Do I need a pc AND eprom? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Do I need a pc AND eprom?

Anyone care to explain to me exactly how the eprom works with the power commander? If the PC overrides the stock injection maps then how is an eprom affected? Maybe I'm way off track. Call it a mod-noob question.

With my current mod's (arrow mid and bmc filter) I know I probably could get by without either, but I want to know the relationship between the two.

Oh, and how much do eprom specs vary? Are they all about the same or is an MV Corse eprom way different from an Arrow or FBF?

"...and as I shifted into 6th, the engine screaming ferociously beneath me, I stared into the face of god." - Johnny

'05 MV Agusta Brutale S 750 (Nero)
'05 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM

There's a computer chip, EPROM, that does what a PC would do. However, if you do any strange mods, like putting on velocity stacks that stick out of the top of the bike or something, the EPROM wouldn't handle that, but the PC would. So, no, you don't need both, but depending on the mods, you can get one or the other.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
No, you don't need both.

CAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Like CAG said, You don't need both. In my case I installed the eMoto chip. Mainly because I wanted to smooth the throttle response and possibly improve the gas mileage. It did seemed like the throttle was better afterwords and my gas mileage improved ( I was getting 23 mpg ) . Now I'm seeing 30 -33 depending on how I am riding.... . But based on some dyno post's on this site. I think a Power commander may be in order. It might release a few more hp. If you add a PC it will bypass the chip. So if you want a PC don't both with chip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Bruatle S - Sold -
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2018 KTM Super Duke 1290R
2018 MV Dragster 800 RR
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I'm not planning on doing a lot of mods. Aside from the filter and midpipe, the most I plan to do is get new cans, nothing else. I guess my question is, how accurate is an eprom matched to a mod-set? Of course the PC is more accurate, as I could have a custom map made for exactly my mods, but just how flexible is an eprom, and exactly what mods are they designed for? I wouldn't mind saving myself $200 if I don't need the PC.

Btw, thanks for the clarification.

"...and as I shifted into 6th, the engine screaming ferociously beneath me, I stared into the face of god." - Johnny

'05 Suzuki GSX-R 600
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Talk to X81. He is experimenting with a programmable eprom, I think. Other than that, they are not flexible at all. You have to buy one that is flashed and plug it in.

CAG
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Sorry, I should rephrase that. By flexible, I meant how many variations of mod's can an eprom accomodate. Ex. If I did extensive engine mods: porting, altered cams, big bore kit, etc, etc... obviously a PC would be better, as it can be programmed to work with any setup (from what I understand). Question being, is an eprom's functional range of engine configurations wide enough to include anything from bone stock to a full exhaust with a filter?

'05 Suzuki GSX-R 600
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM

I'd say no. If you think about it like this, a car's ECU is able to accommodate changes in it's system because it's a closed-loop system, referring readings to itself over and over again. The EPROM tells the ECU what it's doing entirely. So, if we open up the air filter, it's getting more air than used to and it will run lean, because it doesn't know any better.

Over all, I say get the PC, 'cause the EPROM might not like the altitude you're at or anything else.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM

then again, I'm probably wrong.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Established Member

You don't need both

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle53 View Post
Like CAG said, You don't need both. In my case I installed the eMoto chip. Mainly because I wanted to smooth the throttle response and possibly improve the gas mileage. It did seemed like the throttle was better afterwords and my gas mileage improved ( I was getting 23 mpg ) . Now I'm seeing 30 -33 depending on how I am riding.... . .
Like he said....

The one thing a chip will do that a PC3 won't is adjust the ignition advance curve - that is why I went chip Moto One from Australia 2 years ago - very happy.

JIM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode