A plethora of Brutale questions to ponder... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

A plethora of Brutale questions to ponder...

So, knowledge being the key to wisdom I thought some of you whizkids would have some answers. And it's winter here so I thought some homework for you all:

I quite like my Brute - I have a bunch of bikes and this is not the favourite but it does do the business, I have redone the rear shock, new spring and dialed it in nicely; the fork however is a bit more tricky - the springs are tapered at the top like the Hypermotard and Ohlins dosen't make a valve kit,

so question one:

Who makes a valve kit and where can I get springs? Hyperpro? Has anyone really redone their forks oil, springs and valving?

At the moment the weight bias feels a bit rearward - vague front end over 100mph going into corners and I want it to feel more planted - I'm running Pilot road 2cts [absolutely brilliant much better than the supercorsapro's because they warm up much faster] 180 55 on the back

question 2:

What are the base geometry specs? ride height rod length and fork spacing in the triple clamps? does anyone have the mm measurements from the MV manual? Airgap and oil level?

I have fitted rizoma rearsets in a conventional shift pattern. I would like to fit a dynojet quickshifter but from looking at the clearance I think it would only work in gp shift pattern - yes I could change the shift drum

question 3:

Seeing as you are back from the dead or the Caribbean: Airfuel, do you shift gp or standard? How did you deal with the clearance? Does the dynojet quickshifter work with rizoma rearsets in the standard shift pattern with a 'pull' mechanism?

I see that Motowheels are selling slipperclutches cheap - if you can call $600 cheap [its an addiction isn't it?] I was thinking slipper clutch and quickshifter! yowser! but then I thought well what about the EBS? I scoured all my back copies of bike mags from the years - that was a whole evening of entertainment reading and getting sidetracked by Bimota articles and bits about Godet Vincents and found 5 reviews of the 06 Brute 910. Three of them mentioned that the Brute has the EBS system.

question 4:

Does the 910 Have the Engine breaking system or not?. Definitive answer please.

question 5:

If you disable the epa air canister charcoal thingy set up does that fuck up the ebs in some way? I wondered because my bike used to have less compression braking I think. Then again I am probably imagining it. Not that I have wheel hop issues - but I'm thinking about taking this bike to the track and if I can go up the gears like lightning, tapping down three or four like Rossi appeals to the inner motogp wannabe in me.

I still get quite a bit of buzzing through the throttle that puts my hand to sleep - I have new [untried] bar end weights with the crg mirrors [and new black clutch and brake master cylinder covers from the pirates lair nice]

question 6:

Has anyone tried a bar snake? results? which size did you get?

The bar height and shape is a quandry for me and I'm searching for a new bend, the bars on the BMW F800st may be perfect but are they tapered? so Question 7:

Has anybody changed the bars to a different bend? - other than Monster bars - like LSL's superbike bars?

I was reading a thread the other day on this site where somebody categorically stated that Massimo Tamburini did not design the Brute, only the F4 [yeah they're both F4's but you know what i mean] and yes the 'F' does stand for Ferrari. So 'F' you too.

Question 7:

Did Tambo design the Brutale? links to your positive affirmation - cite your source please.

Well that's it for now boys and girlies.

Illustrations below:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacker998 View Post
So, knowledge being the key to wisdom I thought some of you whizkids would have some answers. And it's winter here so I thought some homework for you all:

I quite like my Brute - I have a bunch of bikes and this is not the favourite but it does do the business, I have redone the rear shock, new spring and dialed it in nicely; the fork however is a bit more tricky - the springs are tapered at the top like the Hypermotard and Ohlins dosen't make a valve kit,

so question one:

Who makes a valve kit and where can I get springs? Hyperpro? Has anyone really redone their forks oil, springs and valving? Matris

At the moment the weight bias feels a bit rearward - vague front end over 100mph going into corners and I want it to feel more planted - I'm running Pilot road 2cts [absolutely brilliant much better than the supercorsapro's because they warm up much faster] 180 55 on the back Raise the rear ride height

question 2:

What are the base geometry specs? ride height rod length and fork spacing in the triple clamps? does anyone have the mm measurements from the MV manual? Airgap and oil level? Sorry, not on me at the moment

I have fitted rizoma rearsets in a conventional shift pattern. I would like to fit a dynojet quickshifter but from looking at the clearance I think it would only work in gp shift pattern - yes I could change the shift drum Other members have done this, should work--you might need a "pull" type rather than push type, I don't recall

question 3:

Seeing as you are back from the dead or the Caribbean: Airfuel, do you shift gp or standard? How did you deal with the clearance? Does the dynojet quickshifter work with rizoma rearsets in the standard shift pattern with a 'pull' mechanism?

I see that Motowheels are selling slipperclutches cheap - if you can call $600 cheap [its an addiction isn't it?] I was thinking slipper clutch and quickshifter! yowser! but then I thought well what about the EBS? I scoured all my back copies of bike mags from the years - that was a whole evening of entertainment reading and getting sidetracked by Bimota articles and bits about Godet Vincents and found 5 reviews of the 06 Brute 910. Three of them mentioned that the Brute has the EBS system. NO, Brutales NEVER had EBS, despite what the Mags say over and over--Always hate how they complained it never worked

question 4:

Does the 910 Have the Engine breaking system or not?. Definitive answer please. No.

question 5:

If you disable the epa air canister charcoal thingy set up does that fuck up the ebs in some way? I wondered because my bike used to have less compression braking I think. Then again I am probably imagining it. Not that I have wheel hop issues - but I'm thinking about taking this bike to the track and if I can go up the gears like lightning, tapping down three or four like Rossi appeals to the inner motogp wannabe in me. Yes, you will have tuning issues.

I still get quite a bit of buzzing through the throttle that puts my hand to sleep - I have new [untried] bar end weights with the crg mirrors [and new black clutch and brake master cylinder covers from the pirates lair nice] Should help, also try gel grips.

question 6:

Has anyone tried a bar snake? results? which size did you get?

The bar height and shape is a quandry for me and I'm searching for a new bend, the bars on the BMW F800st may be perfect but are they tapered? so Question 7:

Has anybody changed the bars to a different bend? - other than Monster bars - like LSL's superbike bars?

I was reading a thread the other day on this site where somebody categorically stated that Massimo Tamburini did not design the Brute, only the F4 [yeah they're both F4's but you know what i mean] and yes the 'F' does stand for Ferrari. So 'F' you too. Total bollocks, MT definitely designed the Brutale.

Question 7:

Did Tambo design the Brutale? links to your positive affirmation - cite your source please.

Well that's it for now boys and girlies.

Illustrations below:
Comments in Red

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Ah yes Matris - I'll give them a look,
I'm going to drop the front 5mm - don't want to shorten the wheel base any more than I have.
Tunning issues taken care of by powercommander and Airfuel's dyno.
Bars anyone?

Point me to the MV sit where it says MT designed the Brute please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Ah yes Matris - I'll give them a look,
I'm going to drop the front 5mm - don't want to shorten the wheel base any more than I have.
Tunning issues taken care of by powercommander and Airfuel's dyno.
Bars anyone?

Point me to the MV sit where it says MT designed the Brute please.
http://www.mvagusta.it/_vti_g2_st4.aspx?rpstry=24_

Did Gehry really design the Guggenheim in Bilbao, FLLW the NY Gugg, etc, etc...?

Tamburini is the Director and Head Designer of CRC--Who designed the F4 and Brutale (among other bikes). Designers work as a team--Anyone who claims to be a sole designer is likely full of it. Ask Pete (Velocemoto) how this works.

I know I'll find it eventually, but there are old interviews with MT, about the release of the Brutale Serie Oro--He never takes full credit for any design (not even the F4 Tamburini), but he does speak about his aspirations, intentions and efforts in designing the Brutale (in concert with the team at CRC).

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Take off the Evap USA canister and forget it. Will not affect tuning at all if done right. No EBS...never was.

Yes, the right grip will buzz your hand to sleep at certain RPMs...yes the weighted bar ends will help...Bar Snake never responded to my inquires, so I have no idea. I gave up on them. They are Harley Cruiser people and have no clue.

Get your suspension set up by someone that knows what they are doing. This bike handles fantastic.

Do you really give a damn if there is proof Tamburini designed it? The bike is one of the sexiest machines ever made. Who cares?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Established Member

Some really good questions, I know I've wondered about a lot of those things also.

I'd love to hear more on the different handle bar setups also... I actually really like the standard setup for 90% of my riding but I do feel I could get more aggressive with clip-ons or a more aggressive bar at the track. How difficult would it be to swap out the bars for clip-ons for track days? If it's a quick enough swap I might invest in that.

On my 750 engine braking hasn't been much of an issue but I am cautious when downshifting. I can appreciate the benefits of a slipper since I've had them on my other bikes. The one above re-uses the stock clutch plates, I wonder how much life we'd get out of those? Any feedback from users would be great!

07 White/Black F4 1000R -- SOLD
04 Matte Black Brutale S -- SOLD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Cool

Double clutch anyone?

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM

My bike is still standard shift. Too many bikes in the stable to risk changing it. Even my track bike is standard.
You will just need either the push or pull type quickshifter depending if you are regular or GP shift.

Yank the charcoal canister, no tuning effected.

No EBS on the brute.

Check ride height and set sag like normal.

Slipper clutch is cool. One going on the track bike this winter. If not, raise idle and tweak the PC for less engine braking.

Great bike on the track!!

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Who makes a valve kit and where can I get springs? Hyperpro? Has anyone really redone their forks oil, springs and valving?
Getting springs is a bitch because the springs in the Zoocci's are tapered - not the same diameter all the way through.

Some will tell you that they can make "spacers" that you can adapt to use Ohlins springs, but I have never found anyone that can produce such parts.

Hyperpro does make a progressive spring kit for the 910S. The front springs are conical just like the stock.

I'm posting a new combination kit (front and rear springs) for sale in the classifieds. You can PM me directly to find out more.

Last edited by insider; 01-07-2009 at 03:34 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 PM

regarding question 6: I switched to "cafe" bars and it's quite nice. Completely removed the whole sitting up aspect of the bike, which I prefer. Once it stops being hellish outside (and the caveat, I remember) I'll get some photos of them posted for ya.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode