New To Me Brutale 910R-Thoughts and Questions - MVAgusta.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
New To Me Brutale 910R-Thoughts and Questions

Hello-

I purchased a Used 20016 Brutale 910 R from a gentleman in suburban Washington, DC.

I went up Sunday to pick up the bike and ride it back home to Nashville, TN.

The Good:

Well, mostly everything-great handling, new Rosso II tires (not my faves, but won't last long, so no biggie), really good wind resistance-very comfortable, the sound, the fury...

The Bad:

1. Had a K&N Filter blow out about (YUP-Right at The End Nut Thingum) 60 miles after leaving.

Lucky me, I noticed smoke, had an exit handy, took it and limped into a Shell station full of nice folks and an Advanced Auto Parts shop 1/2 mile away.
They had the shorter version of the oil filter handy (204-there was a 303 on the bike-the 204made it easier to reinstall, for sure).
Even luckier me, I didn't effing crash out, as the rear tire was SOAKED with oil.
Luckiest me, yet? Still had about 1 qt of oil left in the bike after it puked a quart onto the ground after "Landing", left some more after removing the old filter, etc, so the mill was always lubricated.
Cost me about 2.5 hours, but I still made it to the Nashville Side of Knoxville before shutting down for the night.

2. The front headlight lens seems a bit too easy to remove, though the o-ring around it seems reasonably intact/fresh and it didn't come off during 630 miles of riding from DC to Nashville. What should I do about that?

The Situation at Hand:

I took delivery of a motorcycle, a key and a title; the owner has shipped out to Kuwait and his friend was a man of few words, so I didn't get a ton of info before heading out, other than the issue with the SPU was taken care of and a few other maintenance things were done, new tires, fresh oil (!), radiator fluid, etc.

What I didn't get were any more keys, a manual, things of that nature.

The Newbie to 910R Question Set:

1. Any better suggestions for a filter that isn't a K&N? How about oil? (Just Kidding)
1a. Should I replace the KN-204 with the KN-303, should I trust reinstalling one of their filters?
2. I have but one key, and it doesn't seem to fit the lock under the seat-should there be another?
3. How about changing settings on the dashboard?
I have Total Miles displayed, but there's only the grey "Set" button and it seems to not do much, but I don't know how to get to a trip mileage indicator or anything like that; is it even n option on this bike?
4. Oil Level-should this be viewed with the bike on the sidestand, or with the bike level?

I'm certain I'll have more questions, and I have sought an owner's manual online to answer some of these (no luck) but, for as imperfect a situation as I have here, I'm loving yet another MV Agusta motorcycle.

I finally dove off the superslab near Center Hill Dam and hit a few twisty bits and, I should say, the willingness to lean rather far over was really confidence inspiring right out of the gate and I can't wait to check it out some more.

Thanks, as always, for any and all suggestions/help.

Best to all!

King Williams

I know this switch is around here somewhere.. OUCH!

2014 MV Agusta F3 675, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910R, 2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2006 Ducati ST3, 2000 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Welcome!

Manuals are here for free: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta
kingwilliams likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:56 PM

New Site Garage
Hi use a purolator PL14612 OIL FILTER 2/ reglue that headlamp lens otherwise it will fall out you cant buy them
3/ when the engine is running pres the starter button to scroll through functions
oil level check when bike is level .
kingwilliams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
People will correct me IF I am wrong, but I do believe you will want to "re-glue" the headlight glass on.

Per Noel on here use: 3M Window Weld
kingwilliams likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Good Evening!

Thank You for all the answers and advice, I'll take it all to the bank!

I am still wondering-should there be a second key to get underneath the seat?

OH-how do folks get at the rear brake fluid reservoir?

Is that simply a seat removal thing, or is it more than that?

Being unable, yet, to remove the seat, I am left wondering...

Thanks again, everyone for your help, I really appreciate your time taken in sending me advice.

Cheers and Best Regards,

King Williams

2014 MV Agusta F3 675, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910R, 2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2006 Ducati ST3, 2000 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:31 AM

Your bike's seat lock is changed. One key fits all: ignition, fuel cap and seat lock. There should be no separate keys for it. At least that's how it is on my 910R.

Cheers,
Laur.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:28 AM

New Site Garage
Should (will) be the same key. Bang down hard on the top at the back of the seat (the pointy bit near the tail light) as you try to turn the key. Once it's off spray the cable lock with WD40/CRC etc.

Cheers

Deano
cruiser and kingwilliams like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thank You, Again, Gentlemen!

I did manage to get the key to unlock the seat-turns out, it is only supposed to go in halfway, which is kinda wacky, but I'll take it.

There was an owner's manual, a small tool kit and a snug place to harbor the all important registration.

I've teflon lubed the keyhole and lithium greased the works (what I had on hand).

It's a Go now!

Now, to figure out how to get a copy of the ONE key I have; this isn't a transponder key, is it?

Best,

King Williams

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
It is not a transponder key.
kingwilliams likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family. !!! And a good choice of bikes.

How many miles on your new to you MV?

Pay particular attention to the chain adjustment. DO NOT over tighten the chain... a bit loose is better than too tight. DO NOT over tighten the swing arm pinch bolts when you adjust the chain.

DO reglue the headlight glass. Ride and enjoy.

Consider joining us at the Gapalicious... do a search.
kingwilliams likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode