Anonymous Engine Cut-off!!! - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tim107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 890
Send a message via MSN to tim107
Anonymous Engine Cut-off!!!

My Brutale got towed 3 times for the same reason.
It has bugged me enough that I need to seek help from fellow members.

The engine cuts off at anytime, any engine temp, any fuel level.
I can't start it once it dies. The bike shop checked the bike with a
Diagnostic program and no problem at all with the spark plugs, ECU,
ignition timing and air/fuel ratio.

My checks at every engine cut-off:
- Fuel level
- Engine temp
- Fuel pump

Remarks: Something I found very strange everytime the bike gets
towed. It starts up again when the bike gets back to the bike shop.
From the result, the bike starts up again when the engine is cold.

Does it matter if I install a RapidBike (similar to Dynojet PCIII)?
Would that be the problem causing the ECU to cut off the engine at anytime?
Do you guys have the same problem with your Brutale?

Motorcycle is more than just a transport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tim107 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Old Wing Nut
 
esq'z me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 18,116
Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
If you have installed an aftermarket fueling device (RapidBike or similar) the first thing I would do would be unplug it and see if the problem recurs.

No, this is not a common problem.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
esq'z me is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
MV Cellist
 
odonata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Culver City, CA. USA
Posts: 4,593
Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Tim, so it is still happening? i remember it happened after our short ride together...

Like Ed said, I think the RapidBike may be the issue, I had a PCIII on my 03 R6 gone bad, the symptom was that the bike would die without warning, it died while I was on the freeway the 1st time for no reason, the 2nd time it actually caused slow speed crash as I was making a u turn with throttle open slightly, the engine braking from the suddenly dead bike caused the bike to jerk and drop.

later it was determined that it was a faulty unit and there was a factory recall. after the replacement there was no more issues.

good luck.

O D O N A T A




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
odonata is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tim107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 890
Send a message via MSN to tim107
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
If you have installed an aftermarket fueling device (RapidBike or similar) the first thing I would do would be unplug it and see if the problem recurs.

No, this is not a common problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
Tim, so it is still happening? i remember it happened after our short ride together...

Like Ed said, I think the RapidBike may be the issue, I had a PCIII on my 03 R6 gone bad, the symptom was that the bike would die without warning, it died while I was on the freeway the 1st time for no reason, the 2nd time it actually caused slow speed crash as I was making a u turn with throttle open slightly, the engine braking from the suddenly dead bike caused the bike to jerk and drop.

later it was determined that it was a faulty unit and there was a factory recall. after the replacement there was no more issues.

good luck.
Thanks guys, I'll do that and see how it goes.

Motorcycle is more than just a transport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tim107 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
rents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 968
When you say engine cut-out, are you losing all electrical power to the bike?

If that's the case then it's more than likely the SPU, which IS a common problem with 750 Brutales.
rents is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rents View Post
When you say engine cut-out, are you losing all electrical power to the bike?

If that's the case then it's more than likely the SPU, which IS a common problem with 750 Brutales.
I'll bet 99.99% is IS the SPU (CDI/Fuse box, whatever).

My bike began doing this last March, and the dealer and importer ran through EVERYTHING trying to avoid the obvious. New SPU, no problems.

I feel for you, it's incredibly dangerous, and honestly, even though mine was fixed, it was one of the main reasons I sold the bike. Losing throttle at 75mph on a freeway ramp, going up a steep mountian road around a blind corner, dying at a stop light in the mleft lane of a 6 lane street, and haveing to push the bike across 50mph traffic to the sidewalk, dying on a arterial next to a concrete wall with no shoulder--All of these happened, and many others, and scared the piss out of me and made me lose complete confidence in the bike, not to mention the meetings and classes I missed while waiting for a tow, or the bike to decide to work again.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
fazer6 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 8,920
A wod of advice--STOP RIDING THE BIKE. It can die at any moment, in any situation, and it's not worth the risk. You could easliy be taken out by a truck, or...well anything really.

If they won't replace the CPU, ditch the bike. Sorry.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
fazer6 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tim107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 890
Send a message via MSN to tim107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
A wod of advice--STOP RIDING THE BIKE. It can die at any moment, in any situation, and it's not worth the risk. You could easliy be taken out by a truck, or...well anything really.

If they won't replace the CPU, ditch the bike. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
I'll bet 99.99% is IS the SPU (CDI/Fuse box, whatever).

My bike began doing this last March, and the dealer and importer ran through EVERYTHING trying to avoid the obvious. New SPU, no problems.

I feel for you, it's incredibly dangerous, and honestly, even though mine was fixed, it was one of the main reasons I sold the bike. Losing throttle at 75mph on a freeway ramp, going up a steep mountian road around a blind corner, dying at a stop light in the mleft lane of a 6 lane street, and haveing to push the bike across 50mph traffic to the sidewalk, dying on a arterial next to a concrete wall with no shoulder--All of these happened, and many others, and scared the piss out of me and made me lose complete confidence in the bike, not to mention the meetings and classes I missed while waiting for a tow, or the bike to decide to work again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rents View Post
When you say engine cut-out, are you losing all electrical power to the bike?

If that's the case then it's more than likely the SPU, which IS a common problem with 750 Brutales.
Speaking of the SPU (IS), are you guys saying it's the fuel injector
fuse failing? If that's the case, why wouldn't an electronic diagnostic
program pick that problem up? Or would the program only check the
fuel injectors (themselves)?

Motorcycle is more than just a transport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tim107 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim107 View Post
Speaking of the SPU (IS), are you guys saying it's the fuel injector
fuse failing? If that's the case, why wouldn't an electronic diagnostic
program pick that problem up? Or would the program only check the
fuel injectors (themselves)?
I don't know exactly what is does, but there is a relay inside the fuse box that is failing--We were able to hear it click on and off when we were trying to troubleshoot the bike in the shop, after towing it back home (100 miles) for the third time (spent a whole day with the shop owner trying finally to solve it). It's not serviceable, though maybe it could be bypassed?
Getting a new box took 2 months a year ago; I assume it's nearly impossible now.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
fazer6 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Established Member
 
La Rossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 235
My PC111 did that on my S4Rs, I was thinking a bad kickstand switch but it turned out being the PC, it stopped doing it as soon as we took it off. Dynojet won't replace anything unless you threat to sue in case of an accident. The box was replaced in no time and the problem went with it.

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP
La Rossa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome