Weird Electrical Issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Angry Weird Electrical Issues

So right in the middle of a sharpish turn, my '03 Brute loses power.

I was able to right the bike, and tried to start the motor again and it came back for about 5 seconds and died again. I pulled over and checked the self check came up fine but the bike would not start and I could not hear the fuel pump come up.

I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown but it smelt like BBQ in there.

The mechanic checked it out and initially said I would probably be up for about AUD$2000 to replace the junction box and ECU. He called me about 1 hour later to say that they were able to rewire and the ECU was fine. He said the computer diagnostics were completely normal.

What I have noticed now is that the blinker pattern is irregular. It might blink rhythmically for 4 or even 8 but then it'll do a double blink or a quick flicker and back into rhythm again.

I'm worried about riding it now until I know what's wrong with the thing incase the fusebox wants to fry again. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it might be time to go back to a very reliable jap bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Established Member

ECU issues

ceej,

The Brutale ECU issues are well documented on this forum. I, like many had similar problems i.e. bike stalling while at highway speed, blinkers not turning on, turning off, etc... The Italians make sexy bikes, but I seriously question their electrical engineering ability. My dealer replaced my CCU, with a new version & all problems went away.

Good luck!

06 910S / Matris Damper / Arrow Mid Pipe / CRG Mirrors / Moto License Plate Relo & Bar Ends / Frame & Axle Sliders / Ohlins Rear Spring / 41 tooth rear sprocket / Custom Seat
03 HD V-Rod

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"... George Harrison
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Interesting aside on Italian electronics...the Service Control Unit ("CDI", fuse box, whatever) is reputedly made by SAAB.....regardless, the later versions are much less troublesome then early ones...(he says with his fingers crossed).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Yes I had that till it was replaced. We should do a poll on this issue to find out the number of replacements.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 AM

I have a 2008 Brutale....do you think my CCU needs to be replaced....bile is stalling and i have a recent post....http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21348
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
This has not been an issue with 2008 bikes. More likely improper TPS setting and idle CO trim.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode