2014 1090r - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

2014 1090r

hi to all you lucky brutale owners, I am looking at a used 2014 1090r and would like some feedback please on the reliability,servicing and also on the throttle response of this model. I have previously owned a 2002 f4 750 evo2 and the throttle was just awful as it was like a on off switch and the servicing was expensive as it was every 4,000 klm and broken fuel injectors were a common problem for me. Do you think that a earlier model is actually better on these issues, perhaps a 2010 ,2011or 2012. I have owned many bikes and no other bike sounds like a MV or gives me the owner satisfaction that these beauty's do. I like the r version over the rr because of the higher torque figures. A rr would be wasted on me because if your caught doing more than 40kph over the speed limit here its a automatic loss of licence for 6 months and a appointment with the judge. Does the r version wheelie?Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 AM

Both bikes are pretty reliable , unfortunately like Rob he had to dismantle his motor to find same metal shavings that he found in his sump , is it a one of , probably , my mate tony has had 3 1090 rr up to 2012 , no issues these models have the black engine , max torgue at 8200 rpm by memory ?.
If they are left standard no exhaust mods they are pretty smooth with no snatchy throttle , but this sounds like a hit and miss situation as others have reported .

We have always fitted pc5 and a dyno run to get them spot on , Chris from x bikes also has the microtec ecu wich totally transforms the fuelling ,

Typical , cam chain tensioner issues on some bikes , but basically the 2010 to 2012 model was great , still some guys did have minor issues , my other mate has the 2013 to 2014 and his bike is slightly snatchy but he doesn't care and I couldn't be bothered fixing for him,LOL.

See if you can pick up a low km bike and you will love it .

Also a big bonus they are easy to fix when your warranty runs out , DIY.

I still have my 2008 b1078 , no snatchy throttle , and do all my own mechanical fixes thanks to the guys on this forum ,
Just go and test ride it around some twisties , and buy it,

Wheelies , oh yeah even at 140 km an hour , up she goes.

Cheers eddy
The Following User Says Thank You to eddypro For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Eddy, the one I am looking at has 4,000 plus klm and he is asking $15,000 you often see them for sale just before the 6,000klm service is due as I guess the owners are trying to avoid this cost. I would be fitting a hydro form exhaust. I am in Townsville and no one sells them here anymore but there is a very good bike tuner in Cairns who is skilled on the dyno and he is also a service agent for MV and Ducati. Are the valve service intervals every 6,000klm or longer? I loved my F4 but gee it was expensive to service although I never did oil changes on it but I will on the Brutale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

I was originally going to buy a new rr back in 2012 but shit happened and I never got around to it. If you look at my old post 9/15/12 you can read what happened to my F4, its a sad story under the title "they killed my mv".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 06:08 AM

Ok , they can be a bitch to live with , but there is no other bike that I have ridden that gives me an a adrenaline rush like an Mv end of story , yes I have the Gs 1200 now but riding the 1078 just takes me to a different level of excitement , sorry to here of your issues , but honestly my bike is 2008 model and people still would love to have it , they are addictive .

Cheers eddy
Ok I have had a few
The Following User Says Thank You to eddypro For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 AM

All B4 1090 is quite reliable as they kept it simple and with old fashioned tech.
With 1st gear low throttle and low speed issue, I usually stick it in 2nd gear to smooth it out. Too easy.
As for serviceing is the same as any other bike but much simpler and quicker MV was designed for racing, quick release and easy of access.
MV is a premium brand that's why they can charge you through the nose.
I got the the RR 2012, because I wanted a black engine and the forged superlite wheels. I do ride it as if I stole it.

I feel the need, the need for corner speed!
Rollen Artwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to mvrick For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

I bought my F4 brand new back in 2002 when Paul Feeny was the OZ distributor, he came up here with a demo model and I booked a test ride. I had previously owned other inline fours such as a Kawasaki z650 and gpz900 and Suzuki gs850 and Katana 1100 but they had the character of a vacum cleaner. When I first saw the demo in the flesh I was stunned at its beauty and then I took it for a test ride with Paul following behind, by the time I pulled up at the first set of traffic lights I was shaking my head in disbelief at the sound and character coming from this inline 4.Paul saw me shaking my head and pulled up beside me and said "whats the matter mate no good" and I said "ill tell you when we get back". On returning I told him that I could not believe that anyone could ever make a inline 4 like this weapon that oozes the character and sound that I had just experienced and he said 'take it home for the night". The next day I proudly purchased the first MV ever sold in Townsville and this record stood for the next year and a half until the second one was sold, there is no one like the Italians when it comes to putting soul into a motorcycle even a inline 4. I have not heard of anyone having broken fuel injectors on a brutale so it looks like MV have solved this issue as I had 3 brake on separate occasions at a cost of $260 each. I also had rear hub issues back then but it looks like this can be overcome now thanks to Mitchys Hub and I am confident that that Bikecraft in Cairns can tune it for me as Russel is very skilled on his Dyno. The feedback I am getting from you guys is positive and I am now leaning towards the black engine model because if I am correct it has a little less tech to complicate things am I right in saying that the later 2014 onwards had the ride by wire and ABS ? Also am I right in saying that the oil changes are every 6,000klm now and also what is the valve adjustment intervals now as my old F4 was 4.000klm for oil AND valve adjustment. I am retired now and need to weigh up these factors as well because I also own 2 KTM . Thanks in advance, Baz.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM

2014 model I think they still use cable just check on the throttle if there is 2 cable adjusters sticking out.
And added ABS on this model.
My mates mv have all done over 80K kms and haven't even touched the valve adjustment. A good grade of oil is key.

Last edited by mvrick; 10-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mvrick For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:12 PM

New Site Garage
2015 1090RR here and no issues from new, but only done 5K miles so far

The fuelling is spot on, in fact everything is, its a lovely bike to ride. Sure, there are a handful of other pokey naked bikes out there now, all with latest electronics etc, but none look or sound as nice as the Brutale

In hindsight a 1090R is probably the better engine for the road, the extra bhp of the RR is all top end. You are probably going to change out all the upgrade parts anyway as you go along. I just wanted a particular colour scheme and have ended upgrading most bits to Corsa spec after other than wheels n forks

cheers
bogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode