First year on my 750S - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

First year on my 750S

Thought I would share my experiences with my '04 Brutale 750S - some of them bad and some of them good.

I bought my Brutale about 1 year ago with ~10K miles on it. It was in relatively good shape when I first looked at it but you really never get to know a used motor vehicle until you own it for a while. So I took the chance because I really wanted to own an Agusta. Unfortunately, I ran into the two most common major issues with Brutales: rear hub bearings and flakey CPU/CDI.

My rear wheel started feeling a little funny riding home from work one day - kinda like the rear tire was in a pavement groove. I wasn't too familiar with the rear hub problems that everyone else knew about (I was new to Agustas after all) and didn't pick up on it right away. Well by the time I got home the rear hub had essentially disintegrated. The whole unit had to be replaced and took two months to get it from Italy.

Shortly after getting the rear hub installed and I started riding it again, the power would cut out at random times (and places!). Fortunately I have a good friend who would respond to my phone calls of distress and pick me up with his truck. By now, I was an avid reader of these forums - constantly scouring threads for info - and through the information on these forums it was clear the CDI unit was shot. Fortunately, there was one in stock in the US and was able to order it and have installed in about two weeks. The cut-out problem solved as well as a few other minor electrical issues.

Despite these headaches, I still loved my Brutale and really enjoyed riding it but felt it was a little sluggish in the power department, particularly in 3000-6000RPM range. It really seemed like it would "lug through it" (sorry for bad description) and then once it hit 6000 it was like a turbo kicked in. I managed to pick up stainless Moto Corse cans, an Arrow mid-pipe and Arrow headers on these forums while picking up the EPROM from emoto.

Once installed it was like I had awoke a sleeping beast and gave him a can of redbull! Wow, it goes like a rocket now. I've never purchased an aftermarket exhaust for a bike before and am astounded at the difference it makes. I have owned other 750s and 1000s but of the Japanese flavor and without a doubt my Brutale would smoke any other 750 I've owned and would have no problems keeping up with a 1000, at least under 120MPH. I don't know if the EPROM makes a difference in power but there is a sutble difference in the low RPMS - it seems to have removed the twitchiness. I have to admit, it doesn't cruise around as smoothly as before but I have no problem sacrificing a little streetablilty for the gain in power.

My next project is to replace the drive train on it. The sprockets are still in decent shape but several links in the chain are getting sticky - a good sign the o-rings are shot. I'm not sure when or if they have been changed but I'm going to overhaul everything while picking up the quick change unit found on the newer models. The bike now has ~11500 miles so its probably due.

Sorry for the long post - I don't post too often so I thought I'd get it all out in one sitting ;-)

I want to give a big thanks to all the Agusta riders out there who share their experiences here. Without your help, my ownership to date would have been a much different experience. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM

Hey Chris, thanks for the post.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Established Member

welcome to the family amigo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Established Member

Great post! I'm just a few miles/months behind you with the same year/model/miles bike... still working through the little bugs and maintenance as well as the little cosmetic mods. I'd love to see pics of the bike/exhaust if you have any?

07 White/Black F4 1000R -- SOLD
04 Matte Black Brutale S -- SOLD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Here ya go. BTW, the PitBull stands are the best.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Good post--Had those smae issues myself unfortunately.

Dude, your chain is TOAST!!!!!!! Unless you want to ruin your new bearings, stop riding until you get that replaced, wow!

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Like I said ... a new drive train is my current project ... ;-)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Established Member

Hey, that's my bike!

I bought it a few months ago. Same year, same color. 250 miles on the odometer.

I'm in the process of installing an impeller upgrade, new Pirelli tires, new brake pads and a few cosmetic touches.

Any other tips you'd offer?

'05 FJR 1300
'05 F4S "Custom"

'04 Brutale
'08 Suzuki DR650
'74 RD350 Restoration Project
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Established Member

How many miles when the rear wheel bearings went? Do you ever wash it with a pressure washer?
Thanks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

@Mogan - tips ... the exhaust makes a big difference and keep on eye on "ghosts" in your electrical system. Almost everyone here with an older Brutale has run into problems with their CDI. Other than that just enjoy your sweet ride with so few miles!

@wallaman - there was about ~11K on it when the bearing went. I bought it at ~10.5K so I don't know the full history but I certainly did not wash it with a pressure washer. In fact, since I've had it, its only seen a few drops of rain. Its pretty dry and clean here in North Texas so I've only had to wash it twice. Both times, I did it by hand with a wet rag.

I will post pictures of my disintegrated hub ... when I find it (I just moved). Its a really beauty 8-P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode