Air Intakes Installation - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Air Intakes Installation

I Am To Fit New Air Intakes To My Brutale.
Is It A Bolt-on Fit, Or Do I Have To Take The Tank Off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 PM

You will have to remove the tank. It's easy, just remove the rear tank bolt under the driver's seat, remove the tank brackets located underneath each tank side panel, unplug the fuel and power connections under the tank that go to the fuel pump, and lift the tank off the bike.

Be very careful not to lift the tank too high and stress the fuel line connectors under the tank before you unplug them -- they are plastic and can break easily. You should have 2 fuel lines, 1 power plug, and 1 overflow tube under the tank.

Once the tank is off, you will see 3 tiny screws attaching each air intake panel to the tank.

Have fun, and don't rush. It's probably a bit easier if you have a friend lift the tank slightly for you while you unplug the connectors at the fuel pump.

Last edited by G.Rand; 12-29-2008 at 11:27 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks. I thought it would be easier.
Scary those fuel line connectors. Is it easy to unplug them? May I access the 3 tiny screws without completely removing the tank and unplugging the fuel line connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM

You will have to remove the tank to do the job. Don't be scared about it at all, it's really quite easy.

The fuel line connectors are easy to operate -- there is a small tab on the fuel pump where the fuel line inserts into the pump that you will push to release the lines from the pump. It will all make sense to you once you see what you are working with.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 AM

If you don't have a separate set of hands, you can use a 2x4 or any other pieces of wood lying around to do the same thing. Also, if you end up busting those plastic fuel thingers, I've seen them advertised on eBay for $20 or so bucks.

Time is a delusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM

It helps to have an empty gas tank too... mine was totally full and I didn't have a second set of hands, lol. I managed though. Those little fuel connectors are GREAT! Makes it so much easier! It really is so much better to work on this thing than any other bikes I have had...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Established Member

I did not remove the tank or unplug the fuel lines, when I put my MV Corse ones on my 06 910S. I had a friend help me and I just lifted the tank up enough to be able to get a wrench on the bolts and remove them. I did put a small amount of Blue Loctite on the bolts when I reinstalled the new ones. Took about 10 minutes max.

Cheers, Phil
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phactory View Post
I did not remove the tank or unplug the fuel lines, when I put my MV Corse ones on my 06 910S. I had a friend help me and I just lifted the tank up enough to be able to get a wrench on the bolts and remove them. I did put a small amount of Blue Loctite on the bolts when I reinstalled the new ones. Took about 10 minutes max.

Cheers, Phil
This sounds to me much easier and hassle free as far as I dont spoil the plastic fuel connectors. How far can you pull up the tank?
Around 10cm (4'') will do ?
As G.Rand says : 'It will all make sense to you once you see what you are working with'. Hope so...

Thanks to all for your invaluable help.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Established Member

Jaime,

Yes it was about that much. You just have to remove all of the ancillary stuff around the tank, plus the mounts, one on each side. Lift more from the front than the back and you will be fine.

Good luck, Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAIME View Post
This sounds to me much easier and hassle free as far as I dont spoil the plastic fuel connectors. How far can you pull up the tank?
Around 10cm (4'') will do ?
As G.Rand says : 'It will all make sense to you once you see what you are working with'. Hope so...

Thanks to all for your invaluable help.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 PM

If you decide to install the intake panels without pulling the tank off the bike, be careful not to pull the tank too high without disconnecting the fuel lines. If you lift the tank too high, you run the risk of cracking the plastic fuel connectors.

I still think you should pull the tank completely off and remove the risk of breaking your connectors. If you remove the tank brackets, you are one step away from removing the tank anyway -- you'd just have to disconnect the fuel pump and you're there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode