slip-on advice - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

slip-on advice

Hey, I am looking into getting a new exhaust for my 04 brutale 750. There's lots of great exhaust info on here but nothing that answers my specific wants directly.

I will admit - Perhaps the primary reason for me getting aftermarket pipes is sound - but not for vanities sake. I live in San Francisco - busy city - lots of Traffic Congestion. I am a believer in "loud pipes save lives" I have an old M900 and custom Suzuki bandit 600. They are louder bikes in the lower revs and when your splitting lanes or just have tons of cagers around you on a 4 lane street there's security in people knowing you are there.

In terms of performance - I'd say the best mod I can make to get my bike out of a corner faster is to loose the 10 - 15 excess pounds my early thirties has grown on me. This bike performs so well, it's the handling in the twisties that excite me most. So I'm not equipping the exhaust to get 6 or so horsepower. It's nice but not my primary goal.

Is there any slip on solution that would work that doesn't require a new Eprom and midpipe or headers? I'm guessing even just the slip ons alone require an Eprom. I don't want to introduce flat spots or a poorer performance in any way so if I have to get the midpipes etc to do it right I will. But will the motor run smooth with Just slip ons? I'm looking for low maintenance solution. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried - I'm sure electronic ignition is easier to deal with than carb tuning. (this is my first bike with EI so new territory for me)

In terms of the sound. I love the unique note that comes with the stock pipes - I just wish they were louder at lower revs. Is there a solution that amplifies but preserves that unique MV sound better than others?

Finally - I guess my primary consideration at this time is the Arrow slip ons.

Thanks for reading.

Ro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The best option and most expensive, is the Race slip ons for the Brutale. Expect to pay about $700. If you don't have a midpipe yet, get one.

If you like the look of the dual arrow slipons, fine. I don't know how they sound.

I have the arrow thunder on my 910R. I think it sounds great. It is pretty loud. With the baffle out, it is damn loud. That is the least expensive option. No eprom, no PC3, no special headers. Although I do have a set of race headers, the butt dyno can't measure the difference from stock.

You'll get lots of opinions on this so good luck choosing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I must admit the Thunder is looking very appealing. I've watched (listened) to the various videos on youtube. The price difference and included midpipe is a nice bonus. It does look very neat and opens up under the tail nicely.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Just remember as you ride along...those cagers you want to alert only hear you after you go past...too late to save your life....Loud Pipes Cost Rights....they do NOT save lives.

That said..I like the sound of a good running engine and tuned exhaust, too. Straight pipes with no baffles of any sort on a Harley are just socially wrong.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Just remember as you ride along...those cagers you want to alert only hear you after you go past....
I beg the difference, I had a Ducati S4Rs with Arrows full race exhaust and cagers heard me coming, not only after I was gone.
When I approached a red light, I could see their faces on the side view mirror, every time! Man I miss that bike!

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Your point is well taken but I disagree.

When cars are back to back on a freeway doing 5 mph they can easily hear a louder bike coming from behind and the biggest risk here are random lane changers. But a stock bike - you are absolutely right - you don't hear them till they are past you..

I'm not naive enough to think it's wrapping me in a shroud of pillows or gives any guarantees. I always depend more on a defensive riding ability to stay safe but it can never hurt to increase your visibility even if it's by a small percentage. Stock bikes are audibly invisible and there's little advantage to that when it comes to safety. I've been city riding for 15 years from 2 stroke 125's and 250's to my MV today and I'm fairly confident it increases peoples awareness of my presence in the city. I know the biking community is divided on this issue but it works for me.

Also it's not so much the volume that gets attention as the tone of the sound - a nicely tuned bike with aftermarket exhaust typically has a deeper drone than a stock bike without being obnoxious like a harley. It's this deeper sound that stands out amongst the ambient traffic sound.

As for "loud pipes cost rights". I agree too loud can be obnoxious. I'm not looking for something loud enough to make childrens ears bleed as I ride past.. I don't want to wake up every cop within 2 miles of me. My old ducati has a remus setup on it and it's too loud. I plan on leaving the DB killer installed as that seems loud enough.

The majority of stock bikes are way too quiet and come in way under the minimum legal DB levels. You can make your bike louder - making it sound nicer and increasing your acoustic presence and still be legal.

Besides all that - they do sound sexy as hell
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Just remember as you ride along...those cagers you want to alert only hear you after you go past...too late to save your life....Loud Pipes Cost Rights....they do NOT save lives.

That said..I like the sound of a good running engine and tuned exhaust, too. Straight pipes with no baffles of any sort on a Harley are just socially wrong.
Welcome to the forum LeBron....... I hope you enjoy membership on the forum, and btw..I agree with Squeezie.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rand. I made a post about battery trouble and forum was a great help. I know many people will agree with squeezie - that's all good with me - forums are here to support different points of view. It's one of those arbitrary preferences some people have and no big deal..

I realize the chances are a bad driver who's not paying attention probably wouldn't notice a herd of Elephants so your probably not avoiding much. but I like hearing my motor Like I said - I'm gonna keep the DB killer on it so i'll try not hurt anyones rights.

I'm gonna write to mythbusters and see if they can get us some scientific evidence haha!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

Oh YES they do

sorry could'nt resist

just a bit of a tease and stick poke for ol times sake

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
Oh YES they do

Dry clutches save lives too!.....but this is an MV forum.

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode