Fuel pump? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump?

I was out on a ride today and the bike sputtered to a stop. The fuel pump runs when the key is on and builds pressure and stops. Then when I hit the starter the bike runs for about 2-3 seconds and then dies. If I turn on the key and lit the pump run and build up pressure and then hit the key again or the kill switch the pump will run again. When I got home via friends truck and the help of Carl and Jeff pushing it on. Pulled the tank and pump and all the hoses looked fresh.
Any Ideas and has anyone had to replace a fuel pump. Can the symptom be from a clogged fuel filter? I don`t want to start yanking fittings with out any thoughts first.
Chris.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Wow, that was fast!

I still wonder if it not some sort of electrical gremlin. If you put my pump in the the problem still exists you can rule out the fuel pump as the problem.

CAG
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Isn't there a relay that turns the fuel pump on and off with the starter button? Seems like I remember someone having a problem with it. Sorry not much I help, but could be something to checkout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

i think the relay is built in the fuse box that was replaced. And unless the pump shuts off once the bike starts ( which is posable ) I don`t think that is the problem.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM

In case of broken fuel pump: http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html

If you don't get it from CAG or some other way...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Established Member

The fuel pump was replaced on my 2004 Brutale S at around 7k miles to correct a stalling condition. I wasn't the owner of the bike at the time, just got the information from the local dealer that performed the work when I requested the bikes history. I believe the cost for replacement was ~$450 for parts and labor.

07 White/Black F4 1000R -- SOLD
04 Matte Black Brutale S -- SOLD
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Are you sure its the pump not working and not the fuel cap blocked and not letting any air in

Brit Biker with Triumphs and a love of Italians.
138 You are my best friend too.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I was there with Chris when the bike died. It happened just as the reserve fuel light came on so at first he thought he was out of fuel. He filled up but still could not start the bike.

If you prime the fuel system more than once either by twisting the key on and off or hitting the kill switch several times, it will run longer than if you just let the pump prime once, but it still dies. Cracking the throttle kills it quicker than if it just idles.

Tried it gas cap open, closed. As he posted, no lines look kinked or collapsed.

It sounds like it is not pushing enough fuel to keep the system pressurized.

The whine from the pump when it was priming was also louder than my SPR or Jeff's 910R.

Very strange.

CAG
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

I`m going to pull the fuel filter this morning and see if it is restricted and post my findings.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

OK the fuel filter was slightly restricted but still had flow. I ran some compressed air through it in both directions and it has no restriction at all now. I guess I can reinstall it and see if that did the trick. If so than it`s a cheep fix for a new filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode