Has anyone here owned both a B3 and a B4? Would love to hear you experiences - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone here owned both a B3 and a B4? Would love to hear you experiences

I'm looking at buying a used MV, either a 1078/1090 or a 800RR. I'm selling my current bike because I miss my big naked (Triumph Speed Triple) and want to get back on something similar. I'm drawn to the B4 for obvious reasons, but I love the look of the 800RR. I've test ridden a 2015 1090 and was blown away by the power, but haven't had a chance to ride an 800 yet.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 AM

I was in a similar position when shopping for the MV Brutale. I tested a left over 2015 800RR at the local dealer. The bike was light, very flickable. I might have even bought it as the deal was very sweet, but I came to look at the B3 after riding a 910 for the better part of that day. For me torque was the deciding factor and in the end I ended up with a 1090RR. Rode it today, great bike, stable and freaking powerful. I am not an expert in MV, as such everything I've mentioned here is from personal experience.

As a side note, I ended up with an MV after spending a bit of time looking for Tuono Gen I and/or II. I like their V2 Rotax engine but unfortunately I could not find a bike that I truly liked. I feel getting an MV was a step up but I still have a bit of yearning for a Gen 2 Tuono Factory.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 AM

James has owned 750,910, 1090 and now 800 in that order. Where are you @Sydney910R; ?

Last edited by rsawkins; 04-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I currently own a 2010 B4 1090RR and a 2015 B3 800RR...

I personally prefer the 1090RR, but my wife prefers the 800RR.

I find the 800 a bit buzzy, but it does everything well in a light package.

The 1090 is power all day long.

I'd guess the question might revolve around what you seek in a bike.

I am 6'2" and 250 pounds, my wife is 5'6" and roughly half that weight. Inseam doesn't matter as both bikes are about the same seat height. It depends on your preferences.
lucydad likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Last edited by silentservice703; 04-23-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:37 PM

New Site Garage
I test rode an 800RR, loved the 3 pipe look and knew the power would be "enough". Also tried the 1090RR and thats what I ended up with. I just found it more comfortable, which is strange because both riding positions appear quite similar.

The 800 you need to work at, needs revs. The 1090 you just have power everywhere.

If its a looks thing, then you can always change the twin exhaust on the 1090 to a single, then both bikes look pretty similar, especially with a seat cowl on. If you like spoked wheels of the Dragster then you can buy Kineo wheels after market for the 1090 or 800RR

The 800 comes with more up to date electronics, the 1090 just has traction control. Cant say I miss what I never had, and when you read of the issues people have sometimes, less gizmos are better.

Overall both are great bikes, if you just rode either one in isolation you would likely buy it, it really depends on where/how you ride.

cheers
bogie
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
I was in your shoes rather recently myself.

Tested a Dragster RR which I love the looks of (best color combo Black and Red) and took my buddies 1090rr out a few times lucky for me again the best color combo. The 1090 is tried and true, lots of years worth of development and these guys on this forum know the ins and outs about these bikes.

So upon listening to the powers that be on this site and doing a lot of research for myself I went with the 1090rr and I absolutely love her!!

Now IF only I could find a way to get a dragster seat and ass end mounted to the 1090
Armando1969 and Armando1969 like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Cosmetically the Dragster RR with spoke wheels is my dream bike, but well outside my budget. I don't know what the used market is like elsewhere, but depreciation is savage on MV's here in new Zealand, so maybe in a few years. I'm leaning heavily towards the 1078/1090 over the 800 simply because I miss the massive torque of my Speed Triple. I'm short (5'6") but don't have an issue with larger bikes. My current bike is a Husqvarna 701 SM, and I don't struggle at all with the seat height.

@Tirefriar, Tuono is definitely on my short list. However in the used market you get a better deal over here on MV's - I guess everyone is still a bit scared of them (which is ironic seeing as the Tuono has a huge list of reliability issues).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 AM

Has anyone here owned both a B3 and a B4? Would love to hear you experiences

Wait for the new B4 Dragster

But as you’re buying second hand Might have a wait !

Ride both if you can - the 800’s are fun bikes

As above the 4’s will be updated next year .,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”

Last edited by CharLy; 04-24-2018 at 01:04 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat.Millington View Post
Cosmetically the Dragster RR with spoke wheels is my dream bike, but well outside my budget. I don't know what the used market is like elsewhere, but depreciation is savage on MV's here in new Zealand, so maybe in a few years. I'm leaning heavily towards the 1078/1090 over the 800 simply because I miss the massive torque of my Speed Triple. I'm short (5'6") but don't have an issue with larger bikes. My current bike is a Husqvarna 701 SM, and I don't struggle at all with the seat height.

@Tirefriar, Tuono is definitely on my short list. However in the used market you get a better deal over here on MV's - I guess everyone is still a bit scared of them (which is ironic seeing as the Tuono has a huge list of reliability issues).
The inseam is a big issue with Aprilia, they are tall in the seat. I too was surprised that the used market favored Aprilia Tuone over the MV B4 even though the MV is a much better looking bike. They are held in much greater esteem, especially in their home country. The Rotax powered Apes are not bad in terms of reliability but the V4 generations are much more needy. Still, the V2 is on my bucket list...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:45 PM

New Site Garage
The Tuono is more like a sports bike with flat bars, has more plastic than some sportsbikes and quite a sporty riding position still . I wanted to like it, but did not find it comfortable, and not really a "naked" bike in anything other than target market.

Depreciation is bad over here on MVs too, they are 1/2 price within a few years, I think people are still fearful of the reliability, however the mature B4 platform has proved faultless for me, in 3 years/7k miles

I am waiting for the new B4 ...if its 200bhp and looks like an RVS, I will have to have one

cheers
bogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in