Arrow full system - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Arrow full system

Hi all..

New to the site , Getting my 910r on Saturday but looking at exhaust options, Have a bit of cash left from other bike sales so was looking at the arrow full system with ti or carbon cans

Good price on them so i am tempted , but it says eprom avail for 750 only. Now

If i fit them what are the chances it will make something way off , will it run ok or like a bag o crap. I know some systems will go on without many mods , but others are a pig.
Also will i need to visit a dealer to reset owt, new to MV,s so be gentle

Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
A lot depends on if you are getting Euro3 spec bike or earlier. o2 sensor on Euro3 bikes makes tuning for exhaust more difficult/expensive. Earlier bikes can easily be remapped with a chip or Power Commander.

Congrats on your new ride. You're gong to love it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

HI mate. Its a 2007/8 model in black with the red stripe..

Would it be best to leave it standard or go for the arrow ?

Does anyone sell eproms that can be used like the ducati 748/916 used to when using open cans. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM

A 2008 Brutale 910r (here in the USA) is Euro3. This means the headers and mid pipe with cat are one piece. There is an ECU (black box) instead of an EPROM (chip). If you remove and replace the stock exhaust you need to deal with the O2 sensor. stuck in the cat area of the pipe. To simply unplug it is a no no since I think this tells the ECU not to allow the bike to be started. So you either need to find an exhaust system with a mount for the O2 sensor or get a Race ECU. With a Race ECU you can remove and toss the O2 sensor. The Race ECU replaces the stock ECU. The ECU is not a chip, but a complete enclosed black box that replaces the stock unit. It is a simple unplug the stock and plug in the Race ECU installation, but requires removal of the fuel tank and air box as the 2008 ECU is located behind the throttle bodies/heads. While you have all this apart you might well also remove the carbon canister (inside fuel tank), the related lines and plug the 4 holes in the cylinder head. This tidies things up, removes a a little weight and gets you another pint of fuel in the tank since the carbon canister is hidden in the fuel tank and takes up volume.

Just a week ago I completed the removal/replacement of the stock exhaust and ECU. I replaced the stock ECU with the Race ECU, removed the carbon canister and related lines and plugged things up. The bike runs MUCH better and this to me was a very worth while mod (new pipe and Race ECU - carbon canister and related lines is simply a cosmetic/tidy thing). The throttle response from idle to 2,000 or 3,000 rpm on the stock bike was snatchy and is now very smooth. On the stock bike there was a surging at 5,000-6,000 rpm. That is now gone. I am very pleased with how the bike runs. It also removed some weight, sounds great and looks better without the fat cat belly. I did not dyno tune the bike. Right now, for me, the programming in the Race ECU seems to work fine. No popping, no hiccups or burps, the bike runs smooth and strong throughout the RPM range. Plus, there is some discussion/debate about whether one can currently use a Power Commander to tune a Euro3 with Race ECU. Although it sounds like one or more vendors is working on something. But again, simply replacing the stock ECU with the Race ECU worked fine for me.

Although I did the exhaust/ECU removal and installation myself, I did take the bike to the dealer to have them check/reset the TPS (throttle position sensor). Following the exhaust/ECU installation the idle changed from 1,400 to 2,200 and the dealer corrected this.

Yes, the exhaust swap is worth while, but be sure you check things about before buying if they bike is set up for Euro3. For me an exhaust and Race ECU was very worthwhile. Race ECU units are available from your dealer or the internet stores such as eMoto and Vesuvio and perhaps others.

By the way, I went with an MV Agusta Corse race exhaust and MV Agusta Corse Race ECU.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I have been through a variety of exhaust mods on my 2008 910R, starting with just Arrow mufflers (sounded great, ran great, looked great, weighed less). No tuning required. My dealer's tech (an ex-AMA race tech with FBF team running MV in 2007) had already tuned the bike for smooth throttle and no surge (there was an updated ECU from MV for the surge).

Next I got a set of FBF race headers, onto which I installed an o2 sensor bung (very easy and inexpensive). Bike still ran good, but I had to install the dB killers in the Arrow mufflers or it was too lean. Still a tad lean with the dB killers, but not bad.

Then I got the MV Corse mufflers...these would not run with the stock ECU...too lean. I bought a race MV "kit" ECU (part number is in the parts catalog with the "special kit" exhaust system). I got mine from a forum member, but available from dealer for about $800. Also installed a BMC air cleaner at the same time. Other than idle trim and TPS reset, no tuning done (ala Power Commander). Runs outstanding and VERY fast.

I also pulled the evap can out of the tank. You have to plug the atmospheric vent in the back side of the tank (I used an 8mm vacuum plug from auto supply), run a hose from the cap vent to the pump base, T the vent outlet on pump base to the water drain hose also on the pump base.

I left the hoses from the intake manifolds to their mounts on either side of the bike and bought 6mm vacuum plugs at an auto store to plug where the evap can's hoses had attached. This gives me a very easy access for synchronization tool attachment and is the same as the non-USA non-evap emissions equipped bikes.

Since the race ECU doesn't control the second air relay anymore I also pulled all that plumbing off and capped the inlets on the cylinder head with some more vacuum plugs (12mm) from the auto parts store. A little less weight and complexity. Sealed off the now open wiring connector to prevent moisture entry and allow future return to stock. The o2 sensor is still in the pipe and plugged into the harness, it's just not doing anything.

I may still go for a Power Commander, but don't feel I really need it. Most of these changes have been documented in various threads and in my album.

I would highly recommend the Arrow mufflers as a great place to start while you break in your beauty and get used to her performance....unless you just want to spend ALL the money, in which case I strongly recommend the complete "Special Kit" exhaust from MV in the parts catalog. Titanium and comes with the ECU....Beautiful, sounds great and runs properly...just ask Randarosa. That's whats on his bike.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 11-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
...unless you just want to spend ALL the money, in which case I strongly recommend the complete "Special Kit" exhaust from MV in the parts catalog. Titanium and comes with the ECU....Beautiful, sounds great and runs properly...just ask Randarosa. That's whats on his bike.
Yep.....

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Established Member

This is the system I have on mine, it comes with the chip and is soooooo loud it sounds like a moto GP above 6000 rpm.
Attached Images

2007 Ducati MS4Rs(sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tri.(sold)
2004 Moto Corse Brutale America(sold) 2006 Ducati 999R (sold)
2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
2010 Ducati 1198S Corse
2012 Multistrada 1200 PP
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Well i phoned the garage up today & the salesman was very good. EVen tho he is,nt an MV dealer he used to be & he said its deffo a 2008 model with the sensor.

I will get it on Saturday & weighup my options. My 999 has a full zard system on it & that is the dogs..........

Just waiting for some carbon to arrive tommorow & i will post some pics. Weather not looking too good & i,m facing a 3 hour ride home & this bike has never seen rain.

Well it probably will on Saturday
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Randy has the full Titanium system? That bastard. He bought it with the bush tax cut for the wealthy.

CAG
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Randy has the full Titanium system? That bastard. He bought it with the bush tax cut for the wealthy.

CAG
I guess I did Carl..... I'll likely have to give it back soon, but not without a fight.

Yesterday, I spent time at our local probate judge......filling out documentation to get my concealed weapon carrying permit.....then I went out a bought another pistol.... That's actually the truth, but not because of any political changes.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode