New Ownership Concerns? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

New Ownership Concerns?

Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum as I'm currently riding a Ducati MTS 1000s (which I love) but I seem to have the itch. Took a test drive on a 910s yesterday and fell in love with this amazing machine. I have a few concerns which hopefully can be addressed.

Reliablity?
I've been having a bunch of niggles with my Duc which never seem to quite get addressed. Not sure if it's the bike or the dealer, but lately have felt it's a little of both. I'm wondering how reliable members bikes have been? I read the post about the member who went 2000 miles in a few days and was surprised to see that no maintence was required. Is this the norm?

Parts Availability?
When you've need parts, do dealers generally have the maintainece items in stock and how long for special order parts? I've been reading about the race exhaust woes from the R owners, and that sounds a lot like Ducati.

Known Issues?
As with any bike, there generally seems to be one or two issues that plague a particular bike. On the MTS it's typcially exhaust leaks from the OEM system, digital display simply doesn't function and oil tends to weep from the filter. Was wondering what if any issues surround the 910?

Dealer Network?
This represents a huge problem for me living in south Florida. The ONLY MV dealer in Florida is DucatiMiami, which seems to be experiencing a lot of growth pains lately. (they are my current dealer for the Duc) It's bad enough that there is only one other Ducati dealer 70 miles to the north of my home who hates being a Ducati dealer, though several are located throughout the state, should push turn to shove.

If I needed another MV dealer, I would have to travel to another state - this possess a serious problem in my mind which is what prompted this post originially - reliabity. I'm assuming like with Ducati, Pro Italia is one of the premier MV dealers in the USA and could be used as a resource for parts. (makes me want to live in CA)

Here's the question, are forum members able to do some of their own wrenching on the bikes? Is it any more complicated then other in-line fours? What services must be performed by the dealer? I'm thinking if need be with the help of some friends, I could do most of the maintainence on the bike myself, unless those here feel otherwise.

Thanks for you're assistance and I must say, you all are very lucky to be riding such an extraordinary motorcycle!! If there is anything else you think I should consider, please let know, as I'm very taken with the particular bike but worried that it might be too exotic for my practical nature. Problem is, Japanese motorcycles simply don't do it for me.

TIA,
Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
i am extremely interested in the answer to this question as well.
i currently have an '02 BMW K1200LT and an "05 BMW R1200GS
i am thinking of trading in BOTH bikes for:
1. 2007 BMW K1200GT..... AND
2. 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910R

..... sound crazy?
i'd LOVE to hear the thoughts of the folks around here
thanks so much in advance

greg

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Buy The Brutale, There Will Be No Regrets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
Buy The Brutale, There Will Be No Regrets!
it hasn't taken you long to convince me
i'm in..... for sure

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addysdaddy

Reliablity?
I'm wondering how reliable members bikes have been? I read the post about the member who went 2000 miles in a few days and was surprised to see that no maintence was required. Is this the norm?

Known Issues?
As with any bike, there generally seems to be one or two issues that plague a particular bike. On the MTS it's typcially exhaust leaks from the OEM system, digital display simply doesn't function and oil tends to weep from the filter. Was wondering what if any issues surround the 910?
On reliability, perhaps it was me that did 2000 miles in a week or so. Both my friends on Z750 kawaski's were predicting that I would breakdown. It didn't need one thing doing to it or have any problems the whole journey, including 230 miles in torrential rain, and constant 34deg+ heat throughout the length of Spain.

Its up to 3.5K miles and just had its next service. No issues found but throttle bodies rebalanced which makes a big difference to the smoothness . My wifes Brutale is up to 4.5K miles and not one thing needed doing other than a service.

On issues I would say the throttle set up is the main one, you need someone who can set these up properly else you are plagued with hunting at mid revs and a slight hesitation on a closed to on throttle. It seems to get better with more miles but not enough to be definative on that yet.

I had a Multistrada before this and the quality of the MV is streets ahead, more like an RC30. Have a look at a engine mounting bolt, the machining (hence cost) shows why MV's tend to be so expensive.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Blackbruty, really enjoyed your post about the 2000 mile trip which made me very yearn for such a holiday. I'm so in love with this bike (absolutely the "prom queen" of motorcycles) but again, being tied into the one and only dealer in my entire state is a huge negative. I've gotten to be friendly with the chief mechanic (from all my MTS visits & come backs) and he claims the MV is as good if not better than the Duc.

Are you planning on doing any of your own wrenching on this bike? How often are the service intervals on the MV? On the MTS its every 6k miles which includes a value adjustment - read time consuming and expensive. Speaking of the MTS, any regrets about making the change as there are some really great things about the Mulistrada that would be tough to part with. (i.e. top case for carrying stuff, two up riding and a small windshield to yield some quiet air when traveling at speed) Noticed the prototype screen that one forum member photoshopped which looked simply awesome. Actually I thought it was OEM and wanted to know the cost.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback.

Stuart

Last edited by addysdaddy; 07-04-2006 at 03:21 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM

hi addisdaddy,

Reliablity? : 9/10
Parts Availability? : depends on your dealer if he has a good service, ordering peaces can take quit some time . Italie is about 700 miles from home and 3 months waiting is no exception

Known Issues? :
beamer light in dashboard flicks up while shifting somethimes (no cure for it, just have to live with it (but thats not a problem at all )
fluid liquid problem around 10k km, problem can be fixed very fast
i had my rear wheel coming of slowly from bridge (bad installation in factory, guess somebody got fired over there by now )
took some time to gain trust again in the bike, but i can tell you im over it now and loving the bike as like the first time i saw her

Dealer Network?
yes it seems you have a very big problem, like your ducati : its italian
and we all know for what that sometimes can stand
if you dont mind waiting (sometimes longer than you can handle) you should go for it . You seem to have been bitten by the italian virus, and there's no cure for it so :
If i was you : i would do it
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the alert - the wheel thing had to be a trip. I'm hoping you didn't go down and somehow escaped what could have been a terrible tragedy.

Best regards & thanks,
Stuart
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Reliablity has been good, even though I just have over 1100 miles at this point. There are plenty of stories of good engine reliability and more than one racer has gone all season without having to rebuild the engine. I think under normal spirited street conditions, the Brutale will do just fine. As far as dealers, I am fortunate, my dealer is only 5 miles from the house. I have been looking at doing my own maintenance though and I am getting a PCIII for the bike. To do the whole maintenance thing right though, you are going to have to get a throttle body synchonizer, CO sensor plugs with diagnostic software, and a PCIII. DynaJet has a CO monitor with software for around $500. Of course, a dyno would be beneficial, but you could at least go to the local dyno store for that.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Approx 1000 miles only problem is finding time to ride it. Love this bike, had many others over 20 years of riding & racing, for sport riding, fun and second looks this is one fantastic ride. Even riding 2 up wife & I just did 50 60 miles out in the country...good stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode