Emission Issues for Imported Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
ABL

Emission Issues for Imported Brutale

Just read the Thread (And comments) concerning the choices of Exhaust and various system specs..

Think I have prompted this question before concerning my brutale (Italia) purchased in Malaysia (Planning to ship back to USA late 2009), still wating for the Certificate of Conformity (From the Dealer)?? to verify the the emission & spec requirements that would enable me to ship back to the USA next year?? As far as I know it meets European Emission requirements with Cat evedent.. Understanding that the Bike may not be a homologated USA compliant model (What is the difference appart from the Lights etc..

I have emailed MV Italy several times with Vin Number requesteing conformation of the relevanrt standards that this bike was manufactured to?? No reply..

Can't leave it behind... No issues concerning additional costs to make the bike complient when I get it home..

Many thanks for any advise

ABL
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I am not the government expert here, but this is what I know is specific to USA models:

Front turn signals must be a minimum distance apart. US spec bikes have extensions to the turn signal stalks approximately 3 inches long to achieve this. I have mine removed for a much tidier look (same as all other countries).

Reflectors are required on front and rear of bike. You will see yellow reflector decals on front fenders of US bikes (I peeled mine off) and red reflector stickers on the tail sections (I left mine on for a touch of color there).

California bikes must have evaporative emissions system (gas tank vents into a collection device - charcoal canister - which then vents collected vapors into intake tract to burn). Non-California bikes don't require this (yet) but all USA MVs are California compliant since 2005.

Headlamp reflector must be designed for right side of road driving. Not sure what your bike may have for headlamp beam or even if it would be looked at.

Beyond that, I think your bike would meet USA DOT/NHTSA specs. The emissions specs should be fine (except for California) if it meets European specs for date of manufacture......Oh, but don't install the Corse mufflers until you get it here. They don't meet noise emission standards (and say so on the muffler).

Good luck. Hope that is some help.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
ABL

Again, many thanks..

Am I right in thinking that that this would change should I fit the Arrow (Corsa) SYSTEM from the Malaysia Dealer as noted in provious post..

Thanks

ABL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Those Corse mufflers do not meet EPA noise standards. Install them after you get here. Or put the originals back on for the inspection, then change back again after you get here. I think that if you look at the top can you will see the markings "closed course competition use only"...at least mine have that stamped in.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 AM

New Site Garage
Standard a Italia is 910R euro3, so it should be california spec as well. without any modifications that is.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

ABL I am talking from experiance there is really no way that that coustomes is going to let that bike into this country if it was not made to be here from the factory they wont let it in. Sorry the only way I know of I have done it this way is to ship the bike to Canada and have someone who lives in Canada and in USA pick it up from Canada coustomes and ride it over the border to there house in the USA regaster it in that state and then you pick it up from them and regaster it your state. Not worth the hassle. just take off your tank and fender and tail section and ship it here thats no problem then buy a R here and switch parts then send the painted parts back to your bike there.

1983 Suzuki Katana 1100SD
2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
2007 Husky TE 450
1975 Norton 850 850 Commando MK111
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
ABL I am talking from experiance there is really no way that that coustomes is going to let that bike into this country if it was not made to be here from the factory they wont let it in. Sorry the only way I know of I have done it this way is to ship the bike to Canada and have someone who lives in Canada and in USA pick it up from Canada coustomes and ride it over the border to there house in the USA regaster it in that state and then you pick it up from them and regaster it your state. Not worth the hassle. just take off your tank and fender and tail section and ship it here thats no problem then buy a R here and switch parts then send the painted parts back to your bike there.

1983 Suzuki Katana 1100SD
2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
2007 Husky TE 450
1975 Norton 850 850 Commando MK111

Street Sweeper may have a good point......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Pondarosa I got your Street Sweeper.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
Pondarosa I got your Street Sweeper.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode