Potential new owner: questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Potential new owner: questions

Hey all. I'm finalizing my decision on a bike this tuesday (Ducati M1100s or '08 Brutale S) and I had a question. I won't bother with a "what would you get" as I can read all kinds of opinions, and this is an MV board after all. I have ridden them both back to back twice, and now I'm just nitpicking to make sure I'm making the right decision.

That said, here's my question: are all the electrical/stalling issues I read about on this board still present on the 08's? One of the things I like about the Duc is the 2 year warrantee, and I'm worried about hitting 13 months on the Brute and running into issues. Are there any other things I should know before buying a brutale? Any experience you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Gle8; 03-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM

I'm sorry that this doesn't answer your question but an extended warranty would cost about $500. Here's some details:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...arranty&page=3

Just get it before the factory warranty expires.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 PM

All MVs have 2 year warranties too, so no worries there.

'08s have much lower frequency of issues, and the '08 part is a common fix for older bikes.

Welcome! Both are sweet bikes, though the Duck is a bit of a ug'ling.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Established Member

How many miles do you intend to ride a year?

I have an 06 with 2200 miles, no electrical problems. My friend has one with 10K miles and no problems. If I rode it everyday, a warranty would be a concern, but my bike is just a toy. The most beautiful 2 wheeled toy I know of. I like the MV most for it's looks/engineering, then for its racing pedigree, and lastly it's scarcity. If I dropped big money on a bike, I would want some exclusivity. Ducatis are by far the most "common" Italian bike, so they just don't excite me anymore. I actually like the looks of the original Monster more, just my opinion.

I think most any new 600cc+ bike these days are faster than you need and pretty reliable and in reality motorcycles are just toys to Americans so get whatever one excites you the most. If you're realistically just going to ride nice weekends and not commute, a warranty may never be called upon.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
People can be so annoying. Walking up to you in parking lots, lowering their windows, forming a crowd around your Brutale when it is parked. You will daily have to answer questions like "Sweet! What kind of bike is that" and "who makes it" or "Dude, that is sick".

Get the Ducati.

CAG
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
People can be so annoying. Walking up to you in parking lots, lowering their windows, forming a crowd around your Brutale when it is parked. You will daily have to answer questions like "Sweet! What kind of bike is that" and "who makes it" or "Dude, that is sick".

Get the Ducati.

CAG
It beats hearing "I think your engine needs oil" type of statement, when you have an open clutch cover on a dry clutch!
The truth of the matter is, are you a I4 or a Vtwin kind of guy?
I love my MV but I miss the torque down low soo much when I ride it, on the other hand, low rpm, short shift, is where I feel more comfortable with. Can't beat the looks but let's face it, how long will it take to get parts if you need them these days? I love my MV but I really thing when the Street Fighter comes out she'll have to go!

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

The 2 things that sway me towards the Duc are the sound of the twin and the engine breaking. I'm coming from an 05 620, so it's what I'm used to. That said, I'm willing to get used to something else as welll *grin*

Ultimately, the Duc is more confidence inspiring, at least during the short test rides. For me, it's a question of:

1) Go with what I'm comfortable with
2) Go with something I can grow into
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Established Member

As far as being comfrtabe on the bike itself, if you are below 6' tall you're gonna love the way a Brutale wraps around you, other than that, is all a matter of getting used to.
I have to say 1 thing about the Brute, you can toss her around like a bicycle, is light and way more comfrtable than a Monster (I had a 07 S4Rs).

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
The 2 things that sway me towards the Duc are the sound of the twin and the engine breaking. I'm coming from an 05 620, so it's what I'm used to. That said, I'm willing to get used to something else as welll *grin*

Ultimately, the Duc is more confidence inspiring, at least during the short test rides. For me, it's a question of:

1) Go with what I'm comfortable with
2) Go with something I can grow into

The Triumph Speed Triple is great.... worth a look if you are still looking.

If you are sold on a v-twin, try a Tuono first.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rossa View Post
As far as being comfrtabe on the bike itself, if you are below 6' tall you're gonna love the way a Brutale wraps around you, other than that, is all a matter of getting used to.
I have to say 1 thing about the Brute, you can toss her around like a bicycle, is light and way more comfrtable than a Monster (I had a 07 S4Rs).
The brute felt better from an ergo standpoint (I'm 5'9, 140) but again, it was only for the short test ride. I plan on doing quite a few trips from Philly to VA. The thing is, even though the duc seemed bigger, it was more confidence inspiring in the turns. The throttle response from the Brute was so fast that I felt I'd chirp it out in the corners and lose traction. Whereas the duc allowed me to go into a corner in pretty much any gear and use the engine breaking and low end torque to ease my way through. Either that, or being closer to the front wheel on the Brute made it just feel different than I'm used to.

I'm not new to bikes, but I am new to bikes bigger than my old M620.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode