the brutale is going to paris. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joanne
the brutale is going to paris.

hi off to pairs in may, just booked the ferry, first time abroad on a bike, or any transport really, so i need any advice or practical tips for riding abroad, i a complete virgin abroad so any advice is appreciated. thanks.

It's all very funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Well, first would be: ride on the right(and I mean right) side of road.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

yeh thanks for that anything else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Hi Joanne,

First of all, if you have never taken your bike outside of the UK, your first decision will be whether to ride on highways or national roads once you get to France.
Forgetting to stay on the right side of the road very easily happens...so maybe taking the Highway until you reach Paris might be a litte more boring but safer.

On the other hand, if you want to see some French country side, national roads are a must.
Naturally, make sure you carefully plan your trip ahead of time and decide where to stop for fuel, food and noise powdering :-)
You can use www.mappy.fr or www.viamichelin.fr for guidance.

-Regarding equipment, get yourself a tankbag like this cool FAMSA one http://www.mvagusta-vesuvio.com/view..._brutale_.html . You won't have to bear the time of your stuff over the shoulders. Make sure you keep your credit card handy to pay for highway tols or fuel (tankbag's side pockets are perfect for that).

-Go for a 2-piece leather suit as it's easier to take off and put back on when needed and DO NOT FORGET A RAIN SUIT unless you're a mermaid.

-Take a tyre repair kit with you just in case and a small chain lube which you will use gently every 750Kms or less if it rains.

-if you're going to be riding during nightime, XENON beams are recommended so cars can really see you coming...especially if you're not used to riding on the other side of the road.

-it is better to select a hotel outside of Paris unless your hotel has an indoor & closed parking

When are you coming ?
We often organize dinners with MV fellows and ride outs and you're more than welcome.

take care and ride safe!

Last edited by khameron; 01-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

thanks a lot there's a lot of good advice there. what about km/miles how do i judge my speed, are the fuzz strict over there? have i got to carry all my original documents? I'm excited but nervous if you know what i mean, were traveling on th 8th may till 10th may just a short trip see how we like it, one of my friends is a seasoned traveler but the rest of us, novice, although i did ride a bike in Rhodes for a day, that was weird.(no not a scooter a cruiser can't believe the bloke lent it me.)thanks for your advice, jo

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Established Member

[i a complete virgin abroad...]

take some condoms, guys can be sneaky
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 PM

The Miles to Kms thing is a bit tricky indeed...

The max speed on the highway is usually 130Km/h (82 miles per hour).
On national roads : 90Km/h (55 miles per hour)
Within villages and towns : 50Km/h (30 miles per hour)

Don't bother trying to calculate your speed while you're riding. Simply put 3 different stickers on your odometer and write the equivalent speed in Km/h on each of them next to the respective value in miles. I don't think the MVs odometers can show both miles and kms...

Automatic speed cameras are always annnounced in France 400meters on a large bilboard before you actuallyget to them.
So you really should be looking for trouble if you don't deccelerate before getting to them.
Cop radars are not announced and those are the nasty ones you need to really look out for...

Cops will let you get away with an extra 10Km/h above the speed limit, probably even 15Km/h if you're a girl and play nice.
Needless to say, i've never gotten away without a ticket :-D I'm a blog and i'm naturally tanned. None of these are good assets for negotiating with law inforcement people.

Take all your papers with you. Make sure your insurance covers you for continental Europe (call them and ask!).
Also, you will need an "assistance service" just in case your bike breaks down nowhere nearby a place where you can get some help.

If you guys have some technical trouble with your bikes once you're in Paris. Let me know and we'll help you out with our mechanic.

Voilà Madame.

Last edited by khameron; 01-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

To work out your speed, why don't you just switch your display from MPH to KPH?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
+1
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Then you need to get in touch with Jay at Vesuvio (sponsor here) and go for a ride. He lives close in to Paris.

Motovation is now on Facebook -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode