
Nothing was done to it prior..I bought the bike used..not sure if previous owner had similar problem or not I'm going to contact him to just ask though..I found a similar thread from someone with a 920 with the exact same problem but it was an older post and there was no resolution posted. In the meantime I'm having one of my friends ride it to see if it's me or the bike lol..the 920 thread stated it more plainly by saying it feels exactly like your try to find 7th gear...just not happening.

#14 ·
I have the exact same bike as yours. No problems to report other than cracking my lever retention plate. As a result I changed out both stock levers for milled evotech shorties with much success. Just a thought... Maybe your lever is dialed in too much so it isn't pushing the plunger far enough in. If its hitting the grip then it might be the problem. Try adjusting the dial but I'm sure you've done that at the start. :/

You wrote clutchless shifting doesn't work predictably, correct? --Ed's advice regarding the return spring seems like a good direction. Are you sure its the original odometer? 2k isn't much for a spring issue.

#15 ·
Yes I adjusted the lever and as far as the mileage according all the paper work and the bike facts I did the mileage is correct..I work in a car dealership so we did all the searching from our end...the only bad side....5 owners...all military except the last one..so who knows how they treated the bike...other than that issue with the shifter it runs great...

#16 ·
Well I'm the 5th owner I mean...it came from fbf in Philadelphia to Spokane Washington with two miles on it..it was sold again with 168 on it then with 683 on it..again at 1952 miles ..next was 2003 then to me..the guy I got it from owned it 3 months and I believe was pulled over 3 times...said the bike wasn't for him he didn't enjoy possible jail time lol.. anyways...that's the history for what it's worth lol

#17 ·
?

My vote, because it's only on up shifting.....
Page G-11 item #25 small piece broken off one
Or something inside #20, maybe a piece of the spring because it's random:wink2:

Pull the shift mechanism and inspect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.