New Brutale 910R owner - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

New Brutale 910R owner

Yea! I'm the new owner of a '97 910R I purchased used for Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay.

Luckily I haven't been hit by the economic downturn and had a good year, and decided that I needed a new bike. My last bike was an FZ1 which I sold about a year ago. I've also owned a Yamaha 600 cruiser (my first bike), BMW R1100RS, a CBR XX, an Aprilia RSV Mille R, and two racebikes, an FZR400 and a GSXR600. I used to race a few years ago, but stopped after breaking my knee and femur.

Late last week, I decided that I was going to go look at bikes, and after a little bit of research, I thought maybe I was going to get a BMW K1200R. I went to look at the K1200R in Orlando, and wasn't totally impressed. I also saw the K1200S and thought maybe that would be a good bike. Over the weekend, I also went and looked at the Hyabusa and the Kawasaki ZX14. I hadn't ridden anything, but nothing was really grabbing me.

Then I went to Euro Cycles and when I got out of my car I saw this bike that I had never seen before, but thought it looked amazing. Of course, it was a Brutale 750 that the service tech at Euro Cycles owned. I then noticed the new Brutale 910R they had and also saw that they had two '97 Brutale R's used, as well as a K1200S used.

After talking with the sales person, John, I convinced him to let me take a ride on the used Brutale and the K1200S.

We went out, and I had the Brutale first, and he was riding the K1200S. My first thoughts after starting the bike was, wow, this sounds like a bike. I mean, a real ride. We putted down the street at a leasurly pace. Since I hadn't been on a bike for a year, I was timid and took it slow. It felt good. It sounded good...and of course, it looked amazing.

We switched after about 5 minutes and I got on the K1200S. I thought that was going to be the bike for me. The first thing I noticed about the K1200 was the smoothness. This bike was smooth...almost too smooth...it didn't seem to have any real character. I also noticed that it put me in a much more aggressive position...one I was more comfortable in initially, but after just a few minutes, I realized that I didn't really want to be stretched over the tank. The pressure on my wrists was noticable right away.

I left on Saturday still undecided. I liked the feel and look of the Brutale, but didn't know anything about the bike. I knew the K1200 wasn't going to do it for me.

After research this weekend and reading up on the Brutale, I decided I was going to go for it. I came up with what I was going to offer for the bike and went back on Monday.

The sales manager wasn't there on Monday, so I gave my offer and left. Later that day they called and said they were going to accept the offer.

Today I went in and bought the bike. A '97 910R with 3000 miles. I think I got a great deal on the bike.

I rode off today, and wow...after a couple of minutes I was comfortable on the bike and started to love the feel of it. I loved how it accelerated, the sound of the bike, and the position the bike put me in. I rode down the road, pulled up to a stoplight, and the bike stalled. I then rode around for a few more hours today and the bike stalled over 10 times. I was both happy with my choice of the Brutale and was very concerned about the stalling.

I took the Brutale back to the dealer later today and told them about the stalling. They sent the bike back to Jay, their tech with the Brutale, and he went about tuning the bike. It was running very rich. He tuned it up, and I rode it away tonight and had no stalls on my 30 minute trip back home. I'm very optimistic that the stalling is fixed.

So there you go! I'm quite excited about the new bike in the garage, and can't wait for tomorrow to go riding some more! I'm already planning to replace those deer-ear mirrors with some bar end mirrors (both so I can see and because it makes the bike look so much meaner).

Anyway, thats it for now!

Shawn

Last edited by spmorgan; 01-04-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Good luck Shawn.
You are going to love it.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Congrats!! You bought a real collector item, a one-off bike, a bike that was before its time and you don't even know it! You are the only person in the world who owns a '97 Brutale 910R.

No matter what year your 910R is, isn't it the absolute COOOOOLEST ride ever?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM

Congrats and welcome!

The Kid
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Congratulations!

You made a great choice in selecting the Brutale. I assume that when you say you bought a '97 910R you really mean an '07 910R, though...right?

There are a ton of Brutie owners on this site that can give you some great ideas for bike modifications and such. Be careful -- it's an illness for most of us!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ah yes....new love. It is an amazing bike. Get used to her and then hang on. Congratulations and welcome to the family.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Congrats on your new 910R, you're gonna love it. I'm also a new MV owner as I purchased my 08 910S in November...I love it, very exclusive, looks killer, and oh...it sounds fantastic (MV Corse full Ti system). I also have a K1200S, it's a completely different ride...runs like a raped ape...but as you said, it does put you in a more wrist heavy riding position (although not nearly as extreme as the Hayabusa or ZX-14) until you hit the highway, then it's a total HOOT!

For me, I have the best of both worlds, my Brutale for a rapid pace Hooligan-twisties ride, and my K1200S for loading up and disappearing for a week or so of rapid pace, leering grin fun.

Life's too short to go slow...

Barry
08 Brutale 910S, 11 BMW K1300S
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
SGR
Established Member

Good choice !
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Established Member

Congrats, Shawn. Hope you have tons of fun with it, and Welcome.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard! It won't be long before you will be a true member of the brotherhood and F4 riders will be jealous of you.

CAG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode