Brutale load capacity - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Brutale load capacity

Has anyone determined if it's actually safe to carry a passenger on board the Brutale? My wife is 115 lbs. (claimed) and even by upping tire pressure to 36 psi rear and cranking on the shock per manual specs, the bike feels unstable , kinda wallows around. Any feedback would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal2dmax
Has anyone determined if it's actually safe to carry a passenger on board the Brutale? My wife is 115 lbs. (claimed) and even by upping tire pressure to 36 psi rear and cranking on the shock per manual specs, the bike feels unstable , kinda wallows around. Any feedback would be helpful.
I took off my passenger pegs just so I would not be tempted to carry a passenger. I think personally that the Brutale is too small to adequately carry two adults safely. Two of my street mishaps were because I had a passenger on board. Get a another larger bike to handle two passengers (I have a DL 1000 Vstrom for just that reason)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 PM

According to the manual the bike can handle 900+ pounds including bike, gas, riders, gear, etc. The dry weight on the 750 (not sure on 910) is 400+ pounds. So you could be a nearly 300 pounds man and your wife could still safely ride.

As far as it being unstable. I don't think that MV took into consideration comfortably riding with a passenger when creating the Brutale. Sport bikes just weren't really made for passengers. I know I always have to tune my riding way down when riding with someone on the back, and it isn't fun. Also the angle of the seat isn't great for a passenger, I'm sure she slides into you at every stop.

You just need to get your wife a bike so she can ride next to you, that is the best way to handle it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Not very lucky..

Maybe the tire pressure is too high? Manual I believe says 33 psi. I weigh 225 and my wife says she weighs "125", so lets just add 10 just in case and I haven't felt a big difference, stability wise, when she is riding with me. I don't see how it can be anywhere near comfortable for the passenger, guess it depends on the size of the person. The other day I gave my buddy a ride to San Francisco, about a 45 ride, so he can pick up his bike and then go on a ride. The bastard is only about 150, but bike felt fine. Does she move around alot? Maybe that is contributing to it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theponydogs
According to the manual the bike can handle 900+ pounds including bike, gas, riders, gear, etc. The dry weight on the 750 (not sure on 910) is 400+ pounds. So you could be a nearly 300 pounds man and your wife could still safely ride.

As far as it being unstable. I don't think that MV took into consideration comfortably riding with a passenger when creating the Brutale. Sport bikes just weren't really made for passengers. I know I always have to tune my riding way down when riding with someone on the back, and it isn't fun. Also the angle of the seat isn't great for a passenger, I'm sure she slides into you at every stop.

You just need to get your wife a bike so she can ride next to you, that is the best way to handle it!
Agreed, the bike can handle it fine, but it is uncomfortable for the rider for any duration. The longest my wife could stand riding pilion on the Brute was about 150 miles, and she couldn't wait to get off. Most of the trouble is because the pegs are so high, and assymetric.

Get her her own bike, or get a sport-tourer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Thanks for the input. Yes, the best answer is for her to ride her own but since I sold "her" Monster 750 a while back to pay taxes, she is now claiming the Brutale as her upgrade because of compound interest.

On the tire pressure, does it not make sense to up it while carrying more weight? Normally I do run it around 32-33 rear and 30-31 front when by myself.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 PM

I reinstalled the rear rear sets and my daughter and I rode around for an hour (245 & 170). It WAS a bit for the bike but this was just a novelity ride. Tires were at 39psi rear 36 front. Spring cranked all the way. She's going to W/W and I'm getting close too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:02 PM

before brutale i rode ducati 998 s with my (lovely)(60 kg) wife.that was terrible on small velocity.driving faster was ok.But with brutale everything is easy and no problems in any kind of roads.maybe you should check the preload of springs and the "clics" of suspension.If they are not in balance ,riding with passenger (more weight) can cause unstable riding.in your manual there is a paper for suspension adjustment.maybe your lovely wife moves too much on the backseat(like mine before)......I think the adjustment causes your problems....send the results after checing,
regards mike 21
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
She's actually pretty quiet back there, Italian and grew up on skooters so knows the drill. I will double check the settings again as I may have wandered off a bit from stock settings and simply crank it up 2 clicks when she comes along. I really don't like the way the bike feels two-up and judging by most observations it never was intended to pull this load.

I do need a different bike for this I'm afraid. But What??? If Porsche came up with the Cayenne (everybody thought they were nuts then) maybe MV will come up with a true hyper-sports tourer? Hmmm.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode