Fitting Carbon Fiber Air Intake Side Covers? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Fitting Carbon Fiber Air Intake Side Covers?

Recently bough some carbon fiber pieces on e-bay. It is not clear to me how one changes out the side air intake covers. It would appear that the fuel tank needs to be removed, but it is not clear how one does that either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Established Member

I did this on my 06 910S. You don't have to remove the tank, but you do have to loosen it up enough to lift it at the front. There are some side mounts that do need to be removed to accomplish this. Best to have someone help you hold the tank up while you unscrew the pieces from the back. Should take about 20 minutes total.

Phil
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

its a brutale, it really doesnt matter....just tape them on with some duct tape.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
As duct tape doesn't hold well in high humidity...need to do it correctly. Can someone provide more specific instructions on removing/loosening the tank?

Thanks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM

I'm currently in the process of installing lots of CF pieces, along with a new MV full Ti exhaust. As part of the new full exhaust I had to replace the stock ECU, which involves removing the fuel tank. I just today put the new intake covers on the tank, and as I already had to remove the tank anyway, it was a very easy install.

There is just one bolt holding the tank in place, remove the rear pillion, and then the seat, easy to remove by the way. Then you'll see the tank retaining bolt, once it's removed, remove the covers below the tank, pull the rear out and then the front portion will slide out towards the rear...then you can lift the tank (it's easier to have someone hold the tank, heavy with fuel) while you disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connection for the fuel pump. With another person you can have it off in ten minutes.

The CF intake covers look really nice by the way!

Barry
08 Brutale 910S, 11 BMW K1300S
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
remove key guard. remove side frame covers. remove seats. remove allen screw attaching rear of tank to frame. remove 8mm head bolts (6mm thread) and allen head frame cover mounts securing the tank braces on either side of tank. Tank will now be loose and can be lifted up. Do not pull excessively hard on the attached fuel hoses. Best too reach under tank, disconnect fuel pump electric plug, vent/drain hoses and fuel hoses so you can completely remove the tank.

The air inlets are secured with 3 small allen screws apiece.

Good luck.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 12-09-2008 at 10:10 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
SGR
Established Member

any thoughts on replacing the fuel quick disconnects with metal ones ?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
any thoughts on replacing the fuel quick disconnects with metal ones ?
Difficult to do, as the hard inner lining (possibly PVC?) isn't very pliable. It is possible, though. Just be sure --- if you do it -- to do it with the CPC Brand fitting (from Omega), not the cheap-o eBay units that do not have the fuel shut-off valve built into the fitting.

I was at the MV factory last week and addressed this issue with an engineer there. His thought was that the fuel lines shouldn't be tampered with at all. If a fitting cracks, MV recommends replacement of the fuel line unit. FWIW, MV doesn't assemble or manufacture those fuel lines themselves -- they are outsourced and received as complete units from their supplier.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
unless your stock plastic ones are broken, I wouldn't bother.

CAG
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Using due care in handling, you should have no problems with the plastic ones. I have had the tank on and off many times with no problems....that being said, I'll probably break one the next time. Murphy's Law.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode